ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 K4 - bad Corsair RAM support before UEFI 2.1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 K4 - bad Corsair RAM support before UEFI 2.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 K4 - bad Corsair RAM support before UEFI 2.1
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:39pm
Hello. I currently assemble my build - and it does boot but I have no display signal. Screen is blank, and I don't see anything. Obviously I can't access my BIOS. I use HDMI since I don't have any other cables.
All fans (CPU and chasis) starts working, and RGB lightning on GPU is working too. Then they turn off so apparently I get a boot loop with my mobo. I checked power cables, and they seem to be fine. I tried to clean up CMOS and use one memory stick instead of two but it didn't help.
Also important notice - Dr Debug shows some strange code ("Ad"). I don't know what that means.

This is what exactly happens with my PC: https://vimeo.com/214201312

My specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock X370 Gaming K4 
Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 2x8GB
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB
1TB HDD + 120GB Samsung 850 EVO
FSP Hydro G 750W

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I bought a new Ram - this time from ADATA (AX4U2400W8G16-SRD), and it works fine.
It allows me to get into BIOS - which was of the version 1.60.
I updated it to a newest available version (2.1) and then I thought about trying to run the mobo with the troubled Corsair memory sticks. Now they work fine too!

Edited by Derreck - 23 Apr 2017 at 4:14pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:54pm
making a large assumption here but
seeing as the rx580 is a brand new release do you by chance have another graphics card you can try just to see if its an issue with the rx580 ?
have you tried using ram slots a2 and b2 (these are the defualt choice for two sticks)
have you tried without any hard drives and dvd connected these are not needed to boot to bios for test purpose
now dont be insulted here but a few other tips suggested (not knowing your level of skills)
have you connected the extra cpu power plug to top left side of board ?
double checked the front panel connectors are in the right place ? eg reset/hd led/pwr sw etc etc
tried just one stick in all four different ram slots
tried another hdmi slot on graphics card
made sure the card is in the pcie x16 slot closest to the cpu
connected the cpu fan to the correct cpu fan header

some things to try

Edited by datonyb - 21 Apr 2017 at 10:54pm
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Derreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the answer! 

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

making a large assumption here but 
seeing as the rx580 is a brand new release do you by chance have another graphics card you can try just to see if its an issue with the rx580 ?

Unfortunately I can't as this is my first build in years and all I have is installed inside the chassis.

have you tried using ram slots a2 and b2 (these are the defualt choice for two sticks)

Yep, I tried. There are interesting results: when I use one stick in A2 or B2 slots Dr Debug shows this strange Error "Ad". When I use A1 or B1 slots Dr Debug shows Error 46 (which means that problem is with the memory)

have you tried without any hard drives and dvd connected these are not needed to boot to bios for test purpose
have you connected the extra cpu power plug to top left side of board ?
double checked the front panel connectors are in the right place ? eg reset/hd led/pwr sw etc etc
tried just one stick in all four different ram slots
tried another hdmi slot on graphics card
made sure the card is in the pcie x16 slot closest to the cpu
connected the cpu fan to the correct cpu fan header

Yep, tried and rechecked these things. Nothing works.

Honestly, I do think that my problem could be with the memory - this particular model isn't in the QVL list for my motherboard (though there are similar models from the same company). That's sad.

Also I found that my problem is named "Boot loop" - PC starts working then turns off before POST.

Edited by Derreck - 21 Apr 2017 at 11:11pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:08am
I'm sorry but some of your description is contradictory.

In your first post you wrote, "... and it does boot but I have no display signal.". But in your post above, you wrote, "... PC starts working then turns off before POST".

Can you please sort that out for us? I know things change when you try things like moving the memory, but it is confusing.

If you are seeing Dr Debug POST codes, then POST is running.

Are all your parts new?

Any "Ax" POST code is related to SATA devices. You said you tried all the things datonyb listed, but did that include disconnecting power to your drives?

Your problem could be related to memory compatibility, it's the biggest issue we currently have with Ryzen systems. Memory compatibility is basically random at this point, at least when using models not in the QVL list. Some work great, others not at all.

A setting in the UEFI/BIOS, AMD Advanced Boot Training, attempts to adjust memory settings to allow the memory to work. That causes starts and stops of the PC, which is startling, I understand that.

It's very difficult to diagnose issues with a limited set of hardware to work with. Which is why we need the best description of the situation as possible.
Mike K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:10am
Derreck,

I just got my board today and am also having the same exact issue.
Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock X370 Gaming K4
Kingston HX426C15FBK2/8
MSI R9 390

My GPU is tried and tested, It's been running in my old system for over a year now, The memory I bought is on the QVL list, and when I first booted it up I got error code 03

I followed the advice from what I could dig up on the error codes and removed and re-seated the CPU. removed both sticks of memory and tried each stick one by one in each memory slot. Sometimes I got error 01 sometimes 03 sometimes different letter coded like IE and Ad.

I think it's highly unlikely that both sticks of memory from the kit are bad and neither will get the board to post in any of the 4 slots.

My GPU is like I said tried and tested I know for a fact it works just fine.

But I get nothing coming up on the screen, during booting the error code pops up, then the board powers down after 15-20 seconds and re-boots again automatically

I have sent a request for support, so If I hear anything from them I'll let you know here since your also having the same exact problem as I am.
Derreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:30am
Sorry for misunderstanding. I meant that I can't get to BIOS and stuck in a boot loop.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Are all your parts new?

Yes, all is brand new.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Any "Ax" POST code is related to SATA devices. You said you tried all the things datonyb listed, but did that include disconnecting power to your drives?

I removed all SATA cables from the mobo and disconnect devices from the PSU.

To help you understand my situation I made a short video. This is how my PC *works*. I removed GPU for testing purposes but it doesn't make a difference: mobo is stuck in a endless loop with or without graphics card. It starts, works for like 30 secs and then turns off on its own.
https://vimeo.com/214201312

Edited by Derreck - 22 Apr 2017 at 12:30am
Derreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Mike K Mike K wrote:

Sometimes I got error 01 sometimes 03 sometimes different letter coded like IE and Ad.

Yep, that's exactly what I got! (either error 46 or Ad).

I also filed a support ticket so if I can find a solution I'll write here.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:46am
ASRock boards seem to have trouble booting up with certain peripheral headers plugged in. On 3 different boards, unplugging USB3.0 headers resolved similar "no boot screen" issues for me. Worth a try?

EDIT: Probably worth mentioning.. Each time, the problematic attached device was a NZXT front-panel memory card/USB adapter. Either these devices don't last very long, or there's some sort of ASRock + NZXT issue.

EDIT: Guess I should've said, try trimming the fat on your system. Disconnect everything that isn't absolutely necessary to boot up. 1 stick of RAM, boot drive, CPU + cooling solution, and graphics card. Nothing else. Audio header, all USB headers, all connected peripherals in back (including keyboard + mouse); disconnect them all.

If you still can't boot up after that, try swapping the graphics card around. Triple check the connections on your graphics card. Try a different PCIe power source/plug. You may even try disconnecting your boot drive.

Edited by twf85 - 22 Apr 2017 at 1:56am
Derreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:09am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

ASRock boards seem to have trouble booting up with certain peripheral headers plugged in. On 3 different boards, unplugging USB3.0 headers resolved similar "no boot screen" issues for me. Worth a try?

Thanks for the suggestions! I removed all my USB headers and disconnected a chassis fan but unfortunately it didn't help.

I don't have any spare GPU or RAM to test so I guess I'm stuck here for now.

Edited by Derreck - 22 Apr 2017 at 2:09am
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:30am
After doing all of that, try clearing the CMOS. I usually disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds. Also, disconnect your 1TB HDD. I once had a Seagate HDD that stalled my boot up time by several minutes. I only discovered it has holding up the system once it finally failed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic