ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X370 Gaming K4 temperature reporting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 temperature reporting
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:34am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hi all,

I was running through some overclocking options and i realize that the bios/asrock f stream is not following the CPU fan curve that i set up for it.

After some investigation, i realise that the temp recorded by the motherboard/f-stream software/bios is way lower from ryzen master and HWmonitor, which causes my fan to not spin up relative to actual temps? i assume ryzen master and HWmonitor to be accruate as they are showing the same temps.

It varies from 10-25degrees celcius hotter in HWmonitor and ryzen master than as detected by the bios/ f-stream. For example, fstream: 48degresss, HWmonitor 72degree

Anyone else encountering the same issue?

Thanks!

Edited by EpicPants - 22 Apr 2017 at 11:25am
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:25am
Edited to include more details
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by EpicPants EpicPants wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hi all,

I was running through some overclocking options and i realize that the bios/asrock f stream is not following the CPU fan curve that i set up for it.

After some investigation, i realise that the temp recorded by the motherboard/f-stream software/bios is way lower from ryzen master and HWmonitor, which causes my fan to not spin up relative to actual temps? i assume ryzen master and HWmonitor to be accruate as they are showing the same temps.

It varies from 10-25degrees celcius hotter in HWmonitor and ryzen master than as detected by the bios/ f-stream. For example, fstream: 48degresss, HWmonitor 72degree

Anyone else encountering the same issue?

Thanks!

First, Ryzen 7 series processors report two CPU temperatures, that AMD calls Tdie and Tctl (ctl mean control). Tctl has an offset of +20° C programmed into it relative to Tdie. Some monitoring programs like HWiNFO64 report both Tdie and Tctl, which are consistently 20° C apart.

AMD apparently will use these two temperatures to control the fan speeds of their supplied CPU coolers with the Ryzen 5 series and other Ryzen processors. It's not quite clear why they need to do this yet.

Next, there seems to be a third Ryzen CPU temperature that ASRock supplies from their sensor chip. It is close to Tdie, but does not seem to track it exactly, and appears to be somewhat below Tdie in the short term. It might be another AMD "socket temperature" type of thing, I'm not sure.

If a temperature monitoring program only shows one Ryzen CPU temperature, which do they use? Ryzen Master and HWMonitor seem to use Tctl, and my use of Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64 indicates it is Tctl.

Another thing to consider is, any temperature reading done by a monitoring program is not a continuous analog type of reading. The program reads a temperature in intervals, every second, or three or five seconds. Different monitoring programs have different sampling rates, and may not be synchronized in their sampling rates.

Also if a monitoring program is programmed correctly, it only reads a temperature when nothing else is reading it from the source. If two programs try reading at the same time, that can cause a false reading. So two programs running at the same time can never read a temperature at the same moment. All of this is why you don't see the exact 20° C difference between F-Stream and Ryzen master. Is the temperature you see with Ryzen Master and HWMonitor identical at all times?

If you decide that Ryzen Master is correct, you can compensate for the difference in temperature reading in the fan curves by simply subtracting 20° C from what is shown in the UEFI as the CPU temperature, and using that as base/lowest temperature in the fan curve. Then at 60° C in the fan curve, set the fan speed to 80%. The temperature "number" is really arbitrary anyway, just set the fan speed percentage to be what you want it to be at a specific temperature number

Perhaps ASRock will change what they use to show the CPU temperature in a UEFI update in the future. But if they were to use Tctl, then some users would be asking why their CPU temperature is 43° C at idle, as my Tctl reading currently is. They should be asking AMD, but the mother board always gets blamed first.
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:12pm
Ah okay. Thanks parsec!
I'm not blaming anyone or anything at all.

I just have a lack of knowledge regarding such things and would seek enlightenment from others who have more expertise in the field.. if I were to blame anyone it would be myself for my lack of knowledge.

That said, I'm using the 1700 cpu and I read that it does not have the 20degree offset as compared to the 1700x and 1800x. That was the reason for my confusion. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I see that ASRock uses a different measurement, in that case, would there be an software or something that I could use to adjust my cpu fan speed to the ryzen/HWmonitor temps? I would like it to reflect that instead.

Please help if u can. I really greatly appreciate any sharing of knowledge. I apologise again for my own lack of updatedness
StJorge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StJorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:50pm
Hi, you guys tried F-stream ? My cpu is 1700x but how come F-Stream is reporting in EZ OC as "NOT SUPPORTED" ?? 
Went to operation mode, then Performance mode then "Advanced", but it will tell me EZ OC Not supported. How come?

F-stream version is 3.0.132
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:57pm
Im using F-stream, but it seems to be reporting another CPU temp than HWmonitor, trying to figure it out too
ruspartisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruspartisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:39am
I have the same problem and even created a reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66pbo7/asus_gigabyte_msi_users_hows_your_automatic_fan/

Motherboard does not read Tdie or Tctl for fan control. It seems it uses a sensor under the socket, which is very slow to react: http://imgur.com/zv3RF0b . Tdie/Tctl is read by HWINFO, and is fast to react on load (Prime95), and reported temp is very slow, so is the fan curve.
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:56am
yeah seems like its normal behavior for this board - i had to set the fan curve very aggressively around the 40-50 degree mark for it to work properly; and its not perfect but its a workaround(a lousy one) i suppose.
ruspartisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruspartisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:00am
I've set a more aggressive curve too, but I'm very disappointed with MB's behavior. I've contacted support, but so far they've only told me about Tctl offset, which doesn't apply to R7 1700. I hope it can be fixed with a BIOS update sooner or later, but I'm seriously contemplating changing to ASUS X370 Prime while I can.

I've googled Taichi's reviews, and it seems that it has the same problem: MB reports the wrong temperature, but nobody seem to notice it.
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
The thing I'm wondering though - is there a way to set the fans to run with the actual temp reported in ryzen master? Or is there a way to force change bios to take that temp instead?

Maybe they know of a way around it that's why nobody's saying anything
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic