ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

new bios versions out (dont rush)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:47am
well i must admit
i didnt forsee any heat in this debate when i posted the topic

i was merely having a little chuckle at changing a line of code

what did give me a chuckle is TEAMING UP

jeez i dont work for asrock
i cant recall any conversation or in fact recall any direct reply between me and wardog

but hey if im on the team can i start getting some damn freebees from asrock please ?

as for asus well hey great they got the fastest overclock ram
(from my point of view and many others even if asrock release a super bios today with 135+ bckclk
i still wont be using it ,i rather like my expensive nvme staying stable at 100 mhtz thanks)

now as for asus and the crosshair yes it must be nice having one of the worlds top overclockers writing bios and a group (should that read team) of hardcore overclockers that support the ROG community all willing to test every beta they write
all i read at launch period was bricked asus crosshairs

so may i state my point again ?
lets hope the bios guys at asrock are mainly busy making all efforts to get this upcoming agesa 1005 nice and smooth with no bugs and some real effort to address ram speed out the box without the select few of more financially able people ONLY able to get fast ram with bckclk boards

yes i do have the taichi,getting max on bckclk isnt the reason i bought it
i paid over twice as much because i like the screenprinting LOL
oh no it was actually due to an even number of cute lickle black boxes to the left and top of the cpu socket ...............

come on guys lighten up
give everyone from every brand of board a chance to iron out the early problems
save your concerns for real issues like starving people and corrupt governments and low lifes mugging old people on the streets
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:21am
Well.. Hold on a second. Seems that most in this thread are quick to scoff at this update, remarking how insignificant it is to change the AGESA version string.

Is that really the case?

Not all that familiar with AGESA, but it would seem to me that software may read that string and behave differently depending on the set value.

On the flip side, if I'm wrong, is there really any harm in updating? I'd like to see if there is any change in the Restart to UEFI app.. I would be very pleased if I could decrease my boot times a little.

Happy Testing ;)

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a second page

Originally posted by Kevin A Kevin A wrote:

With such a superior design, why is not the X370 Taichi nor the Fatality X370 Professional Gaming 'ruling' the 'top ten'.

In a word, "cost". People buy ASUS because they have made a name for themselves as being "the best". People buying into that image are more likely to be less cost conscious than people buying into any other brand, such as ASRock. Long and short, you're more likely to see higher quality / higher cost components going into ASUS builds, where people are more likely to be shooting for the highest performance possible.

There's also the fact that, because ASUS is able to command some of the highest prices around due to their reputation, a reviewer pushing the limits of Ryzen would be expected to use ASUS. Otherwise the reviewer might risk their work being perceived as less relevant. "Maximum potential of Ryzen" = "'Best' Parts Available". It all boils down to public perception.

People buy ASRock because you can achieve many of the same things as any other top tier board manufacturer, but at a lower cost.

One man's opinion, but I share your sentiment in the sense that it would be nice to see "my board" competing at the top of the pack. Then again, going strictly off of the RyMem Top10 list, there's no indication that the speeds achieve were stable over a substantial length of time. May just be something they did for bragging rights, or a review.

Which, again, when you're buying the most premium parts available, you may not be that concerned with bricking your components/system. The end game for someone pushing their RAM to beyond the 3600 threshold that isn't even officially available yet, is to see just how far Ryzen can go. You don't head down that path without expecting, on some level, that destruction of property is a potential result.

Edited by twf85 - 06 May 2017 at 2:51am
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:17pm
I agree a new platform will have issues. It did for my I-7 as well as my FX-8350 workstation builds, and they cleared up over time. I set my expectations similarly with Ryzen/AsRock. I did my research into the layout design, the features then I looked into the boards at the 'component' level. The X370 Taichi and the Fatality X370 Professional Gaming have the best 'hardware engineering' and 'design' IMO. No 'sour-ness' of any kind at that level.

It's my experiences with the UEFI/Bios that lead me to post my views - such as they are. Yep, 'Mine'. Also influencing me is not the scores of reviews and tech bloggers and the like but... ONE site.

I believe moderators here at AsRock have linked to it as well. Here it is:
http://rymem.vraith.com/basic/top10

With such a superior design, why is not the X370 Taichi nor the Fatality X370 Professional Gaming 'ruling' the 'top ten'. The site is not biased. It's very 'open-sourced' in it's approach. So due to the fact that the AsRock X370 motherboards are 'hardware superior'..., why are there not even as much as 1 AsRock X370 motherboard on the top ten? AFAIK, they should dominate this board entirely. First place thru Tenth place.(!) Just my (strong,obviously..) view.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:27pm

Ah, the 'team up'!!!

Kev, no teaming up with datonyb from here. If you were to go back and read some of posts you'd discover I don't carry anyone's water. I'll blast ASRock as fast as anyone else. I simply happened to agree with his statement at that time and place. I still do agree with it.

parsec
's point of Asus's 4 vs ASRock's 14 AM4 boards didn't seem to carry much weight with you. Yet in browsing through the other manufacturers forums you certainly had to have read the seeming "confusion' of/by the manuf's concerning BIOS releases and even the pulling of some. I myself actually spend quite a bit of time perusing in manufacturers forums other than ASRocks.

Lest we forget, AM4/Ryzen is a completely new platform. Ground up.

Na. You and I, we bought tickets on the First Adopter Rollercoaster. It's too late to be sour over our choices. First Adopter status carries with it the inherent ups and downs of that ride once strapped in and moving. The ride will end, soon enough.

Just don't barf during this ride as that may be me strapped in behind you WinkTongue

Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:39pm
Excellent news, I downloaded it and haven't had a opportunity to update the BIOS. Just upon hearing there are some new DDR adjustments is a worthy update, and hopefully will assist in me getting my memory to run at 2666mhz or dare I hope to 3000mhz...perhaps even to what they are rated for @3200mhz!

I'll spend some time on the weekend doing some tweaking! Thanks.
MrMajestyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMajestyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:02pm
No comment on the above..

I have installed it, didn't go through all settings but under advanced settings you will now find Dram Timings overclock and ohm adjustment. Unfortunately in my case it didn't help to run the ram with specs. Since 2.0 I'm able to run 3200 18-14-14-34.
I have the Taichi and like it and am positive things will improve.

Actually I'm not sure if I'm using this new ram settings correctly. I just set the values in OC tweaking manually. The timings will be added automatically in the ram overclocking settings, so the only I fiddle around is the ohm setting, highest I tested was 53.3

Edited by MrMajestyk - 05 May 2017 at 8:07pm
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:02pm
Your response is accomplishing...? What? I may have missed it. If you are discussing quantity vs quality then maybe you should start a separate thread parsec, as that would be a different discussion that was not even mentioned in my earlier post.

You also erroneously stated I failed to mention...? How does your mind conclude that? I didn't mention specifics as I deemed it inappropriate or entirely unnecessary to what point I was making. A point about Brand name, UEFI/Bios usability/performance and DDR4 compatibility. And as the very fact that there is a TurboVCore on the competitors product line speaks volumes. You mentioned that utility in your post, not I.

Nor did I quote from a competitors site/article. I gave my view on it, that is all. You chose to quote from a competitors site/article, again you did that for your reason that accomplished... what?

parsec you have an agenda. I have a historic view that has been alive and well long before you or I were born. That view is: Brand name matters. And a company who has been around for quite some time cannot take it for granted nor marginalize it. I regularly visit the forums of Gigabyte and Asus... just to pick up on the atmosphere of their corresponding AM4/Ryzen communities and the interaction with Moderators. It's...educating.

Edited by Kevin A - 05 May 2017 at 5:06pm
Lisanderus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisanderus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:08pm
Really, 2->2.2 and only text string changed? Clap
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:56pm
I have no issues with 2.0 except the detection issues with Silicon Motion SSD's. I will wait a bit before updating to 2.2, make sure other people don't run into some big issue.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:08pm

Ah, the 'team up'!!! Good. Ok, nonetheless I never indicated 'slowness' regarding Bios updates. I just finished reading an OC Guide at Tom's Hardware featuring the Asus X370 Top Tier board. That guide touted all of the things they can do with the UEFI/Bios that Asus offers... -yep, that the 'competition' offers.

In the guide I read, I came across point after point that is not available to me, it was very 'glaring' and a 'stark contrast' IMO.

I do believe ASRocks Bios team is top notch on the Intel side. There simply may not be that dedication on the AMD side(...UEFI/Bios only, as the hardware/component design is better than the competitors). Results matter. As do experiences of the customers. Understand, I still believe I made the 'best' X370 purchase when comparing to the other 2 Top competitors being Asus and Gigabyte(MSI didn't even show up...).

If, some 'parity' in UEFI/Bios (whether real or euphoric) is not experienced as the weeks turn into months I'm certain most will be disappointed at the very least.

btw here is the link to Tom's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-amd-ryzen,5011.html

There is another glaring and stark contrast between the AM4 product lines of Asus and ASRock, as wardog pointed out shortly after Ryzen processors were released. That contrast is still true today.

Asus has five AM4 board models. ASRock has fourteen AM4 board models.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AM4

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AMD-platform-Products

With almost three times the number of AM4 model boards to support, ASRock has a bit more to deal with. Shocked

The X370 Taichi board is $190 after rebate on 4/4/2017 at Newegg. The X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero at Newegg on 4/4/2017 is on sale for $255. You may be getting more UEFI/BIOS options now, but you're paying for it. No surprise really.

You did fail to mention a few things about this wonderful UEFI/BIOS version that Asus has for their board. All the bugs that were found in it and reported in the review. I only made it to page three of the review in your post's link, when this (the second) bug was reported. To quote:

"Nothing died, but we discovered a 1.1V software setting was really 1.7V on the board"

That's the VCore being set to 1.7V instead of 1.1V. A followup quote from the review about this:

The bug was reported to Asus, and a representative told us it'd be corrected in the next version of TurboV Core. Just before publishing, we tried the latest version of TurboV Core and discovered that, instead of dialing in an incorrect voltage, the application now crashes instead.

Personally, I will be euphoric if ASRock does not duplicate this fine work by Asus. Dead

I can only ask, what is wrong with ASRock's "... dedication on the AMD side (UEFI/BIOS only..."?

I could go on, but I must agree, that review speaks for itself. Pinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic