ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 fatal1ty Gaming Pro CPU Temp Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 fatal1ty Gaming Pro CPU Temp Sensor
    Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:53pm

I posted previously about this issue and have managed to work around to an acceptable degree but it's less than ideal so I was hoping for some acknowledgement from Asrock that they're aware of the issue and planning a fix.

For reference, my specs are R7 1700 @ 3.9 ~1.35V p-phase OC w/ Noctua NH-D15

Above is a picture of my HWinfo (rearranged for easier viewing- the 'CPU' temperature is normally in one of the motherboard categories).  The problem is that the temperature labeled just 'CPU' lags way behind 'CPU (Tctl/Tdie)', and I have a 1700 so I know it has nothing to do with the offset on the X series chips.

I'm uploading a short video of what happens to the temperatures and will post it when it's done but the tl;dw is this- the 'CPU' reading is what the motherboard uses to control fans (according the fan curve) when set to use CPU temperature in BIOS.  Unfortunately, the 'CPU' temperature sensor (whatever it is, I said previous it was a socket temperature sensor but that was pure speculation) lags way, WAY behind the Tctl/Tdie- so much so that I need to set my fan curve so that both CPU fans are going at 75+% at 50C and 90% at 60C because at that point, my Tctl/Tdie readings are already at ~75C.  This is an even bigger issue since I need to set all my chassis fans on a similarly aggressive curve which makes my 'silent' build not very silent.

tl;dr Let us use Tctl/Tdie to control fans in fan curve, not this mystery 'CPU' temp sensor which is slow to respond and always a few degrees low even when it catches up

Edited by yoonie - 20 May 2017 at 9:55pm
Nemesis.ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:10am
"CPU" is the in socket temp and the die one is the internal one in the CPU package.

So a difference/delay is expected.
berner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:08am
yeah but why the is the socket temp used to control the fans? It just makes no sense.
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Nemesis.ie Nemesis.ie wrote:

"CPU" is the in socket temp and the die one is the internal one in the CPU package.

So a difference/delay is expected.

And that's one of the reasons it's a poor choice to use as the temperature that fan curves respond to and the reason that every other X370 I know of uses the standard Tctl/Tdie instead.

What's 'expected' is that a company that's been in the business as long as Asrock would fix things like this before release, and failing that, at least acknowledge it nearly 3 months later as something they're looking into.
Nemesis.ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:21am
Agreed, the package one would be much better from a cooling perspective.

However, the socket one responds slower so is easier to have fans using as they won't be spinning up/down annoyingly with temperature if used directly.

What ought to be done is use the package temp but put a put a suitable hysteresis in the fan control software - more work but a better result.
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:54pm
I'm just surprised that this isn't more widely reported- I've only seen 1 other person mention it in 2+ months.  It's a major issue if you want any sort of control over noise/heat/airflow at all- all the time and effort on my silent build is mostly wasted because the fan curves need to be so aggressive.

The motherboard sensor is even *more* useless for fan control, as in my months using this boards I've seen a total range of 39C to 41C.

Edited by yoonie - 22 May 2017 at 7:55pm
SiX-P4cK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiX-P4cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:21pm
On my AB350 Pro4 the CPU temperature from the MB i have more than 2° on delta (from 27° in idle to 55° in charge with prime95)

But yes the fan controller use the MB sensor.
I configured in custom mode and it's working fine:

40° --> 50%
45° --> 70%
50° --> 85%
55° --> 100%

Edited by SiX-P4cK - 22 May 2017 at 9:22pm
AMD R7-1700 @3.85Ghz 1.33V + Noctua NH-D15S
ASRock AB350 Pro4
G.Skill Ripjaws V Kit 2x8GB @3066 16-18-18-39
AMD Radeon RX 480 MSI GAMING X 4Go
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 2280
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:37pm
I ended up setting 60C to ~90% fan and 65C to 100% in order to keep Tctl/Tdie below 75 even with spikes in usage.  The CPU sensor only hits ~55C in Aida stress testing

Edited by yoonie - 24 May 2017 at 1:39pm
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:52am
I made a short video showing HWInfo and AIDA64 stress test to demonstrate the issue.  From previous testing I know that the temps level off from there, and it's the early spike in Tdie that worries me (caused by the 'CPU' sensor being so slow).  I'm still adjusting my fan curves a bit more and probably aren't aggressive enough for something like a Prime95 stress test, but those temps are so far outside normal usage that I'm willing to risk it to keep my build quiet.

For reference, I have a Noctua NH-D15 in a Fractal R5, CPU1 and CPU Optional are the 2 fans on the D15, Chassis1 is the front intake fan, Chassis2 is the rear exhaust, and Chassis3 is a side exhaust fan to help keep my graphics card cool (one of my work arounds for the slow sensor- my GPU would heat up because it was going at 100% and my CPU was going at 25%, causing my intake/exhaust fans to spin too slowly for optimal airflow to the GPU.  The side exhaust helps makes sure the GPU is always getting air and keeps rpms lower on my super loud RX 480 Sapphire Nitro + fans).

I hope it's okay that's it a twitch link, it's the easiest way for me to post video.  Mods, please let me know if it's a problem and I'll try to find another way to upload it.

Asrock, please let us know if this is planning to be addressed!  I really like this mobo but it really sours my experience that it's messing up all the hard work I put into making my build as silent as possible.  Or at least, tell us what the 'CPU' sensor is?  Is my board faulty or something?

Edited by yoonie - 25 May 2017 at 1:59am
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:36am
Use only hwinfo64 for real Temps other programs showing sh*t.
The X version of ryzen don't using offset anymore.
Idle temp 40 degrees full load 56 degrees
1700x 3,8ghz 1,184vcore cooled by arctic liquid freezer 240 on a x370 taichi, u have a 1700 running out of specs with really high vcore
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic