ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New AGESA 1.0.0.6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heyitsaaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:17pm
[URL=][/URL]
The only issue I have is waiting on Cryorig to send me the bracket for my AIO. ?Again, AMD's lack of supporting partner's prior to launch.
I agree. The issues is not really amd's fault. A lot of the issues wit. Aio's were Asetek staging their feet. They knew the standard , just didn't get production of parts to scale fast enough.

Edited by Heyitsaaron - 25 May 2017 at 11:20pm
Dogmifier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogmifier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:42pm
I've had zero issues with my Ryzen as well...worked just fine out of the box.

X99X Fata1ity
16GB Crucial
1200W Corsair
evga GTX 1080
Samsung 950 Pro
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Nejaa Nejaa wrote:

I have to disagree with you on waiting 6 months. ?At most, it would have been the first AGESA update.

Not having a specific RAM speed available is not a bug. ?It's platform immaturity. ?If I recall correctly, and do correct me if I'm wrong, it took Intel 6-12 months to fully develop their DDR4 support.

Users are accustomed to faster RAM because of Intel and AMD is admittedly playing catch-up.

Well spoken, as so many inaccurately state that some Ryzen customers are suffering from 'early-adopter-itus' syndrome.

Which I believe is dismissive, as I actually love my Ryzen 1800X. I was also one of those who benefited by a $40 price drop near mid April and an additional $100 reduction when purchasing a motherboard at Micro Center so my 'beginning' experience was phenomenal. To point out also the DDR4 support(and continuous microcode releases) on the Intel side has been focused on by Memory Manufacturers, Motherboard Manufactures and Intel for a nearing (mature) '8-9th' generation' platform.

As for myself, I hope the next AGESA update and the Motherboard Manufacturer implementation of it, deals with enough issues to bring about greater customer satisfaction. After that?, it may be a long time for Software/Game Devs, AMD and it's Mobo partners to release something significant. So specifically as my focus is more DDR4/BCLK/UEFI usability related, my hopes are that they are addressed in this update.

Edited by Kevin A - 26 May 2017 at 12:18am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Nejaa Nejaa wrote:

Originally posted by Spawne32 Spawne32 wrote:

It's a side effect of the buggy shoddy release thanks to AMD unfortunately. As much as we all may love the product, the fact of the matter is that we probably all should have held off on buying at least 6 months while the kinks got worked out.

I have to disagree with you on waiting 6 months.  At most, it would have been the first AGESA update.

I have had zero issues with my Ryzen rig.  Every component has performed flawlessly out of the box. Win10 installed to my NVME without issue.  RAID1 storage setup.  It's been brilliant. 

AMD definitely did a poor job coordinating the ecosystem with partners and preparing its MB manufacturers, but there have been no bugs that have prevented me from doing what I need to do.  No BSOD or critical system errors.  Just flawless performance.  Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones.

Not having a specific RAM speed available is not a bug.  It's platform immaturity.  If I recall correctly, and do correct me if I'm wrong, it took Intel 6-12 months to fully develop their DDR4 support.

Users are accustomed to faster RAM because of Intel and AMD is admittedly playing catch-up.

The only issue I have is waiting on Cryorig to send me the bracket for my AIO.  Again, AMD's lack of supporting partner's prior to launch.

You are correct that it took Intel time to develop their DDR4 support, but if we check the history of Intel and DDR4, it took longer than a year. There were some unavoidable limitations with the memory controller designs apparently, plus DDR4 is still relatively new.

DDR4 was first used in Intel's X99 platform with Haswell and then Broadwell HEDT processors. Achieving DDR4 speeds of 3000 was a challenge and beyond 3000 is still not easy. Not many complaints about that, since the best DDR4 speeds were above DDR3, and it was accepted that DDR4 was immature at that time. X99 was launched in Q3, 2014.

Next was the Intel Skylake 100 series chipset and processor generation, where initially speeds over DDR4 3200 were unusual. The latest UEFI/BIOS updates and new DDR4 memory models in high end boards can reach DDR4 4000+, but you must pay for the best to get there. DDR4 at that speed did not exist when Skylake was released. Also, at first the XMP profiles did not work well on Skylake systems, and we had to manually set the memory timings. That was fixed to some degree, but early DDR4 3000+ memory models had to be set up manually. Skylake was launched in Q3, 2015.

Once Intel Kaby Lake came into production, DDR4 speeds of 3200+ became much more common and easy to reach. DDR4 3400 and 3600 was not unusual for mid range boards. If that was due to better memory controller design, better DDR4 memory design, improved CPU microcode, or all of that was not questioned. I must say that we were not waiting for Intel to release new microcode to improve memory performance during any Intel processor generation, but there was nothing to compare it with except the earlier generations, whose lower memory speed performance was simply accepted. Kaby Lake was launched in Q1, 2017.

That is a good two year span of DDR4 usage by Intel and the memory manufactures to get where they are today, plus what was learned by mother board manufactures. AMD jumped into DDR4 midstream with Ryzen in 2017, and is compared with Intel's and the memory manufacture's progress over two years+. It can be said AMD did better overall than Intel did with DDR4 speeds compared to Intel's first effort (X99) but AMD is competing in a different DDR4 world. I don't recall the same memory training issues we may experience with Ryzen in Intel's X99 system, but DDR4 3200 memory did not exist when X99 was released.

AMD is being held to a different standard than Intel was with their first efforts with DDR4, so AMD has a much steeper mountain to climb. Exclamation
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:44am
Same as you guys, I've had little to no issues with my Ryzen R7 1700X, and Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming.

The only actual issue I had, was inability to get the initial Trident Z 3200mhz C16 ram kit that I'd bought, running above 2400Mhz.  But my FlareX 3200 kit went to 3200mhz without issue, even on BIOS 2.0. 

I too think the 1.0.0.6 update will be the last major agesa update for a while, since RAM compatibility on other manufacturers boards appear to be improved greatly with that code in current beta bios releases. 

The Trident Z kit I still have.  Will most likely go into my mothers computer when I upgrade it to Ryzen based.  Hopefully by the time I get to build it, the memory should be able to clock at full speed.
Atan87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:14am
No huge issues here either, other than that nobody told me i have to use first sata ports for my dvd drive in order to make it boot from it. My usb thumb drive refused to work with Taichi, as it worked before and still works in my gf's pc. Was kinda difficult installing fresh win10 as i had my dvd elsewhere than first sata port.

My 1700 clocks only to 3.8ghz with 200W power usage (really, 200w?) and 32gb set of ddr4 clocks in 2933 18/14/14/36. 
Hoping this agesa update will bring my ram to rated speeds :) no high hopes for better oc, since its mainly cpu binning thing.

Nocturnal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:51am
Plus one positive review. I can only repeat I've had little to no issues with my Ryzen R7 1700, and Taichi. Only 2 moments i wanna to mention:
1) i was waiting AM4 bracket adapter from my AIO vendor, but IMHO its not AMD fault
2) on april BIOS my dual rank Samsung E-die memory (Gskill F4-3000C15D-16GTZ) work only at 2666, but I hope It'll be improved with upcoming AGESA.

Edited by Nocturnal - 26 May 2017 at 1:52am
Atan87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:55am
Did you try cas 18 to get it run higher freq? Mine wont post after 2666 unless cas is 18, other timings arent as important for boot.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:57am
AMD has posted an explanation of the new parameters introduced in 1.0.0.6.  Enjoy, John.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

AMD has posted an explanation of the new parameters introduced in 1.0.0.6.? Enjoy, John.

Well look at that, not only promising news but 'right in line' with the beta tester posts I've been reading for days now!!! It's a great technical and detailed read as well, nice info to keep.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic