ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by RedHatTurtle RedHatTurtle wrote:

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

the good news is
asrock is around a week away from releasing the new bios including the major ram issue fix
look out for a bios with agesa 1006 in the title

(your present ram will most likely at least boot with the current version though)

How do you know about this stuff? Share with us! hahah

well its the 23rd of may
and amd has said the agesa bios should be with ryzen owners by the end of may thats 7 days away

so one week Big smile

its ok im not secret service or anything ,i just learn most answers are a google search awayLOL
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
RedHatTurtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:56am

the good news is
asrock is around a week away from releasing the new bios including the major ram issue fix

(your present ram will most likely at least boot with the current version though)

How do you know about this stuff? Share with us! hahah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:53am
Yeah, I knew i was risling with ECC ram, but it a home server/workstation and I really didn't want to spend the same money on a sh*tty Haswell/Broadwell Xeon E3

Well it's at the store, for a checkup, wish me luck. I'll post updates :D
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by RedHatTurtle RedHatTurtle wrote:

Feels bad man, hope it gets fixed soon, can't remember last time I've had to worry with ram compatibility

..I just went and really looked at the specs for your RAM...

I think I see the culprit.

Kingston Value 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Server Memory Model KVR24R17D4/16

It's ECC Registered Memory.  This technically shouldn't be a problem, as Ryzen supports ECC memory, it's just not validated for it.  And so does the Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming board. 

As far as the general RAM compatibility goes.  One of the main issues with the Ryzen R7 and R5 cpus when it comes to ram, is the memory controller currently forces memory to run at a command rate of 1T (command processed every 1 clock).  Most older DDR4 memory, that's designed for Intel based systems, is designed to run at command rate 2T (command processed every 2 clocks) at their rated jedec/xmp speeds.  Being that's somewhat older DDR4, Cas17, and ECC, it may not be able to run at any jedec spec speed at command rate 1t.  That may change after the agesa microcode 1.0.0.6 bios's start coming out. 

I'd try is borrowing some non-ecc regular DDR4 ram from someone if you can, and try and boot the system up with that memory in it.  It may be that the early bios doesn't work well with ecc memory, or it may be the memory won't run at 1t command rate.

The Dr. Debug code definitely points at a Memory related issue though. 

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:32am
the good news is

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:49am
Feels bad man, hope it gets fixed soon, can't remember last time I've had to worry with ram compatibility
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:44am
ryzen is soooooooooo incompatable with ram at the moment its crazy mate
more so with the early bios versions hence why i suggest borrow another ram stick to flash bios

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:41am

to be honest the board should boot to bios even with the ryzen 5 (it just dosnt perform its best on early bios)

i am more inclined to think its a ram issue

can you beg/borrow or steal a stick of ddr4 to test (and maybe flash to later bios) with ?

Yeah, probably doing it latter today, but it would have to be an incompatibility rather than a faulty component since it wont work with either one of the 2 dimms
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:33am
to be honest the board should boot to bios even with the ryzen 5 (it just dosnt perform its best on early bios)

i am more inclined to think its a ram issue

can you beg/borrow or steal a stick of ddr4 to test (and maybe flash to later bios) with ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Conraire Conraire wrote:

Here are the Dr. Debug code descriptions from the boards manual. I have the same motherboard as you.. think mine came with an even earlier bios though lol. 

0d = Problem related to MEMORY, VGA Card or other devices. Please Clear CMOS, re-install the memory and vga card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.

01-54 (except 0d), 5A-60 =  Problem related to MEMORY. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.

Going by that, it's most likely memory based.  As if the cpu wasn't seated properly, it wouldn't power up at all. 

The behavior you're describing is the AMD Ryzen CPU Memory training.  It will do that 5 or 6 times, and on the last time it "should" post... You just have the have the patience to let it cycle that many times before turning it off. If it doesn't post, usually after the 5th cycle, then try taking all but 1 memory stick out.  And then reboot it. 

The Memory you're using is dual rank, 16GB per Dimm, cas16(at least thats what the part number brings up)... so it's max supported speed would be 2400mhz(2666Mhz if you're lucky) with only two dimms. 

Well the bad new is that it isn't memory training, left it on during lunch and it was still doing the same loop when i got back. :/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic