ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Post, incompatible BIOS or something else?
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:35pm
So I just built this system with a 1600X, a X370 Profession Gaming and Kigston KVR24R17D4/16 RAM and I can't get it to post. BIOS version is 1.50 which is below the compatibility requirements on the FAQ (which is v1.60).

Is it possible my problem is the BIOS version or should I be able to post anyway? RAM is not in the QVL but I have a hard time believing RAM compatibility can be this bad.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:55pm
The problem is definitely your BIOS version. The 1600x is supported from 1.6 onward. Interestingly the 1600 is supported from 1.4 onward. You will need to do one of the following:

A. Get a compatible CPU to update your BIOS (borrow buy etc)
B. Ask the store (if it is a physical store not online) to update the BIOS for you
C. Return the CPU and exchange it for a 1600 which is supported
D. Return the board and ask that it be flashed to a supporting BIOS version for your 1600x (if online purchase)

I'm afraid those are the only real options.  

Edited by Xaltar - 22 May 2017 at 1:56pm
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by RedHatTurtle RedHatTurtle wrote:

So I just built this system with a 1600X, a X370 Profession Gaming and Kigston KVR24R17D4/16 RAM and I can't get it to post. BIOS version is 1.50 which is below the compatibility requirements on the FAQ (which is v1.60).

Is it possible my problem is the BIOS version or should I be able to post anyway? RAM is not in the QVL but I have a hard time believing RAM compatibility can be this bad.

First, what are the rest of your system specs?
What slot do you have your Ram DIMM installed in?
Do you have a board speaker installed on your mother board so you can hear the bios beep codes?
What is the system doing when it's not posting to the BIOS? 
Are the fans spinning up, then back down, and it's restarting repeatedly doing the same thing?

If possible post a picture of your motherboard with all hardware plugged in, makes it easier to see if something was missed. 

RedHatTurtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Thanks a lot Xaltar, I saw a lot o people saying it should open the bios anyway but having to RMA it would be a lot more trouble than going back to the store to flash a bios.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:22pm

Fans do speed up, i get a Dr. Debug Code 0E which isn't quite specific.
RAM is installed in slots A2 and B2 as recomended on the manual.
I do not have a MoBo speaker but i don't think it would be more specific than the Dr Debug info.
The system get stuck on a restart loop, all fans speed up, LEDs turn on and after ~10 secconds it turns off and tries to boot again.
The other components are from my previous ocmputer, some HDDs, a SATA SSD, a Gigabyte GeForce 1070, and an EVGA Supernova 750W B2 power supply but since they all work with my old system I don't think it could be any of them.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:44pm

Thanks a lot Xaltar, I saw a lot o people saying it should open the bios anyway but having to RMA it would be a lot more trouble than going back to the store to flash a bios.

Happy to help Smile

The additional advantage of taking it back to the store to be flashed is that you can get your other components tested while you are at it. Just keep your RAM installed in the board when you take it in to them, if they tell you it didn't work with that RAM you get them to do all the troubleshooting for you and save some time/effort. They will also have all the tools they need to test everything Wink

Edited by Xaltar - 22 May 2017 at 2:45pm
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:32pm

Fans do speed up, i get a Dr. Debug Code 0E which isn't quite specific.
RAM is installed in slots A2 and B2 as recomended on the manual.
I do not have a MoBo speaker but i don't think it would be more specific than the Dr Debug info.
The system get stuck on a restart loop, all fans speed up, LEDs turn on and after ~10 secconds it turns off and tries to boot again.
The other components are from my previous ocmputer, some HDDs, a SATA SSD, a Gigabyte GeForce 1070, and an EVGA Supernova 750W B2 power supply but since they all work with my old system I don't think it could be any of them.

Here are the Dr. Debug code descriptions from the boards manual. I have the same motherboard as you.. think mine came with an even earlier bios though lol. 

0d = Problem related to MEMORY, VGA Card or other devices. Please Clear CMOS, re-install the memory and vga card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.

01-54 (except 0d), 5A-60 =  Problem related to MEMORY. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.

Going by that, it's most likely memory based.  As if the cpu wasn't seated properly, it wouldn't power up at all. 

The behavior you're describing is the AMD Ryzen CPU Memory training.  It will do that 5 or 6 times, and on the last time it "should" post... You just have the have the patience to let it cycle that many times before turning it off. If it doesn't post, usually after the 5th cycle, then try taking all but 1 memory stick out.  And then reboot it. 

The Memory you're using is dual rank, 16GB per Dimm, cas16(at least thats what the part number brings up)... so it's max supported speed would be 2400mhz(2666Mhz if you're lucky) with only two dimms. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:57pm
Thanks for posting Conraire, it could be worth trying for the OP. I am not familiar with how Ryzen works regarding CPU support, I am still waiting on a CPU for my Ryzen system so have not had any on hand experience with the platform yet. In the past AMD platforms tend to be lenient with support often allowing a system to post but at a fixed low frequency but given Ryzen is an entirely new beast I was not going to simply assume an unsupported CPU would allow post.

RAM compatibility has been a major issue with Ryzen which is why I recommended the OP take the memory with them to the store for testing. If the store can make his components work together then his problems are solved. If not, they have the parts on hand to troubleshoot. It's always best to get the place of purchase to test components wherever possible. IMO it's worth the effort and will save headaches down the line. 

That said, if the system is simply training the RAM it would certainly be worth while powering it on and letting it cycle for 20mins or so to see if it will eventually post. I totally missed the looping aspect of that post.

Edited by Xaltar - 22 May 2017 at 11:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHatTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Conraire Conraire wrote:

Here are the Dr. Debug code descriptions from the boards manual. I have the same motherboard as you.. think mine came with an even earlier bios though lol. 

0d = Problem related to MEMORY, VGA Card or other devices. Please Clear CMOS, re-install the memory and vga card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.

01-54 (except 0d), 5A-60 =  Problem related to MEMORY. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.

Going by that, it's most likely memory based.  As if the cpu wasn't seated properly, it wouldn't power up at all. 

The behavior you're describing is the AMD Ryzen CPU Memory training.  It will do that 5 or 6 times, and on the last time it "should" post... You just have the have the patience to let it cycle that many times before turning it off. If it doesn't post, usually after the 5th cycle, then try taking all but 1 memory stick out.  And then reboot it. 

The Memory you're using is dual rank, 16GB per Dimm, cas16(at least thats what the part number brings up)... so it's max supported speed would be 2400mhz(2666Mhz if you're lucky) with only two dimms. 

Well the bad new is that it isn't memory training, left it on during lunch and it was still doing the same loop when i got back. :/
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:33am
to be honest the board should boot to bios even with the ryzen 5 (it just dosnt perform its best on early bios)

i am more inclined to think its a ram issue

can you beg/borrow or steal a stick of ddr4 to test (and maybe flash to later bios) with ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic