ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 taichi: problematic USB 3.0 ports.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biliogadafr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 taichi: problematic USB 3.0 ports.
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:21pm
I've built new system recently:

X370 Taichi BIOS P2.30, Ryzen 7 1700x, 32GB RAM 2x 16GB HyperX HX426C16FB/16 (works at 2400, but unstable at 2666, despite it should be supported according to QVL list), GeForce 970, SSD Samsung EVO 850  500GB.

So... my main problem right now is unstable usb 3.0 ports which affects badly several use cases. Oculus Rift has lags and tracking problems with them. During setup it shows me warnings "Poor Tracking Quality Error -8602". However it works with USB 3.1 port, but oculus requires 3 ports. So as workaround I connected sensors via usb Type-C via USB 3.0 HUB and helmet directly into USB 3.1 port. In this case it works without glitches. But I worry that USB HUB also introduce latency in tracking. So I need a way to fix this unstable usb 3.0 ports. All USB 3.0 (and 2.0 ports on the front panel) are unstable.

Also I have KVM switch which worked fine for me until my recent upgrade to Ryzen. It switches video(Monitor) and USB ports between laptop(PC for work) and desktop(PC for gaming). And I use USB headset sennheiser pc36 connected to USB port of KVM switch. So with my new  system I hear clicks and cracks in my headset. However I don't have this problem on my previous system and on my laptop. Also if I connect USB of KVM to USB 3.1 (or to type-c via USB HUB) it also works fine. If I connect USB headset directly to USB 3.0 ports then it works without clicks (but it is inconvenient, because I want to use it on both computers). I also have external audio interface (Focusrite scarlett 2i2), which is designed to work with low latency. And sometimes it is not recognized by the system.

So it looks like USB 3.0 ports has some problems and I can't use them in scenarios that worked for me before. When latency is not a problem they work, but I have problems with VR headset and audio devices.

Maybe I could adjust some settings in BIOS to reduce this lags or latency problems. Maybe I could install some drivers?  Or is it hardware defect and I should try to return this motherboard?

I thought that maybe 2400 frequency for memory is also too high and cause some instability, but when I reduced frequency to 2133 motherboard were unable to detect my SSD (so I couldn't boot to windows) which is strange.

Edited by Biliogadafr - 24 May 2017 at 10:40pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:18pm
On my last build, I had issues with my Leap and USB (3.0) ports. I've also had problems with three different boards and USB 3.0 headers that connected to front-panel ports.

My last build featured the Extreme9 990FX mobo, and all the ports ended up going bad.

In the three instances where I had boot/stability issues that were tied to a USB3.0 header pin, the device manufacturer of the front-panel ports was NZXT. I am planning on upgrading that part to see if I still have problems with a different manufacturer.

Long story short, ASRock boards, in my experience, have had issues with higher-bandwidth USB connections. It could be related to the hardware connected over USB, but I don't know how to test that. Leap Motion sent me a new device, and I have that set to the lowest possible settings to avoid bricking my new X370 FGP.

What I would recommend you do is install a PCIe expansion card to add more USB 3.0 ports. I didn't want to risk burning up any of the on-board ports, so that's how my Leap is currently connected. On the 990FX, even though the Leap was connected to a USB3.0 port, when those ports started going bad, the 2.0 ports that connected my keyboard and mouse also went bad, which was annoying enough to make me upgrade my entire system.
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:55am
Hmm I have taichi too and no issues with usb 3.0, what u can try increase the soc voltage
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Biliogadafr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biliogadafr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:07am
How far I can push the voltage? I've tried to increase it by + 0.025V with A_Tuning tool but I didn't noticed any changes.  Basically in normal scenarios ports just works, like for mouse, keyboard and some external HDDs. But when it comes to special cases like Oculus Rift or devices connected via tons of hubs I have problems. I searched over the internet and found that this is common problem for Oculus Rift and also happens with other mobos, even on intel platform, and it depends on drivers and particular USB controller chips. So probably this motherboard is not suitable for VR. And the most common solution to this problems is pci-e to USB 3.0 card, and even then not every card works as expected. I ordered one and waiting for it. I still hope that maybe with drivers or bios update usb 3.0 ports will be optimized for VR.

Edited by Biliogadafr - 25 May 2017 at 7:08am
Biliogadafr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biliogadafr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:57am
I bought pci-e expansion board ASUS USB 3.1 TYPE-A CARD. After driver update it works and oculus rift doesn't compain about it. So now I'm using one 3.1 port from motherboard for the helmet and 2x 3.1 ports from this pci-e board for sensors.
And my KVM with audio now works fine via usb type-c hub.
And I have 6 unused usb 3.0 ports on the motherboard with that...  :)

Edited by Biliogadafr - 26 May 2017 at 2:04am
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:24am
Please update us if the situation changes. I am very curious to see how your expansion card works long-term.

I had an old expansion card with two USB3 ports out the back, and a USB3 header internally that I used for my front-panel ports. I started experiencing boot/stability issues, so I disconnected the header to troubleshoot. No more problems, but now I can't use the front panel USB/SD ports.

I'm curious because I'm wondering if the Leap is what is causing my ports to fail or become unstable, or if it has something to do with ASRock boards. Like I said before, on multiple ASRock boards, I have run into trouble with USB3 headers.

I've been helping a member of the forum (thread here), and his problems have disappeared since he disconnected some of his USB devices. We're now trying to figure out whether the issue is with the devices he has, the ports on the board, or the header connections.

If there is an issue with ASRock boards and USB ports/headers, I think they need to be made aware of it.

Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:21am
Same issue.
But I have Asus USB2.0 audio card that clik-clic-clik sound noise.
USB3.1 - OK, all USB3.0 - fail.
But I always think that it happen because I use 10 meters cable with redriver (hub) and no report about it.

Also I try to use ST-Lab  USB 3.0 controller U-780.
And it work only in PCI-Ex16 with metal shield, in all other PCI-E ports it conflict with some onboard USB 3.0 controller and they both fail to initialize on OS boot.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:50am
10 meter? Dang!

That's almost 33 foot.

And a hub too?

hehehe Does it pick up AM/FM radio signals?? That clik clic you hear may be a bad spark plug wire on the neighbors car  TongueTongue

Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:34am
http://www.oldi.ru/upload/resaiz_images_catalog/big/110/198051/0208950_2.jpg
and TP-Link UH720

No, shield on 10m cable prevent radio receiving :)
But some times then old refrigerator starts compressor I lose usb connection for half second.

clik-clik-clik - looks like buffer overrun in sound card, or may be some usb packets lost/corrupt. clik does not happen at random interval, it happen mostly with constant intervals.

Also I use 10m HDMI cable, so my computer in next door room where more clean (no peoples with dust) and it can speed up fans without annoying me and my family. win-win.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:59am
I'm thinking this could potentially be a PSU power supply issue rather than a motherboard/driver problem.

USB 3.1 is controlled through the CPU with Ryzen, so I suspect its power delivery is also coming from the same 12V supply that supplies the CPU, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports would be getting power from the 5V supply on the power supply instead. If you've got a lower end or iffy power supply then this could potentially be the root of the problem, especially if you're loading up the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports with multiple devices, or doing long cable runs where you'll also experience extra voltage drop across the cable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic