ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:14pm
thanks for the answer but as i wrote the bios fan control issue has been fixed.

the problem with f stream is that if i set the lowest fan speed to 40% at 30c and the next step 60% speed at 35c and so forth, it will never change from that 40% speed even if the cpu is running at 65c+

and i am using hwinfo64 overlay in all games, hwinfo is showing Tdie temp

i do know that the temp readings are different all over the mobo. as im writing this hwinfo say 39c but the dr debug reading thats set to show temp is only showing 30c

But anyway thanks for fixing my bios issue Asrock. now i have no need for f stream :P
1+1=4 in my world and dont try to say otherwise
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Ottesen87 Ottesen87 wrote:

anyone else having problems with fan speed in the newest 3.00 bios ?

i have an aio. but no matter how i configure the cpu fans "in the bios" it just runs them at full speed. 2200 rpm in the bios and drops to 1800 ish when windows is loaded. 

but a simple task like opening a folder makes the fans ramp to full speed again

the temps are around 50-55 in the bios and 30-35 in windows when the fans are at full speed.

the only way i can solve it is by changing the fans in the f stream tuning utillity. and that means that my fans run at full speed untill windows is loaded. is that a bug ?

and btw when im running the adjusted fans speeds "750 rpm" its rougly the same temps

Edit. just updated to 3.20 and im happy to say my issue has been solved. 

But i would still say that the f-stream tuning program sure needs some atention ;) fans won't ramp up at all and the temp sensors are all over the place. in f stream

i am using a 1700x btw

The default "CPU temperature" being monitored for fan speed control set in the UEFI/BIOS was again changed in 3.20, or 3.10 for the X370 Taichi and Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming.

The temperature being monitored by default in the two of three earlier UEFI version that you did not like was the AMD AM4 Tctrl CPU temperature. The other AMD AM4 CPU temperature is Tdie. Tctrl = Tdie + 20°C. These are terms defined by AMD for AM4 processors. I have never discovered which of Tdie and Tctrl is the correct CPU temperature. All I am aware of is AMD said these two temperatures exist because of differences in AM4 processors, and the CPU cooler being used. AFAIK, the CPU cooler being referred to is the stock AM4 coolers, and there are multiple models of AM4 stock CPU coolers.

The Tctrl temperature changes very quickly, and with seemingly very little load, such as opening a folder. Try using a monitoring program like HWiNFO64, which shows Tctrl (and in some cases, Tdie, or both) to see how quickly these temperatures can change. If you have Cool n Quiet and C States enabled, as I do, with a CPU OC, I see my VCore change from ~0.400V at idle to ~1.350V under any load, if only for a moment. With that voltage change, the Tctrl core temperatures spike, normal for current processors. The fan speed control reacts to that, as it should.

Yes I find it somewhat annoying too, but don't blame the fan speed control when it is monitoring Tctrl, it is simply reacting as it should. Note that this applies to any of the other fan headers that have a choice of what temperature is being monitored. If the chassis fans are configured to monitor CPU temperature, and it is Tctrl, the chassis fans will also speed up and down with the CPU cooler fan(s).

ASRock also has a third AM4 CPU temperature similar to the earlier AMD processor "socket temperature". That is now the default CPU temperature used for fan speed control in UEFI version 3.20, and 3.10 for the X370 Taichi and Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming.

UEFI/BIOS versions before those that used Tctrl, used this third CPU temperature. This third temperature is also used by the ASRock utilities like F-Stream and A-Tuning. This CPU temperature does not change much, and changes slowly, in contrast to Tdie/Tctrl, which change quickly up and down. Which of course is why once you run F-Stream in Windows, your fans behave differently.

ASRock AM4 board users have complained about both of these CPU temperatures used for fan speed control. Some prefer Tctrl, other like yourself prefer the third CPU temperature. We now have a choice to use either one, with what I call the third CPU temperature being the default. So rather than an "issue", there is more to this situation than simply the fan speeds being faster and changing more often for no reason.

We have no idea how you configured the CPU fan speed control, but since every PC fan is different, and there are no standards about minimum and maximum RPM, or X RPM at Y voltage level, each fan model must have its fan speed control configured for its own characteristics, and your personal preference. The built in fan speed profiles are simply best guesses. If they happen to match the fans you use and your cooling and fan behavior preference, great, otherwise using the Custom fan speed curve option is necessary, but it must be tuned to your personal preferences.

nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:21pm
Hi,

I'm using HWinfo64 for monitoring and can see 3 temperature readings for the VRMs.

These readings are: VRM, VRT1 and VRT2

From my own observations, I think VRT1 is CPU voltage regulators, and VRT2 is SoC. It's right?

I don't know what VRM reading is. May be VRM controller chip temp? This VRM reading always is hotter than the other two, ~5 to 7 degree celsius.

Also, in order to configure my case fans, Soc VRMs are the top ones and CPU VRMs those near the back panel?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by nangu - 14 Sep 2017 at 11:23pm
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:11pm

i have an aio. but no matter how i configure the cpu fans "in the bios" it just runs them at full speed. 2200 rpm in the bios and drops to 1800 ish when windows is loaded. 

the temps are around 50-55 in the bios and 30-35 in windows when the fans are at full speed.

the only way i can solve it is by changing the fans in the f stream tuning utillity. and that means that my fans run at full speed untill windows is loaded. is that a bug ?

and btw when im running the adjusted fans speeds "750 rpm" its rougly the same temps

But i would still say that the f-stream tuning program sure needs some atention ;) fans won't ramp up at all and the temp sensors are all over the place. in f stream

i am using a 1700x btw

I haven't experienced this, I have a 1700.

Did you clear CMOS and try again?
Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:43pm
im pretty sure i cant control cpu fans with afterburner
EddoWagt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddoWagt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:50am
You're better off with MSI afterburner than f-stream
Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:46am

i am using a 1700x btw
m@c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:04pm
And running Linpack is also not quite the same as running OCCT itself.
Longtime Asrock user...
Ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by aleksei12 aleksei12 wrote:

for what purpose this message? I think every owner of motherboard k4 knows about it. almost any 350 ASRock takes 3200 and above is stable.
To express my dissatisfaction Wink

Originally posted by aleksei12 aleksei12 wrote:

Originally posted by mgilbert mgilbert wrote:

I'm having a hard time believing anyone who says that they have memory running stable at 3200 on the X370 Gaming K4. 
and I'm not saying that the memory is 100% stable. just compared to all the other versions of the BIOS to 2.40 I have a whole lot more stable. Yes,the errors under memtest are likely to be,but it does not prevent to use 3200 MHz on the memory
Even with just a single error will means ur system is not completely stable.

Edited by Ricky - 12 Sep 2017 at 8:14pm
aleksei12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleksei12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:23pm
for what purpose this message? I think every owner of motherboard k4 knows about it. almost any 350 ASRock takes 3200 and above is stable.
Ryzen 1700 3900Mhz,ASRock Fatal1ty X370Gaming K4, (2*8) DDR4 KFA2 HOF 3600 @3200 Mhz 14-14-14-32 ,Palit GTX1070 jetstream,Be Quiet PURE POWER L8 600W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic