ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 30>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

@Wardog

You're right about memory speed vs latency, but in Ryzen's case actually, mem speed matters a lot because by increasing memory speed you are increasing infinity fabric speed too, so speeding up the interconnect between the two cpu complexes.

Ideally, Ryzen needs high memory bandwith AND reduced latencies. For gaming, in example, infinity fabric interconnect speed is more important than memory latency, and in my own tests I can say it's true.

That is the main reason there is a lot of buzz around about people triyng to get memory speed @3200 regardless latency on the memory.

For heavy multithreaded applications, as Cinebench demostrates, the gain is almost negiglible and low latency is preferred at speed's cost, because the Windows scheduler is less prone to bounce threads between CPU complex, thus the interconnect speed does not matter as much as in lightly threaded applications, as games, when threads bounce a lot between the CCXs, so greater interconnect speed is more benefical than low latency at this use case.

Cheers,

re: triyng to get memory speed @3200 regardless latency on the memory.

That is my point. My entire point.

They are not looking at THEIR specific memory Kit paired with THEIR specific processor. There's a point where X(latency) crosses Y(speed) that is, if the time is taken to plot out, where Ryzen increases stand up and shout out "Why Hello there!"

Hopefully mep is busy now with discovering that as we type.

I have over 100 captures of AIDA64's Cache and Memory Benchmark results for each of the 6 kits of DDR4 I have here. Days and days of testing.

Each Kits X and Y are wildly varying, as you would expect(IC binning, ICs used, PCB design/layout, etc etc). Yet, on each Kits performance(X,Y)  the appx. best is where these two cross.

Edited by wardog - 13 Jul 2017 at 1:38am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 1:49am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hopefully mep is busy now with discovering that as we type.

Err, mep has unknowingly, unwittingly, and confusedly stumbled across the very "results" I preach of here. His post delved deeper than any other here to date, and why I chose to offer up that long winded reply in return. And I'm not known for long winded replies. i rather cut to the chase and if need entice the questioner to use their gray matter some too. Followers are not Learners I say.

Let's wait for meps observations. He already has two days head start, assuming he is testing.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 2:29am
My point.

http://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=advanced&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/cpugpu/fs/P/2229/1090/500000?minScore=0&cpuName=AMD%20Ryzen%205%201500X&gpuName=NVIDIA%20GeForce%20GTX%201070

These scores are all performed with comparatively the same hardware. I discount memory, oddly, as Ryzen/BIOSes are the limiting factor among all scoring there. ie: we all face the same hurdles concerning memory as it relates to the current POS guinea pig BIOSes.

I'm sure much to the chagrin and pain of the number six and below Users there, I've purposely left my number 2 through 5 place static for the moment.

Notice the spread of scoring points from number 6 to the above of mine.

Edited by wardog - 13 Jul 2017 at 2:34am
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:30am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

@Wardog

That is the main reason there is a lot of buzz around about people triyng to get memory speed @3200 regardless latency on the memory.

Cheers,

re: triyng to get memory speed @3200 regardless latency on the memory.

That is my point. My entire point.

I have over 100 captures of AIDA64's Cache and Memory Benchmark results for each of the 6 kits of DDR4 I have here. Days and days of testing.

Each Kits X and Y are wildly varying, as you would expect(IC binning, ICs used, PCB design/layout, etc etc). Yet, on each Kits performance(X,Y)  the appx. best is where these two cross.

My point is, in game titles where CPU cycles and/or IPC really counts, @3200 CAS 18 has better average and minimum FPS than @2666 CAS 14, just because the infinit fabric runs at half the memory rate. That's the reason why a lot of users try loosening timmings to bump memory speed up: To gain more frames and/or better minimum frames.

AIDA 64 is not the best tool to conclude gaming workloads in regard of Ryzen memory bus speed and latency. It shows what you said, and choosing the best performance between latency vs speed is the best way if you will use the system as a thread ripper :-)) , but not always these results scales in gaming workloads.

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point about 3DMark results. If I don't see wrong, there are different hardware tested there, only the CPU is the same across results, and with different overclocks too. Also, It doesn't show memory configuration tested on each run (take it with a grain of salt, my eyes are bad at this day's time) :-)

Also, 3dMark favours GPU horsepower, so using different GPU models and core frequencies bring different results. Heck, a lot of times I saw even different results with two distinct runs on the same hardware in 3DMark :-( 

Thanks for your time on this.

Cheers.

EDIT: If you have the time, please take a look at this test benching different dram speeds: http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259

AND this graph: http://imgur.com/tvtkbtb

Edited by nangu - 13 Jul 2017 at 4:01am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:34am
I can't believe we are still seeing this. Even in the most ideal scenario we only see about 15fps difference in gaming between 2133 and 3200. This is using a high end GPU (1080+) and settings specifically tailored to shift the bottleneck completely onto the CPU. Look at the results in the legitreviews article, in almost every situation you will see memory have no effect on performance if the GPU is the bottleneck (true of 90% of users setups). 

Guys, AMD pushed this infinity fabric deal hard because they did not expect the backlash 1080p gaming results caused. They needed something to blame. The simple truth is, the problem was never with the infinity fabric, it was optimization and driver related. Yes the infinity fabric can make a difference but it is vastly less important than most reviews and articles would have you believe. All the graphs and results are deliberately shown on scales that make the differences appear greater. 

In my testing across all the popular AAA titles used by reviewers that I could get my hands on I saw absolutely 0 difference between 2133 and 3200 and even 3466 on my system paired with a GTX 960, even at 720p on low. Results were a little lower than on my i5 7600k system regardless of settings used, even with all hardware identical save board and CPU. This just tells me that Ryzen needs more optimizations in the games currently available. It is also possible that as the UEFI matures we will see more performance from that too. Memory is undoubtedly a factor but it is not going to make your system beat an intel 7600k or 7700k, not until games are properly optimized to fully leverage Ryzen's architecture. 

Now I am not saying that you shouldn't bother trying to get higher frequencies to work, if you payed for a 3200+ kit then obviously you would want to see those speeds actually work. If you are only wanting these speeds to improve gaming performance then you are wasting your time. One of 2 things will be true:

1. If you have a GPU capable of forcing the bottleneck onto your CPU then the extra FPS will not even be noticeable because you are already well over 60fps, likely over 100.

2. Your GPU is the bottleneck in which case it doesn't matter how fast your RAM is if the GPU cannot keep up with the CPU anyway. 

Hence, completely moot in any realistic application other than bragging rights.

Latency, as Wardog stated will provide far more benefit to the system, especially in non gaming related workloads. Even in some games you will see latency trump frequency after a certain point. IMO you are better off running a step or 2 lower than your highest possible frequency and tightening the timings as much as you can. 2666 vs 3200 is not going to make much difference in even the most extreme cases but the tighter latencies will make the entire system feel snappier and more responsive. 
mep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:36pm
Wow... how on earth are you a moderator chum? You approach someone with empirical data, calling me stupid and claiming I am drinking when everyone on the internet EVEN AMD THEMSELVES ON YOUTUBE are showing how improved timing frequency benefits the Ryzen processor.

It isn't just reduced memory timings. As someone more intelligent and who actually has some constructive criticism stated, the Ryzen processor needs high clock rates to improve the speed of it's Infinity Fabric, and it makes a massive difference in multi threaded applications which is the Ryzens claim to fame.

I will never purchase another POS ASRock board again, and you are a pathetic representative for the company.

Lastly... for people trying to overclock on this POS board... higher memory voltage doesn't help. It is finding and getting lucky at some random voltage which does the most... for example. I found that 1.395V on my DDR4 was stable to 2966mHz. I forget what 3200 was since things went sour even on blender at that frequency. It was between 1.405 - 1.425 volts which netted a "stable" frequency, anything higher made things worse, but I also found that the system was just not "smooth" for lack of a better word, even though tasks would launch faster. Even at 2966, the system suffered some odd behavior over time such as closing windows using the X at the top right of the window wouldn't respond immediately. All that even with the benchmarks passing, I dropped it to 2800 and things cleared up. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:51pm
I think you misread something there Mep, no one called you stupid. I also can't tell who you are referring to. 

The only mention of the word stupid I found in this thread was Wardog saying how he pulled his sticky thread down because users were calling HIM stupid. 

You need to cool off a little there, no one here was insulting you.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I think you misread something there Mep, no one called you stupid. I also can't tell who you are referring to. 

The only mention of the word stupid I found in this thread was Wardog saying how he pulled his sticky thread down because users were calling HIM stupid. 

You need to cool off a little there, no one here was insulting you.

I agree, he is referring to wardog, and wardog wrote:

A challenge to you mep.

Grab AIDA64, and for all the dinking you did to push up the mems MHz, run AIDAs Memory and Cache Benchmark up and down the MHz scale your Kit goes. Saving the results so that you can compare.

But he knows he can say whatever he wants to, doing exactly what he accused someone else of doing. Of course offering no proof of his accusations.

Sad.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by mep mep wrote:

Wow... how on earth are you a moderator chum? You approach someone with empirical data, calling me stupid and claiming I am drinking when everyone on the internet EVEN AMD THEMSELVES ON YOUTUBE are showing how improved timing frequency benefits the Ryzen processor.

It isn't just reduced memory timings. As someone more intelligent and who actually has some constructive criticism stated, the Ryzen processor needs high clock rates to improve the speed of it's Infinity Fabric, and it makes a massive difference in multi threaded applications which is the Ryzens claim to fame.

I will never purchase another POS ASRock board again, and you are a pathetic representative for the company.

Lastly... for people trying to overclock on this POS board... higher memory voltage doesn't help. It is finding and getting lucky at some random voltage which does the most... for example. I found that 1.395V on my DDR4 was stable to 2966mHz. I forget what 3200 was since things went sour even on blender at that frequency. It was between 1.405 - 1.425 volts which netted a "stable" frequency, anything higher made things worse, but I also found that the system was just not "smooth" for lack of a better word, even though tasks would launch faster. Even at 2966, the system suffered some odd behavior over time such as closing windows using the X at the top right of the window wouldn't respond immediately. All that even with the benchmarks passing, I dropped it to 2800 and things cleared up. 

mep,

I would NEVER imply the things you have mistakenly read into my post(s). Never. Ever. Period.

What I commented on was that you discovered, and currently with AGESA code hampering higher mem clocks, that cache and memory performance can and is very, umm, flexible(?) with varying speeds and timings. That was it. Nothing more was intoned nor implied by myself in the post(s).

Sincerely,
wardog
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:23am
@Xaltar

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you on this based on my own observations and different tests I performed, and I will explain why.

First and foremost, PC gaming is not only about AAA console ported games, developed with 1080p @60Hz console's maximum target. And even that, these games also will run smoother with an 5 FPS minumum framerate increase. These games runs smoother with at first barely 5 FPS increase on minimum framerates. But these games yes, need more GPU than CPU as you stated if you want to get the most out them.

But, there are a myriad of games on PC which are a lot more CPU bound than AAA ported titles. Personally, I play racing and flying sims, where CPU calculations are more important on frametime delivery than any eye candy AAA game.

In simracing, a 10 or 15 FPS makes a LOT of difference because the reduced input lag. You can be much more precise on your inputs, which in turn allow you to get better lap times and commit less mistakes.

Also, consistent minimum FPS plays a big role. The user experience will be a lot better, even in 60 FPS locked games, if you go from spikes of 30 minimum to 40 minimun. Much less stutter, more smoother gameplay.

Take Codemaster's F1 2016 for example. Going from 2133 memory to 2800, the minimum framerate went from low 60 to steady 70 on my setup at 1440p, making the game experience a lot better, and reduced the input lag in the process. I'm using a GTX 1070 here, so not the high end.

I take F1 2016 as an example because it's one of the titles which shows more variation between AMD and Intel, and it has a benchmark included so it's easy to reproduce different configs and run several tests with each config.

If you take Assetto Corsa (a more robust sim than F1 2016, which is a simcade title) as an example, it needs even more CPU power in order to do the sim calculations, so if I can get 5 more max FPS and 10 more minimum FPS, the experience, smoothness and input lag translated are all well received.

All of this at 1440p, so mind you what the gains would be at 1080p where the GPU is not the bottleneck.

Also, first person shooters needs more FPS because the reduced input lag it represents, and in competitive e-sports titles this is only what matters, so a gain of 15/20 FPS at 1080p is important to these folks.

Last, you have VR. In VR you are constrained at 90 FPS to get a good experience and to avoid nausea induced by the tech. So, it's all about frametimes. You need <13ms frametimes to get that golden 90 FPS in VR. Less than that, and the headset tech makes its magic an lower the FPS to 45.

If you have a CPU-GPU combination which delivers borderline 13ms, you are much on the fence to a good experience in VR. If you, by any means (i.e. overclocking cpu AND memory bus) can reduce these frametimes to 12ms, your experience will be much better because you will be at 90 FPS more of the time.

I saw situations where my GPU stayed at 70% utilization because the CPU can't deliver the data fast enough to meet that <13ms frametime time, so making the experience a stutter fest mess, going from 90 to 45, to 90 FPS again, even if its constantly pulling 85 FPS, the headset introduced in between frames and reduced the delivery to 45 FPS. You get this, or 80-85 FPS with nausea, it's your choice. This, in a racing or flying sim, is unnaceptable because not only the stutter, but because the massive input lag it intruduce.

So, to finish my wall of text, as I stated in my earlier post, in CPU bound gaming titles, a merely 5/10 FPS increment make a huge difference for some titles. I can assure you is not the same to drive in Assetto Corsa at 60 FPS than 75 FPS, and it's a hot subject on AC forums too, so I'm not alone.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with what you posted, and this is why.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 30>
  Share Topic