ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:50am
When it comes to ram speed 3.00 it is a small improvement over 2.50

on 2.50 i could only boot at default mem speed. but now im back at the same speed as with the 2.40 bios. 2400mhz at 15-17-17-35

and yes i have tried turning soc and mem voltage up and 2t command rate and geardown disabled

My mem is CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 so corsair vengance led 3000mhz
1+1=4 in my world and dont try to say otherwise
Sebizzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebizzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Ottesen87 Ottesen87 wrote:

anyone else having problems with fan speed in the newest 3.00 bios ?

i have an aio. but no matter how i configure the cpu fans "in the bios" it just runs them at full speed. 2200 rpm in the bios and drops to 1800 ish when windows is loaded. 

but a simple task like opening a folder makes the fans ramp to full speed again

the temps are around 50-55 in the bios and 30-35 in windows when the fans are at full speed.

the only way i can solve it is by changing the fans in the f stream tuning utillity. and that means that my fans run at full speed untill windows is loaded. is that a bug ?

and btw when im running the adjusted fans speeds "750 rpm" its rougly the same temps

It's due to change to reading CPU temperature. Before 3.0 bios CPU tmperatrue is reading from socket sensor, now it's form CPU sensor itsef. And we already know that this sensor have big temperature fluctuations, thats why when you open anything temperature rise high for a second or few and your bios decide to turn fans up to prevent it. Well a lot of ppl want that change so they have what they want, but i guess is wrong implementatnion, ASRock need to make simple bios changes that will turn fans up but slowly soo you don't get up/down fast speed changes.
I recomend you to change FAN curve soo they go up after 55 celcius/60/65/70 soo they go high only if you really need it. And from 60 and 65 you should increase a lot more fan speed than from 55 to 60. Like under 55 is lowest possilbe fan speed, if you reach 55 you get 5% more, on 60 another 5%, on 65 30% more and on 70 get 100%. You can use higher CPU temperature if you still sute that is compfrtable but I recommended have CPU under 75 celcius.
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
MB: ASRock X370 Gaming K4
RAM: Crucial 2x8 GB 2400 MHz Dual Rank
GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 470 8GB
SSD: Crucial MX200
Case: PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro
PSU: Corsair VS550
jerflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:15pm
From what i have seen with this MoBo Agesa 1.0.0.6a is not worth it. i saw decreased performance and stability across the board wither it be memory or cpu clocks. I downgraded back to 2.5 and everything went back to normal. super stable on 3.9 on my 1700 overclock and 2933 on my lpx 3200 memory running at cas 14 instead of cas 16. 
Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 2:18am
ohh thanks for the info. 

i can now see after some gaming that the f stream utility doesnt work either. it will keep my fans at a low rpm at idle and browsing the web but at 65c-70c gaming it still sits at 750-800rpm even though i set it to ramp to 100% at 60c. 

speed fan wont work either firstly it seems to read the mobo cpu temp. compared to ryzen master and hwinfo64 and again no matter how i set the fan curve it just stay at the lowest point of the curve. 

so atm i have to options, having a loud system or an overheating system :P

ill have to do some tinkering in the bios if my ears can survive. 

btw. at 2200 rpm the case is shaking lol enermax liqmax II 240 fans are not the best balanced ones out there
Spiritreader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiritreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:21am
Insanely good results for me on this version.

I skipped 1.0.0.6 because I heard so many negative things about it.

This time I thought just go for it. For me at least the a stands for awesome!
  • No more POST fails and CMOS resets after failed memory OC. It was so annoying that I just kept my memory at stock speeds. It felt like AM4 advanced memory training wasn't working at all before.
  • I can actually play with my memory settings now without worry
  • I can actually run my memory at 1T
  • Memory runs fine at 2933 with 18 18 18 44 65 1T (2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport CL16 2400 Stock), before it wouldn't boot above 2400.
  • Performance increase in cinebench from ~1550 to 1652
  • Noticable better minimum FPS
  • CPU fan finally reacts to Tctl instead of slow socket sensor

I was actually pretty disappointed with ASRock when they announced the board as EoL, but this update showed me that they still put effort into making it better, which brought some trust back, especially after my "rocky" past with their boards. So Kudos!

I don't have issues with the jumpy Tctl sensor. I keep my fan duty very low unless there's something that really needs the power. 
My CPU fan fluctuates between 450 and 600 for a 35-58°C temperature range which is pretty much unnoticable for me to hear, and if there is load the fan now reacts as I would expect. 
I agree though that an option to choose between socket and Tctl would be very beneficial for everyone.

i can now see after some gaming that the f stream utility doesnt work either. it will keep my fans at a low rpm at idle and browsing the web but at 65c-70c gaming it still sits at 750-800rpm even though i set it to ramp to 100% at 60c. 

I have this F-Stream fan control issue too Ottesen87. I even made an inquiry with ASRock support and got test results back from Taiwan. Unfortunately they couldn't reproduce my issue. I originally assumed that it somehow collided with HWiNFO64 (which fixes the issue on my end if I don't run it at startup), but that also seemed to run fine on ASRock's testbench. So I don't know what's causing it.

I'm wondering why you have issues with fan control in the first place when setting speeds in UEFI. It's working flawlessly for me. What CPU do you run? Maybe they forgot to include the temperature offset for 1700x, 1800x etc.

Did you do the FAN tuning which cycles all your fans between 0 and 100%? What were the results there? Did you hear them spinning up and down at all?

Edited by Spiritreader - 22 Jul 2017 at 8:22am
Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:25am
its an 1700x so ofc the +20c could still be a thing hidden somewhere. yeah i did the fan test and it ramped my fans up and down. from 500 to 2200 my fans cant be shut off apparently. i set it to silent mode 

i did find out something with f stream though. it seems to have some kind of offset. 
when i set the fans to ramp up at 40c insteadt off 60c it actually ramps up my fans at 60c ish according to hwinfo64 and ryzen master . so for now ive fixed it sort off. 

It still runs my fans at 100% until f stream starts up ofc. :/

as i write this i can see a temp difference between the 3 programs. hwinfo and ryzen master say 46 and f stream only say 38. at higher temps this ofc becomes more difference

Edid: just did a cinebench test 1710 points oh yeah :P 
F stream said 52c and hwinfo and ryzen master said 72c so temp offset in f stream is confirmed on my system

Edited by Ottesen87 - 23 Jul 2017 at 2:30am
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:22am
Hi again,

Finally, I seated my ram sticks on A1/B1 to test. Now I can run my 3200CL16 kit at 2933 cas 16, 1.375v Dram and 0.92v SoC. 3200 is a no go still, and 3066 is not stable.

So in my system so far, Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C16-16GTZB (2x8Gb kit) Hynix single rank

A1/B1 = 2933 16-16-16-36 1T @1.37v
A2/B2 = 2800 14-14-14-34 1T @1.35v

Performance is roughly the same, only noticeable in benchmarks and AIDA64 memory bench, the 2933 higher cas is a bit faster (more bandwith, lower latency)

I have the fan problem someone had posted earlier. I set the fans in UEFI (not using f-tune). Fans work as expected but when running AIDA64 Stress Test, sometimes the CPU fan locks at half speed instead ramping up to top speed. May be a problem with some utilities? The only solution is to reboot the system.

justqw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justqw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:56am
This is all strange...
@Spiritreader, I have the same configuration (CPU+MOBO), posted here 
--> http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5621&title=oc-problem

and in Bios 3.0 version I can't even set manual CPU frequencies, without OCing RAM.
In 2.40 there is much better for me, any advices?

--
Regards
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:36am

its an 1700x so ofc the +20c could still be a thing hidden somewhere. yeah i did the fan test and it ramped my fans up and down. from 500 to 2200 my fans cant be shut off apparently. i set it to silent mode 

i did find out something with f stream though. it seems to have some kind of offset. 
when i set the fans to ramp up at 40c insteadt off 60c it actually ramps up my fans at 60c ish according to hwinfo64 and ryzen master . so for now ive fixed it sort off. 

It still runs my fans at 100% until f stream starts up ofc. :/

as i write this i can see a temp difference between the 3 programs. hwinfo and ryzen master say 46 and f stream only say 38. at higher temps this ofc becomes more difference

Edid: just did a cinebench test 1710 points oh yeah :P 
F stream said 52c and hwinfo and ryzen master said 72c so temp offset in f stream is confirmed on my system

The 20° C offset in the temperatures is the difference between the two temperatures reported by a Ryzen processor, Tdie and Tctl (ctl = control). This is an AMD thing.

When using HWiNFO64 with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac with a 1700X, it reports both Tdie and Tctl. The two have a consistent 20° C difference. HWiNFO64 only reports one of these with other boards for some reason, or labels a single CPU temperature "Tdie/Tctl".What your F-Stream or other ASRock utilities such as my board's A-Tuning reports is something else, which I don't understand.

At one time the difference between Tdie and Tctl was supposedly used for different Ryzen processors, and also somehow related to the use of the stock Ryzen CPU cooler. As far as I know, what Tdie and Tctl are used for, and which one is the correct processor temperature, has never been made clear.

My board's AGESA 1.0.0.6a UEFI update (3.00) also changed which temperature is used by the fan speed control feature in the UEFI. I use custom fan speed profiles with the FANTastic Tuning feature in the UEFI, and had to adjust them significantly with this change in the 3.00 UEFI. As said above, some ASRock Ryzen board users were complaining about which CPU temperature reading was being used by the fan speed control settings in the UEFI, and this change in the 3.00 UEFIs must have been based upon that.

Your F-Stream software most likely is programmed to use a different CPU temperature than is used in the UEFI, if it has not been updated along with the 3.00 UEFI. My board's utility has not yet been updated. In the past, the UEFI fan speed control and the ASRock Windows utility fan speed control have used the same CPU temperature to control the board's fan headers.

One problem with fan speed control is all PC fans are different in their minimum and maximum speeds, speed/RPM vs PWM % or applied voltage, and starting PWM % or voltage. Also fan speed vs applied PWM % or voltage is not always linear, and the speed where fan noise is bothersome is basically random. I actually changed two chassis fans in my Ryzen PC after I applied UEFI 3.00, since the fan noise was bothering me.

IMO, the Ryzen CPU temperature reading and fan speed control relationship needs a bit more work. But using the predefined fan speed profiles will be pure luck if they match your fan's RPM, speed range, and noise parameters, and your personal usage and ability to live with fan noise. I have yet to find an AIO liquid cooler whose stock fans are not loud at or near their maximum speed.
epinagar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote epinagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 5:00am
Hi, I'm new in the forum.
With bios 3.00 and the Stilt preset (http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/23870) I can do 3200 and 3333 cas 14 totally stable.

3200 SOC 1.025v RAM 1.35v.
3333 SOC 1.10v RAM 1.375v.

Memory is 2x8Gb KFA2 HOF 3600, samsung b-die.
CPU ryzen 1700

For now, 3466 is unstable, but I'm happy with the X-370 gaming K4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 30>
  Share Topic