ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Brand new x370 Taichi-based system will not POST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand new x370 Taichi-based system will not POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new x370 Taichi-based system will not POST
    Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:24am
Hello all, thank you for reading.

I will cut to the chase: I put together my new machine and it refuses to POST. Cry

Hardware:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 220-G3-0650-Y1 650W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
ASRock x370 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 1700X
EVGA CLC 280 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler, 400-HY-CL28-V1, 280mm Radiator
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model F4-3200C16D-16GVGB
ZOTAC 1070 AMP! Extreme
2 SSDs + 3 HDDs

Boot attempts result in power on, Dr. Debug shows code 4b, machines stays on for 20-30 seconds, then powers down. All connections tested and secure, CPU has been reseated trying to clear 4b error, no luck.

I have tried all manner of RAM permutations, with single stick in every slot (tried each stick in A1,A2,B1,B2 solo) and all manners of recommended dual-stick setups (A2+B2,A1+B1,etc.). I have also tried booting with NO RAM INSTALLED. All permutations result in code 4b displaying and the 30 second shutdown happening. The video card never sends any signal to my monitor either.

Dr. Debug FAQ only gives this generic message about 4b: "Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules." This leads me to believe that it's related to either my DIMMs or the motherboard itself, however I have no other DDR4 sticks to test with and no other AM4 motherboards to swap in.

The firmware currently installed is whatever the board shipped with. I am not going to be home for the next 8 hours so I can't retrieve it unfortunately, but I will be able to tonight if it is relevant. I can say that it is the stock version (not 100% sure which it shipped with,) but it's not the latest version, which may contribute to issues.

Thank you very much for reading and for any thoughts or help you can provide.
spamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:25am
After reading the many helpful topics about memory on here I believe the cause is incompatible memory.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by spamps spamps wrote:

After reading the many helpful topics about memory on here I believe the cause is incompatible memory.

Meh, do us a favor please.

Unplug the case to USB headers, and anything you have USB connected unplug and or remove it and reply back the results.

I'm not 100% sure this b4(?) you're seeing is related to memory. And I thought I've seen all the incompatible mem error codes, yet not your b4 code.
spamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:35am
Hi Wardog,

Thanks for your reply.

The code I am seeing is 4b, NOT b4. I can take a photo in ~5 hours or so. I am aware b4 is related to USB connections but that is not the code I'm seeing on Dr. Debug. When I get home tonight I will remove the USB header connections and try again.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:41am
The BIOS revision the board shipped with when new(not second hand, used, or open box) is printed on a sticker on top of the BIOS chip itself.

Look 45deg up and right of the CMOS battery. or below and just to the right of the end of PCIE2.

What is printed on it?

The 1700X is supported by all BIOS revisions yet I, and you I imagine, would like to know what it is.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
FYI

2sticks of memory belong in slots A2+B2, period. If you've moved them around sincelast clearing the CMOS as I desibe above I highly HIGHLY and strongly reccomend you do so before proceeding further !!!! I can't stress this enough.

Your G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVB is based on Samsung E-die IC's, dual rank, double-sided

http://www.overclock.net/t/1627555/ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:53am
spamps, can you access the BIOS?  If so, you can find the BIOS version and take at look at the temperatures, especially the CPU.  I am curious what the power down is about.  Your memory is not on the qualified list.  F4-3200C14D-16GFX is on the list however.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by spamps spamps wrote:

Hi Wardog,

Thanks for your reply.

The code I am seeing is 4b, NOT b4. I can take a photo in ~5 hours or so. I am aware b4 is related to USB connections but that is not the code I'm seeing on Dr. Debug. When I get home tonight I will remove the USB header connections and try again.

Promise. I am not the slightest dyslexic. Some mind numbing Rx drugs but not dyslexic. Ouch

4B is mem related Embarrassed

Put the mem in A2+B2, do the clear CMOS and reply back what you see when it fires up and hopefully boots.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 11:35am
If I recall correctly from another thread, the G.SKILL Ripjaws V won't work at all with Ryzen. Or at best it worked at its lowest speed only.

Please follow wardog's instructions above, be sure the DIMMs are fully seated in the A2 and B2 slots. If you continue to get the 4b POST code, you'll need to try a different model of memory.
spamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:42pm
This time around I took a video of it. this is how it goes every time.

If they're definitely not compatible then that would explain why the board reacts the same no matter how the ram is placed or if i try to boot with no ram.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic