ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 taichi reset on cold boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavetactic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 taichi reset on cold boot
    Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:00am
Seems like all my settings/overclocks seem to reset on cold boot regardless of what I change.

I am able to boot and stress test just fine, then restart and slowly increment clock speeds or maybe ram and stress test again. Then at the end of the day when I shut off my computer. No matter how mild the overclock, the x370 taichi will do a couple of boot loops and reset my settings. When this does happen getting into the bios seems to be extremely laggy/choppy and takes quite some time to post. (reset also happens when I overclock through ryzen master)

I have the latest bios update at p2.40 and my pc is running an R7 1700, 1080ti, x370 taichi, gskill flare x 3200. Would this be a defective motherboard or is this a software issue?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by wavetactic wavetactic wrote:

Seems like all my settings/overclocks seem to reset on cold boot regardless of what I change.

I am able to boot and stress test just fine, then restart and slowly increment clock speeds or maybe ram and stress test again. Then at the end of the day when I shut off my computer. No matter how mild the overclock, the x370 taichi will do a couple of boot loops and reset my settings. When this does happen getting into the bios seems to be extremely laggy/choppy and takes quite some time to post. (reset also happens when I overclock through ryzen master)

I have the latest bios update at p2.40 and my pc is running an R7 1700, 1080ti, x370 taichi, gskill flare x 3200. Would this be a defective motherboard or is this a software issue?

I have experienced the same behavior sometimes with my X370 Killer SLI/ac board, using a 1700X and G.SKILL FlareX 3200 memory. In my situation, I have not fine tuned the memory enough (apparently) to run at 3200, and get much better memory stability at 2933. My CPU OC to 3925MHz is not the problem.

While the FlareX memory stability at speeds above 2933 are partially at fault, the source of the boot loops and option resets is the AM4 Advance Boot Training option, enabled when set to Auto, the default. Disabling the AM4 Advance Boot Training option (OC Tweaker screen) has caused the boot loops to stop, as well as the UEFI option setting resets. At least it has for my board, memory, and UEFI version, which has the same AGESA update as yours. Any failure of the training (which should be related to the memory only) will cause both the CPU and memory OC settings to be reset, as you have seen. Why both CPU and memory OC settings are reset, I don't know, that simply seems to be how it works.

The difference in disabling this option is memory instability will cause a quick BSOD in Windows. If your memory is stable, you shouldn't get a BSOD.

Unless your 1700 CPU is very poor for over clocking, or your VCore is too low, IMO a slight memory instability is the only problem you have. As you said, even a small CPU OC seems to fail POST, but in my experience a failed CPU OC fails very early during POST, and never gets to the Boot Training phase. IMO that option is of questionable value, and I suggest disabling it for a few days to see how the PC behaves.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 2:07am
i have a taichi as well

and i get similar issues when i try to tighten the ram timings up

e.g.
my ram is gskill cl15 and at cl15 its fine
but if i try cl14 it will restart(warm boot) fine all day and run any stress test fine

yet a cold boot will boot-loop and reset all settings

so i suggest try loosening up the ram timings a little (try cl15 or cl16)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wavetactic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavetactic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 2:26am
I actually do have advance boot training off. Only time I got a BSOD was when I tried fir 4ghz for fun. It just all strikes me as strange. I have just been leaving it at stock as of now. But at that point I would've gladly payed extra for like 1700x or 1800x.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavetactic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 2:28am
Well I got the GSkill Flarex because its on the QVL. So I was hoping the xmp would work fine out of the box like I've seen on other forums. Maybe I'll try loosening the timings see if anything changes.
oile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 12:55pm
Sometimes it happens here too
R5 1600 3.9 1.32v-Taichi-16gb LPX-1060-TT850w
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
Its the UEFI recovery failsafe kicking in after X failed post attempts. Like the others said, your RAM is probably at the heart of it. 
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:10pm
The only times this happens to me is when my PC decides for some reason that it doesn't like my Ram OC and when having Boot Training enabled at the same time.
BoneCrusherXes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
same problem here. If i manually set 3200 timings and disable boot training it works fine until i try a cold boot, boot then fails and defaults are loaded. But its only the cold boot, if i load my custom profile after that i can reboot as often as i want without a problem.

I now run the XMP auto settings, this works reliable for me. Only problem with that is the bios needs 2 training cycles on each reboot but well, i can live with that for now.

I have not yet been able to figure out which setting causes the problem with the cold boot.
I tried to manually set all timings exactly the same as after a successfull cold boot, but it still fails.

Edited by BoneCrusherXes - 12 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
ASRock X370 Taichi, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3,9 , Noctua NH-D15
2x16GB G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZ @3200 14-13-13-26-42 1T GearDown Enabled
MSI Geforce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavetactic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 11:19am
Interesting. For the last week or so my MB has been taking extremely long to boot up. like 80+ seconds. So I am starting to think it has some sort of defect. I have only tried the auto xmp settings so I might try setting it manual see if anything changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic