ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - More than CL14 Timings== stuttering with GTX 1080
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

More than CL14 Timings== stuttering with GTX 1080

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More than CL14 Timings== stuttering with GTX 1080
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:32am
So, after a month of game stuttering with my system (about all in Black Desert Online, rest of the games barely had stuttering) finally discovered it: More than 14 timings gives stuttering. 
First bought a new PSU thinking it was that, nothing, then tried every software setting from nvidia panel, windows, etc formatted my windows, nothing, still stuttering. 
Then of testing several RAM speeds(I can go up to 3466MHz stable) I thought it was the ram speed; because I used 2933 at 14 timings and looked like the stuttering dissapeared(barely on bdo, maybe once every 1h, rest of the games 0 stuttering) so I thought my ram wasn't stable at more than 2933 yet.
But then by updating BIOS fast I left 2933 with loose timings cl16+ and god the stuttering in BDO was unbareable (idk why that game is more sensible to stuttering). So I was back in testing... again days trying everything on Internet but nothing solved the problem. 
But now with recent bios update trying RAM settings I luckily set them at 3466 MHz and 14 timings; and boom bye stuttering (still barely on black desert online). 
So then of trying every ram speed and timings, the RAM speed doesn't matter, but more than CL14 timings just gives stuttering and it worries me why.

TL;DR: More than 14 RAM latencys gives stuttering, more loosen timings more stuttering. Black Desert Online is where the stuttering is more annoying, like 0.2s each 7-10 mins randomly, in no other games I get that sttutering. So If anybody with a similar system like me can try the game with like CL16-17 timings and tell me if he have stuttering please.

My system: ASRock X370 Killer SLI, R7 1700, GTX 1080, RAMs galax hof 3600(samsung b-die)
Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:40am
Jesus omfg im tired of this problem I don't know what can be but I just tried 3466 with 16 latencys and I don't have stuttering now And I literally had stutter with those settings hours before ! 
Only thing Im sure now it must be RAM thing related because each time I change the ram settings the stuttering either is worse with 1 second stutter or it just dissapear its just pure random All I can think of this is some auto setting sometimes being good and other times bad 

Edited by Trender - 18 Jul 2017 at 7:52am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 4:57pm
Do you have mem training Enabled yet?
Asingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:38pm
Is that only problem with your board or what? On my x370 K4 I have fps drops/ stutter ion some older titles (Morrowind, Mafia 2, Operation flashpoint: red river) but I think that is because Windows 10 doesn`t like older games.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:58pm
Try disabling SMT. Not all applications (games included) will benefit from SMT, in the applications you are getting random stutters chances are it could be SMT related, you might have a memory kit that is iffy, or it might be a simple case of a bad graphics driver causing micro-stutter so in bullet fashion heres some things you can try;

1. Try disabling SMT in the UEFI
2. Try a older / newer graphics driver known to run nicely with the games you are playing.
3. Try the latest AMD chipset drivers CLICKY (Win10)
4. Get the latest audio drivers. Assuming you are using the onboard Realtek codec; CLICKY (Win10)
5. Check to make sure your GTX1080 isn't throttling.
6. Check to make sure you have the RAM installed in the correct DIMM banks (A1+B1 or A2+B2 for Dual Channel, Single Rank memory, or A2+B2 for Dual Channel Dual Rank memory)
7. Make sure all the games are patched to their latest version.
8. Download and run HCI memtest, opening enough instances to fully utilise your RAM. Leave it running for at least 2 hours and see if it reports any memory errors.

Following those steps, we should be able to quickly get to the bottom of your stuttering problems

Edited by ket - 18 Jul 2017 at 9:01pm
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:15pm
My GTX 1080's are founder Editions, because the nvidia driver will only let the fans go to 55% i get stuttering also./ its because the core clocks are fluctuating like crazy. you can check if this is your problem using GPU-z and correct the problem with MSI Afterburner to setup a custom Fan profile. hope it helps. some games are just a mess and cant be helped. SMT can cause some stuttering also mixing different refresh rate screens like 144 and 60 causes stuttering for me. Sli does also in some games

Edited by chainsaw - 18 Jul 2017 at 10:21pm
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:13pm
As info I didn't said before: The stutter doesn't matter with game load... if I have stuttering, it will happen even if ur looking at a wall or at a sky with 0 load and 1000 fps, it just doesn't matter more action or less it stutters.
---
Here we go again, so yesterday was much smoother than today without even going into bios, didn't changed anything. Now I did some changes and looks smooth again(who knows for how much more...), what I have now is I disabled almost everything on auto for removing randomness. What I set: 3466MHz, 16-16-36 timings, Power Down disabled, Gear Down disabled, 1T, BankGrowpSwap/Alt disabled, mem training disabled,ddr 1.40V, LLC auto(its like disabled I guess).

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Do you have mem training Enabled yet?
I had it enabled yesterday and now I have it disabled, I don't really know what its for and don't notice a difference, is enabled or disabled better for stuttering?

Originally posted by Asingo Asingo wrote:

Is that only problem with your board or what? On my x370 K4 I have fps drops/ stutter ion some older titles (Morrowind, Mafia 2, Operation flashpoint: red river) but I think that is because Windows 10 doesn`t like older games. 
I've read that about old games on reddit too, but I only tried newers

Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

Try disabling SMT. Not all applications (games included) will benefit from SMT, in the applications you are getting random stutters chances are it could be SMT related, you might have a memory kit that is iffy, or it might be a simple case of a bad graphics driver causing micro-stutter so in bullet fashion heres some things you can try;

1. Try disabling SMT in the UEFI
2. Try a older / newer graphics driver known to run nicely with the games you are playing.
3. Try the latest AMD chipset drivers CLICKY (Win10)
4. Get the latest audio drivers. Assuming you are using the onboard Realtek codec; CLICKY (Win10)
5. Check to make sure your GTX1080 isn't throttling.
6. Check to make sure you have the RAM installed in the correct DIMM banks (A1+B1 or A2+B2 for Dual Channel, Single Rank memory, or A2+B2 for Dual Channel Dual Rank memory)
7. Make sure all the games are patched to their latest version.
8. Download and run HCI memtest, opening enough instances to fully utilise your RAM. Leave it running for at least 2 hours and see if it reports any memory errors.

Following those steps, we should be able to quickly get to the bottom of your stuttering problems
1. Tried disabling SMT long time ago but didn't seems like removed stutter, Ill try disabling it when I get big stuttering again.
2. Yeah already tried but don't know if they helped as its pure random when I have stuttering, didn't tried a lot because newer games like ME:A gave me drivers warning of being too old, will try again. But already tried using DDU and reinstalling Windows(10).
3. Yeah I got them, tried both ryzen balanced plan and high performance mode but doesn't seems to make a  difference.
4. atm got installed the latest realtek from asrock website 
5. Doesn't seem like that, fans are never more than 70% and temperature max. i've saw its 73º.(My gpu is the msi gaming gtx 1080).
6. Yeah i have them running on dual channel on A2+B2, my mems are single rank.
7. Yeah they're updated.
8. Yup used them, when my mems aren't stable it gives me instant error first minute, like when I put less than 1.40V. Next time I got stuttering Ill leave it running for hours.

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

My GTX 1080's are founder Editions, because the nvidia driver will only let the fans go to 55% i get stuttering also./ its because the core clocks are fluctuating like crazy. you can check if this is your problem using GPU-z and correct the problem with MSI Afterburner to setup a custom Fan profile. hope it helps. some games are just a mess and cant be helped. SMT can cause some stuttering also mixing different refresh rate screens like 144 and 60 causes stuttering for me. Sli does also in some games
Mine is the MSI Gaming X so that shouldn't be a problem as fans (I guess) should go up when needed, still didn't saw them more than fans 70% and gpu temp 73º. My monitor is 60 hz and 72 hz when I enable freesync, but it doesn't makes a difference when gaming I still have the stuttering 60 hz or 72 hz freesync or not.(even if it doesn't works with a nvidia card, If I enable it I can up my monitor to 72hz)
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:04am
What operating system?

I noticed the stuttering begin after I'd upgraded to Creators Update, but not the initial upgrade, the security and cumulative update immediately after the upgrade.

It was pretty widespread, didn't matter the type of videocard either, AMD/Nvidia.

I noticed everything had a stutter to it.  People over at some Nvidia forums believed it was a driver issue, but eventually mine went away fairly recently between a BIOS update to 1.0.0.6 AGESA and constant Windows 10 updates.

Many confirmed their issues went away by downgrading to Win10 build 1607, prior to the Creators Update.

I seem to be smooth as butter like my system originally was when I put it together back in April/May.

At the time I was troubleshooting the issue, I was playing with the HPET - High Precision Event Timer, and there was much talk about it.  Results were all over the place, but it appeared to help with my older INTEL laptop, but not the Ryzen platform.

Other than that I'd say it's software, not a hardware issue, or your memory.

The stuttering happened with no changes to my 16-17-17-34-1T 2666MHz RAM.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:09am
Originally posted by Trender Trender wrote:

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

Mine is the MSI Gaming X so that shouldn't be a problem as fans (I guess) should go up when needed, still didn't saw them more than fans 70% and gpu temp 73º. My monitor is 60 hz and 72 hz when I enable freesync, but it doesn't makes a difference when gaming I still have the stuttering 60 hz or 72 hz freesync or not.(even if it doesn't works with a nvidia card, If I enable it I can up my monitor to 72hz)

I'd double check that.

The increased refresh rates for monitors with Freesync are to be used with Freesync, so when you overclock the monitor manually, you do so by choosing a custom refresh rate to match that frequency of 72Hz.  You don't just enable Freesync with an Nvidia graphics card and get the higher refresh rate, that could cause problems, and/or it just doesn't work, b/c an AMD card is not detected.

That could be the cause of your issues.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
So I reported in another X370 Gaming K4 thread that I played around with the new 1.0.0.6a BIOS and somehow managed to experience this stuttering.

What I mentioned before was only in games, but this time it was in the OS, just on the desktop moving windows around it would stutter/judder as if the CPU were 100% utilized.

I was playing around with the new BGS & GDM settings when it happened.  I simply reset all my memory settings and started over, which resolved the issue.

I manually set my command rate to 1T and turned off BGS & GDM, and I'm good.

Memory at 3066Mhz 16-17-17-34 1.35v, dual rank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic