ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Patcher Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haphapablap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patcher Fail
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:45am
Got the  X370 Killer SLI/ac, I have win 7 and I'm trying like the dickens to not be forced into win 10.
Of course the usb 3 ports aren't recognized by win 7, so I got the patcher (Windows 7 USB Patcher ver:2.0.16.1), made the bootable usb with the win 7 disk, but as soon as I got to the language select screen, the keyboard (I tried 2) doesn't work or have any lights on. The mouse doesn't do anything either.
I thought the patcher would fix this, but no dice. Support seems to have abandoned me, anyone else the through this problem?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:39pm
The patcher is for intel 100 series boards and therefore includes drivers for Intel's USB implementation. You would need to find a different patcher that includes AMD's drivers. The reason support has left you out in the cold is because they have to. Officially Ryzen and Kaby Lake are not supported on windows 7/8. This little fact ties their hands.

I got around this on my Kaby Lake system by using a PS2 keyboard. You may prefer a mouse as it is easier to navigate with but I needed the keyboard to enter info. Once installed I then updated the drivers and the mouse/keyboard (USB) were detected. This was windows 8.1 however.

You will have to get creative if you plan to avoid win10 with Ryzen. I am sure there are others out there that have succeeded.

chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 2:38am
i too used PS2 kb and mouse. but maybe you can set your usb's to a legacy mode? use usb-2.0 header on the mobo if it has one?
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:36am
All you need to do is manage to get through the install, once installed windows should be able to pick up the drivers from the internet. Maybe try a streamlined install, if you don't know what that is, google it. You should find all you need to get a flash install medium set up.

The problem is that MS has purposefully made it difficult.
Haphapablap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haphapablap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 5:40am
I had used a ps/2 adapter with a usb keyboard.
Today I got a ps/2 keyboard, and it worked fine. Couldn't tell you why the adapter didn't work. But, I was using a usb drive to boot, and win 7 still can't see that.Dead
I'll have to borrow a dvd drive and I think we're gold.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Haphapablap Haphapablap wrote:

I had used a ps/2 adapter with a usb keyboard.
Today I got a ps/2 keyboard, and it worked fine. Couldn't tell you why the adapter didn't work. But, I was using a usb drive to boot, and win 7 still can't see that.Dead
I'll have to borrow a dvd drive and I think we're gold.

The reason is your board and all of the late model Intel mother boards will only use a USB 3.0 driver with ALL of the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, so none of the USB ports will be functioning with a standard Windows 7 installation.

The Patcher program adds a USB 3.0 driver to the Windows 7 installation files, which allows the USB ports to work.

As Xaltar said, if you don't fix the Windows 7 installation media, you MUST install a USB 3.0 driver after the Windows installation, or none of the USB ports will work

It is also true that only Windows 10 is officially supported with Ryzen.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 1:34pm
There is a windows 7 patcher on the download page for all (ASRock) AM4 boards. Thanks Parsec for pointing that out, I had completely missed it.

Make sure you use 2.0.16 not the beta which is outdated.
ucsmfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucsmfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 5:45pm
So I am trying to get Windows 7 installed on my new Ryzen built computer as well.

I have the Windows7 USB Patcher for AMD AM4 series motherboards downloaded and saved on a usb stick. 

How can I run it because I also have a copy of Windows 7 OS on that usb drive. Everytime I boot up, Windows7 starts loading and once I get to the install page it says "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, usb installation".

Any tips would help.

Thanks
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by ucsmfu ucsmfu wrote:

So I am trying to get Windows 7 installed on my new Ryzen built computer as well.

I have the Windows7 USB Patcher for AMD AM4 series motherboards downloaded and saved on a usb stick. 

How can I run it because I also have a copy of Windows 7 OS on that usb drive. Everytime I boot up, Windows7 starts loading and once I get to the install page it says "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, usb installation".

Any tips would help.

Thanks

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/win7install/

Then choose the button with the AMD AM4 Series listed.

It will walk you through.
ucsmfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucsmfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:01am
Thanks wardog, I will try that when I get home tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic