ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi with TR wont install Server 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwagenknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Taichi with TR wont install Server 2016
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:46pm
I can install Windows Server 2012r2 but when I try to install 2016 as either fresh off USB or as an upgrade on top of 2012 r2 it freezes at Windows load logo!

Anyone know why?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:56pm
kwagenknight, I do not think I have an answer for you, but how is your install disk formatted?  If it is not GPT, please change it to GPT and try again.  I would suggest you format all disks in your system as GPT.  Please provide more system HW details, such as memory, etc.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
kwagenknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwagenknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:20pm
Thanks for the reply!

So I have the Taichi x399 running an AMD Threadripper 1950X liquid cooled, 32GB (4x8gb) GSkill 3200 RAM. Im using 3 Samsung 960PRO M.2 NVMe drives. I can and have easily installed Server 2012r2 after the initial install failure of Server 2016. Once I had 2012r2 installed I then attempted to install Server 2016 and it got to the reboot stage of the install of 2016 then upon boot to complete 2016 install it froze at the same spot as the attempt from the USB fresh install where the Windows logo appears and then it should have the loading circle animation and that animation never appears and it sits not doing anything. When I restarted after that freeze it booted back to Server 2012r2 and told me it failed to install and said "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"
I believe that is a BIOS or board issue preventing the install.

As a test I actually installed it on my desktop running a Ryzen 7 1700X setup and it installed fine.

I had also tried the GPT vs MBR and a few other options available in Rufus with no success, and like I mentioned the same USB install worked on my other machine.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:38pm
Thanks, kwagenknight, but please provide more details including exact memory model (qualified?) and BIOS version.  Make sure you are running the latest BIOS (1.30) and use the Install Flash (BIOS) not the Windows method.  Ryzen has shown many problems with memory.  When you have Windows up, does all 32 GB of memory show in the Task Manager/Performance?  If all else fails remove all but one memory stick and see if you can install.  Google gets lots of hits on "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation", some with solutions.  Please take a look and see if any apply to your situation.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Things to look at and/or try:
When booted back into 2012, see if you can find a setuperr.log file concerning the 2016 installation.
Boot to BIOS and "Load UEFI defaults", F9, then Save and Exit.
I assume you are booting the USB stick in UEFI mode when using GPT disk?

Edited by MisterJ - 18 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:42am
I have the same problem with the X399 Gaming Pro. I can get WIndows 10, Server 2012R2 installed and booting but not server 2016. using latest 1.3 bios, removed all the memory sticks, tried again one by one, no issues with the memory just with booting off usb media. used rufus, used the windows 7 usb boot tool, fat32 boot partition with ntfs fs, fat32 partition with the files split over 2 partitions. nada.

The ram I am using is CMK64GX4M8A2400C14 ver:5.30, bios is lates installed via flash and not windows.

Edited by tombmedia - 01 Sep 2017 at 11:46am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by tombmedia tombmedia wrote:

I have the same problem with the X399 Gaming Pro. I can get WIndows 10, Server 2012R2 installed and booting but not server 2016. using latest 1.3 bios, removed all the memory sticks, tried again one by one, no issues with the memory just with booting off usb media. used rufus, used the windows 7 usb boot tool, fat32 boot partition with ntfs fs, fat32 partition with the files split over 2 partitions. nada.

The ram I am using is CMK64GX4M8A2400C14 ver:5.30, bios is lates installed via flash and not windows.

What is the install stating/showing. and where during the install?

tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:33am
I get an initial boot off the thumbdrive, then a grey screen with the "Loading Files" message and a white progressbar which loads twice and then flips to either a windows logo or the asrock logo (depending on my approach) and from there  it just hangs. I no longer see any drive activity nor does it read anymore from the usb drive. I've left it for days and no activity.

Other weird thing is in that state I can hit the power button and it just turns right off, so it doesn't look like the setup os is loading at all.

MB post codes are off at this point as it has booted something but not enough to continue.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:31am
tombmedia, so you are not getting "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation" error that kwagenknight is getting?  Please tell us the details of your setup.  Please open the BIOS and hit F9 to Load UEFI Defaults.  How did you create your install USB?  Have you tried booting and installing from it on another system?  Can you burn a DVD and try that?  Are you using USB-2 or 3 port?  Maybe there are not any USB-2 ports on TR.  Where did you get the Server 2016 install code?  Did you modify it at all?  Please tell us as much as you can.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:40am
No, he didn't get that error until he installed 2012r2 and tried to upgrade to 2016. I haven't tried to upgrade yet.

X399 Gaming Pro
1950X Threadripper
MSI RX 550
Corsair RM850i
256GB Samsung 850 Pro
64GB Corsair LPX Ram - kit # listed above.

I am using various methods to create the usb drive. Rufus, Windows 7 USB backup tool, manually copying over the bootsector.

The same usb drive that fails works fine on a MSI X370 Titanium with a Ryzen 1700, same ram same drive same usb key and it installs 2016 without issue. I have an asrock X370 Gaming Pro I could try on but I have a feeling it will work on that board too.

Software comes directly from my MSDN account, not a flakey copy. No usb2 on the board at all, not even a header. The iso is 5.7gb and I don't have any dual layer dvd burners

I even went so far as to install server 2016 on the x370 machine and move the hdd to the x399 box but no avail it won't boot off the drive if I do. Something about the 2016 boot that this board does not like.

Note I tested the ram for days, I tested the drive, I bought a brand new usb key (2 actually at this point) I made sure to reset the bios after my first set of issues and have been trying since on the default settings. Now that I'm back to 2012r2 I have everything setup again in the bios and it works great, I really don't think there is anything wrong with the board or the components within. This is something to do with the UEFI and server 2016. When I build this system as windows 10 it is rock solid.

Edited by tombmedia - 02 Sep 2017 at 4:44am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:30am
tm, do this for me and reply back please.

Place the USB media in one of the two USB ports under the Multi Purpose PS/2 Port and retry.

Oh!!!!!!!!!

what ver of Server 2016? Maked sure you have the correct license. I know 2016 Essentials is Processor based, but check that you aren't butting heads with a Per Core license/version of 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic