ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi with TR wont install Server 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:14am
[URL=][/URL]Hey guys I have a bigger problem, while I can install 2012r2 as soon as I enable hyper-v it refuses to boot to the os. I get some error but it's gone so fast I can't tell you what it is. Nothing in the event log. I can boot again if I disable SVM.

Kinda like this old post: http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=118914

This was all working on an MSI x370 titanium using the same hardware (except the processor and board) as I did some tests with different drives, etc to try and setup a good ryzen smb server.

There is an MSI TR4 board at the computer store here in town I will go grab that and see if that has issues with svm and server 2012/2016.

If it does then this may be a TR issue, if it doesn't then this is a problem with asrock's x399 implementation.

Just to make sure it wasn't a ryzen/asrock issue altogether I enabled hyper-v in the x370 gaming pro rig and it booted up fine. I also tried disabling SMT in the x399 rig as I heard some hypervisors have issues with it enabled but that didn't fix it either, the only thing that got me to boot again was disabling the SVM,

Edited by tombmedia - 04 Sep 2017 at 11:15am
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:34am
Ugh. I was able to install windows 10 on the x399 machine and was able to successfully install the hyper-v feature without any issue. I'm lost now. I don't see any problems if I'm using windows 10 and a ton of problems with server. This could be some setting I need to enable in the bios alongside svm when using server but I'm really pulling at thin air now.
Filthyscum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filthyscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by tombmedia tombmedia wrote:

Ugh. I was able to install windows 10 on the x399 machine and was able to successfully install the hyper-v feature without any issue. I'm lost now. I don't see any problems if I'm using windows 10 and a ton of problems with server. This could be some setting I need to enable in the bios alongside svm when using server but I'm really pulling at thin air now.

Probably late to the party, but I was unable to install any kind of windows off official MS sticks. Had to make one in bootcamp (no native windows hosts..) from the latest MS ISO. I have been told of similar problems with SVM, IOMMU, ACS etc. enabled. Check to see if those virtualization options in BIOS are disabled and not set to auto when loading defaults.

I have no big problems with running vanilla Windows 10, but running Fedora with vfio in mind it's just not working (devices stuck in D3 state).

Other things to note: with certain controller card (i.e Fresco Logic chipset), a Threadripper system will not post (exit code 64)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Filthyscum Filthyscum wrote:

Other things to note: with certain controller card (i.e Fresco Logic chipset), a Threadripper system will not post (exit code 64)

Fresco Logic cards have baffled me many a time.
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm
Sorry filthy but without svm this board/cpu has no value to me.

I have no problems booting off win10 and win2012r2, just 2016 won't boot. 2012r2 won't run with svm enabled but it installs and runs fine otherwise.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:40pm
tombmedia, what do you think about trying a flat install?  I have been running Hyper-V on by system (below) since I built it with not problems.  I am considering a TR and will do more testing if I build one.  I searched for how a homeboy gets a trial copy of Server 2016 and failed.  I hope you can suggest something and tell me exactly what version you are using.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I keep forgetting to mention to all of you.  There are almost no ASRock employees here (just ASROCK_TSD that I know of), so we are all users as you are.  All of you please open tickets and complain.  If it were me I would try to find an e-mail address in Taiwan (.tw at end of URL) and bug them.

Edited by MisterJ - 04 Sep 2017 at 11:44pm
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:51pm
I shouldn't have to do that stuff to install operating systems (i know I can to automate things). I'm a consultant who has been asked if TR is a good smb server platform, I'm not going to get others to go through this nightmare. If this is a TR issue I will just not suggest TR if this is a vendor issue I'll just not recommend the vendor that has issues.

Doesn't explain why svm stops server 2012r2 from working after a successful install. I have a couple more things to test before I go grab that other TR board, I'll update as I go.

If you have an msdn subscription you can download all the operating systems from ms to test with. The exact version I am using is en_windows_server_2016_x64_dvd_9718492.iso which is the latest available online. I wouldn't know where to get another copy you are unable to install without a key unlike win10.

I'll also mention J that this TR build is REPLACING a X370 build that was running successfully for months as I waiting for my TR gear to arrive. I have NO problems on x370 with any of the operating systems or with hyper-v, this issue is exclusive to TR right now. Socket AM4 is a great smb server socket, esp with some older products that still license by socket.

Like I said I have a couple more rounds in the chamber, I'll let you know when the clip is empty.

Edited by tombmedia - 05 Sep 2017 at 12:07am
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

EDIT:? I keep forgetting to mention to all of you.? There are almost no ASRock employees here (just ASROCK_TSD that I know of), so we are all users as you are.? All of you please open tickets and complain.? If it were me I would try to find an e-mail address in Taiwan (.tw at end of URL) and bug them.

For sure mate, thanks again for all the help everyone. I'm here because I'm a big asrock fan and I'm hoping to have exhausted all my options before I open a ticket. I'm pretty close to having run out of options, I just need to try with a different vendor to make sure its not TR or specifically my cpu.

This is literally the only post on the internet right now that has my issue which in itself is suspicious.

Edited by tombmedia - 05 Sep 2017 at 12:31am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 1:32am
tombmedia, I 100% agree with you.  You should be able to install as you wish.  I'm beginning to suspect TR is having sever teething  problems, whether ASRock board or AMD, I do not know.  You can try sending a private message to ASrock_TSD.  I tried on one problem and got no response.  But, please do open support tickets.  If I get to a point of being able to test, I will.  Sorry for all the problems, John.

EDIT: A totally wild idea:  Have you tried to disable the microcode cache in the BIOS?

Edited by MisterJ - 05 Sep 2017 at 3:00am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 4:34am
tombmedia, have you tried disabling SMT?  Please see my EDIT just above.  Also interesting article about EPYC.  Enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic