ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi with TR wont install Server 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:12am
tombmedia, AMD has just released new BIOS code which contains a new AGESA and new microcode.  Please install this latest version from ASRock DLs.  After update boot back into the BIOS and hit F9 to Load UEFI Defaults.  Please let us know if it helps - sure hope so!  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:15am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:19am
Sorry, tombmedia.  I forgot you had a Threadripper.  I did see that the new BIOS was not released yet for X399.  Is there any chance you can try a before/after (Bios update) test on your X370 machine?
I place my system specifications in my signature to help readers.
Sorry again and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:28am
Sorry about that. I'll update when I get a chance.

I don't seem to be able to retrieve the original bios, 1.10 I think it was. It's not listed anywhere that I can see. Again I'm not having any problems with the x370 rig, that one the usb key can install the os successfully, but regardless if I put that thumb drive or the os drive into the x399 rig it will not boot off that drive either.

Wardog, I tried those ports and got the same behavior. Hangs at the logo after loading files.

Also tried to upgrade from 2012r2 and got the exact same error "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation" do I need to have tpm enabled I see a setting for fTPM but its disabled by default?

Edited by tombmedia - 02 Sep 2017 at 10:57am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:53pm
TM, please list out drive config while installing 2016.

Is this an array you're installing to? Maybe previously Encrypted or BIOS Drive Password protected drive(s) by chance?

If it isn't one of the above, use the F6 driver routine using the unpacked SATA Floppy Image download from the 10 x64 drivers d/l page of your MB.

I dunno, but it sure sounds like it's choking on a pre-boot issue and I'm thinking as it's only after 2016 try's running itself from the installed to drive that a controller driver is missing. Make sense to you?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:00pm
TM, sorry man. I'm waiting on ASRock to send me a TR to help out Users here with.

Being unpaid here it's supposed to be the perk/balancing factor for us Moderators spending the time here we do.

I too have MSDN yet w/o a TR board and proc I'm going by past experiences with Server with helping you.

We'll get there though. I'm thinking you F6 pre-loading the SATA drivers is the solve. Geek

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm
tombmedia, I'm asking that you try installing 2016 on your X370 with current BIOS, and if it fails as in the TR, then update the BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.6b and see if it works.  Sorry for the miscommunication.  Please tell us what X370 MB model you have.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:32am
Hi John, good idea, I have a x370 gaming professional, and it was sitting at v2.40 (1.0.0.6) and it was able to boot to the second partition successfully and started loading the proper install.

I then flashed to v3.10 (1.0.0.6b) and again it worked.

See this is a full UEFI install and because of that there are 2 partitions created when you use rufus. Partition 1 is fat32 and allows the boot, then it "loads" the secondary partition which is ntfs and has the large (+4gb) install files.

When I go into the bios I get three options to boot off the usb:
- UEFI: Partition 1
- UEFI: Partition 2
- USB: Something something (sorry can't remember)

These ASRock bios's are nice I can force a boot off any drive on the last screen so with the TR if I force boot option 1 I get loading screen and then it goes to asrock logo and hangs. If I select option 2 it goes through the same loading screen and it then goes to a windows logo and hangs and if I select usb (option 3) it goes to the black "Error loading operating system" error I get when I try to do this off a MBR usb key (trust me short of putting my pecker in this thing I've tried everything)

in the x370 on both bios versions I can easily boot off uefi partition 1 and it goes through the loading screen, then flashes back to the asrock logo and this time I get the spinning dots that signifies server 2016 (or windows 10) is loading successfully.

Wardog, I don't even need to have drives plugged in to run this test. It will still boot to the windows installer and after I enter my key it tells me no drives detected. This is where I would enter the storage drivers and I can't even get this far on the x399 rig.

Edited by tombmedia - 04 Sep 2017 at 1:33am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 2:29am
Thanks much, tombmedia, for the great work!  This at least eliminates Ryzen.  I have one more install for you to try.  I have done all my installs on VM or HW using a Flat (disk drive) for some time.  I will help as you need but since you may well know how, I won't bore you with the details.  Basically I DL the W10 ISO and place the extracted files into a folder on my INSTALL disk.  I also have a .xml file with install information (unattended answer file) but it is not  required.  I boot a USB stick in UEFI containing Win64PE.  I then use diskpart to find my INSTALL partition, point to it and start setup.exe.  All is pretty much normal after that except it is very fast!  My INSTALL partition is on a Samsung 960 EVO SSD.  Please let me know if you want to try this and let me know if I can help in any way.  Apparently TR does not handle the two step install USB well.  This will avoid this and no need to worry about exceeding FAT limit.  I started to ask you about the Server 2016 size for this reason.  Thanks again for your help.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Since the X370 is a Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming perhaps the problem is a Taichi BIOS problem. 

Edited by MisterJ - 04 Sep 2017 at 2:33am
tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
Both of my asrock ryzen boards are the Fatal1ty ones, the x399 and the x370 :)

The OP was on a x399 taichi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic