ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SGX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SGX
    Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:13am
When trying to play Ultra DVDs through Powerdvd 17 Ultra, it says: This media cannot be played because the required Intel SGX (SW Guard Extensions) wasn't started. Please reinstall the full set of Intel Management Engine (ME) software components. Error code 21204

I have it enabled in the bios. I did go to Intel's web site and downloaded the current version.

Is there any thing else I can do to make it work, or start?

Using the onboard graphic card which is supposed to play Ultra 4k.

Z270 Gaming i7 motherboard
Kaby Lake processor.

Thanks

BiTs
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by bits2000 bits2000 wrote:

When trying to play Ultra DVDs through Powerdvd 17 Ultra, it says: This media cannot be played because the required Intel SGX (SW Guard Extensions) wasn't started. Please reinstall the full set of Intel Management Engine (ME) software components. Error code 21204

I have it enabled in the bios. I did go to Intel's web site and downloaded the current version.

Is there any thing else I can do to make it work, or start?

Using the onboard graphic card which is supposed to play Ultra 4k.

Z270 Gaming i7 motherboard
Kaby Lake processor.

Thanks

I'm not 100% certain the following applies to your situation, but this is from your board's specs:

Due to chipset limitation, the Blu-ray playback of Intel® HD Graphics is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z270%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/index.asp#Specification

Are you using Windows 10?

Intel does not provide the IME software from their download pages anymore for mother boards made by other manufactures, like ASRock. The IME software on your board's download page is the best version to use. But you may be stuck with the limitation I listed above.

Otherwise, do you have the Intel graphics driver installed?
bits2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:53pm
I am using Windows 10. So if I put Windows 8.1 back in, it will work? Is 8.1 same as 8?

Yes, I am using the Intel Graphics Driver that is on the board and have the current driver installed from ASRock's web site. The ME driver as well and  Intel SGX PSW for windows  v1.8.100.38781.

Thank You,

BiTs
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:27pm
I don't have personal experience with your situation, so can only go by the specifications. So I cannot tell you with absolute certainty that changing to Windows 8.1 will allow you to play those disks.

Your board's UEFI, in the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen, has an option called SW Guard Extensions (SGX). I cannot tell from the manual if that option is enabled by default or not. Check that this option is set to Enabled before you try using Windows 8.1.

You could also ask about this in Intel's support forum, the Chipset sub-forum is probably the best choice:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/chipsets
bits2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 12:00am
Yes  the SGX is enabled and I upped the shared memory to 1gb. 

I did on Intel's forum, but put in under graphics. No replies yet on it.

Thanks....
BiTs
bits2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:02am
Ok, this is what I learned.

The Kaby Lake processor does not support Windows 7, 8/8.1. I know this because I installed 8.1 and when trying to get my updates, I got about 75 percent of them before it stopped and said I couldn't get anymore because this processor only supports Windows 10. It was made for 10.

I could not get the SGX PSW to installed because it need C Runtime which was not running because it is not supported.

My Motherboard according to the specs,  Due to chipset limitation, the Blu-ray playback of Intel® HD Graphics is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.
Intel® InTru??3D is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.

So the Motherboard can play The dvd's only if you have Windows 7 or 8, but the processor will not work with these Windows.

Now, Kaby Lake is the only one that will play Ultra dvd's as long I guess as you have a motherboard that will support it in Windows 10.

Time to buy A Ultra Blu-ray standalone player and hook it to my TV.

Bought both because I thought they supported it, guess I was wrong again.

If anyone one else has any other insight on this let me know.

Thanks....Cry

Edited by bits2000 - 21 Aug 2017 at 4:05am
BiTs
dubbcd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubbcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:56am
Does your BDROM support 4KUHD BD disk?
bits2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:00pm
I will say it does since it reads the title. I have one movie that actually played out of about 6.
It is a BDXL Blu-ray drive. It's about a couple of months old. All the installing and uninstalling I have done I need to see if it still plays.

The BD Rom I had before this one did not do anything and says there is no disc in the drive.

What do you think?

Thanks....Tongue
BiTs
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by bits2000 bits2000 wrote:

Ok, this is what I learned.

The Kaby Lake processor does not support Windows 7, 8/8.1. I know this because I installed 8.1 and when trying to get my updates, I got about 75 percent of them before it stopped and said I couldn't get anymore because this processor only supports Windows 10. It was made for 10.

I could not get the SGX PSW to installed because it need C Runtime which was not running because it is not supported.

My Motherboard according to the specs,  Due to chipset limitation, the Blu-ray playback of Intel® HD Graphics is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.
Intel® InTru??3D is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.

So the Motherboard can play The dvd's only if you have Windows 7 or 8, but the processor will not work with these Windows.

Now, Kaby Lake is the only one that will play Ultra dvd's as long I guess as you have a motherboard that will support it in Windows 10.

Time to buy A Ultra Blu-ray standalone player and hook it to my TV.

Bought both because I thought they supported it, guess I was wrong again.

If anyone one else has any other insight on this let me know.

Thanks....Cry

Your statement that I highlighted above, while in a sense is true, is a contradiction in terms. Or as we used to call it, a Catch22 situation. Not your fault, but caused by the as far as I know, arbitrary non-support of Ultra-HD playback on the system.

You probably know this is caused by DRM, Digital Rights Management. The movie/TV studios fighting piracy of their products on PC platforms where it was possible to make copies, that is not possible or as easily possible on a DVD player designed to work with TVs.

Windows 10 as far as I know itself has locked out Ultra HD playback, that is a major factor here. The earlier versions of Windows (7, 8.1) don't have that restriction. Given Kaby Lake is only supported by Windows 10, you hit a wall right there.

Regarding the board supporting Ultra HD playback, the only boards that can support a Kaby Lake processor must have an Intel 200 or 100 series chipset, like a Z270, Z170, etc. Then we encounter the "chipset" restriction, but is that simply the Kaby Lake processor, Windows 10 only limitation, or more DRM built into the chipset?

The only thought I had was going one step backwards to a Skylake processors, i7-6700K for example. But we then have these specifications for Kaby Lake and Skylake graphics:

HWA Encode/Decode: VP8, HEVC 8b, VP9, HEVC 10b (For 7th Gen Intel® CPU) Kaby Lake

HWA Encode/Decode: VP8, HEVC 8b; GPU/SWEncode/Decode: VP9, HEVC 10b (For 6th Gen Intel® CPU) Skylake

You tell me if this means a Skylake processor with appropriate graphics will support Ultra HD playback, since Skylake processors are supported by Windows 7 and 8.1. You can see that spec in your board specification page. You might need a Z170 board, or will a Skylake processor on your board work for Ultra HD playback?

bits2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bits2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:35am
I have an i7-6700k Sky Lake processor and an ASRock Extreme 7+ motherboard on another computer with an R9-290X Sapphire Video card. According to ASRock which I contacted  before I bought the Z270 and Kaby Lake, he stated only the 250 and above boards can play Ultra. The Z270 would be better and only Kaby Lake processor. No other processor could handle it.

He stated that Sky Lake could not.
He also stated my Extreme 7+ could not.

This is why I bought the Kaby Lake and the Z270 because I have it hooked to my 65" TV which I stream off of my  computer.

Thanks....Big smile

Edited by bits2000 - 23 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
BiTs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic