ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking on B350 Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superannoyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:03am
It black screens at any change I attempt to make to the Vcore or Frequency, it only allows me to save and restart if I leave those settings on auto. It's strange because I was able to actually change these values and boot with the same settings the first few times as I was fine tuning the OC, then it suddenly decided to nope me out of BIOS OC'ing because the board obviously hates me LOL

Edited by superannoyed - 13 Oct 2017 at 4:05am
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:47am
I've not had a chance yet to try P-State OC but I'm fully expecting to be disappointed. I don't know what's wrong because the OC's seem stable via Ryzen Master so (presumably) the chip can handle the clocks & voltages. @Superannoyed, what UEFI version are you using? I'm reluctant to upgrade past 1.06 because nothing is broken per say, but I want to OC to a modest 3.8 without having to perform some voodoo magic on the stupid computer.
superannoyed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superannoyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:15am
I just tried PState0 OC'ing with the BIOS 3.0, and it doesn't work. I set the VID to 20 (1.35v) or 1E (1.36v) and the FID to 99 (3825) and had a lot of trouble booting. When I did, HWiNFO64 told me my clock was at 2800 and my vcore was around 1.375-1.385.

I tried with lower values, and needless to say, it didn't work for me.

I'm inclined to believe this board is just garbage. This was my first ASRock board, and I'm thoroughly disappointed if it won't even let me Save & Exit with the settings. It's stable in Ryzen Master, so it's not the chip being unable to handle the OC. I can't even boot with lower values!

If anything this experience has taught me not to buy a budget board, and just go full out on the best board because this is absolutely annoying.

Edited by superannoyed - 13 Oct 2017 at 5:22am
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:23am
I'm inclined to think you are correct unless ASRock can fix something with an update. It makes you wonder about the long-term reliability as well. Wonder if the cheaper ASRock or Gigabyte X370's are any good, and if the B350 can be sold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superannoyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:25am
I've read that people with similar problems on other boards fixed it with the voltage offset instead of a static one.

As this board lacks Offset, LLC, SOC and a bunch of other things I was not aware that it lacked, this board is obviously not made for OC'ing.

We were juked. I think i may pick up a B350-F or an X370-F. 
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:29am
It's just weird that Ryzen Master can hit the OCs just fine but the UEFI wont even boot using the same exact settings. It's certainly not designed to be significantly pushed, but when a platform is sold as being overclockable for all, it should be overclockable for all rather than some who pay more $$ for premium. Also a couple of these boards sold on eBay pre-owned for $50+ USD so at least some money can be recovered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superannoyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:37am
Pretty sure it's some UEFI bug that not a lot of people have, so ASRock doesn't know about it or just don't care. It's also not the Vcore, since I was able to boot into my broken PState after a hard restart, and it displayed the values higher than my actual setting.

I've tried basically everything to fix this problem except flashing 3.20 BIOS, but I heard there's a lot of bugs for that. 

If you plan on upgrading to Zen+ or Zen 2 and OC'ing those, this definitely is not the board for you.

Pretty sad, since before buying a lot of reviews said this thing was good. 

It is good, at giving me headaches. 

Edited by superannoyed - 13 Oct 2017 at 5:42am
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:44am
Lmao you can wait for 1.07 I suppose and hope for the best. I don't know how ASRock handles bug reporting but it may be worth noting. They do however appear to treat these boards as 2nd tier (which they are). I'm really hoping this platform to last a good 4-5 years (my Sandy Bridge laptop lasted 5) and I think an OC will make that very probable. But it looks like that ain't happening with this board.

Edited by Zach1928 - 13 Oct 2017 at 5:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superannoyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:58am
I realize they are "2nd Tier", but this bug is a pretty big issue for owners of this board. Offset, LLC, and SOC missing was fine with me when I first booted it up, as long as I could dial in an OC.

I was also hoping it would last me a good 4-5 years, but nope, guess not.

We also don't know when AGESA 1007 is releasing so that's one of the reasons I may just skip the hassle and buy a different board. 

I guess it's a good board if you're not overclocking, which I guess ASRock thought that most people who OC would just go for their X370's. I'm just really salty because other B350's (and some Pro4's) are actually able to at least POST LOL
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 6:01am
as i said dont overclock using the XX25 mhz  use solid numbers
eg 3700/3800/3900

heres a guide to pstate overclocking for asrock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Tw-wcT7o4
for 3800 use settings
fid = 98
did = 8
vid = 20

leave everything in oc tweaker alone !
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic