ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X Extreme4+, W10 and BIOS 2.60 freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dario Mate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:47am
No more random freezes with BIOS 2.40!!Smile
Alamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
Update on my original post.
Memtest from memtest.org showed that I have a 1 byte error on one of my DIMMs.
I took it out and the system runs again with the monitor working, now I'm back to random hangs and restarts and reset to Instant Boot - What's that all about?
Asrock Tech Support very helpful, but unable to pin down issues.

I'll just have to save up and rebuild with different hardware.

Next time I'll check the forum to see if there are issues with my next choice.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Alamo Alamo wrote:

Update on my original post.
Memtest from memtest.org showed that I have a 1 byte error on one of my DIMMs.
I took it out and the system runs again with the monitor working, now I'm back to random hangs and restarts and reset to Instant Boot - What's that all about?
Asrock Tech Support very helpful, but unable to pin down issues.

I'll just have to save up and rebuild with different hardware.

Next time I'll check the forum to see if there are issues with my next choice.

So you found a problem with your memory, and fixed one problem. That's good, but how do you know that your other issues are caused by the hardware you have now?

Would it have been right to base your choice on what you originally wrote, if it was written by someone else?

What is a reset of Instant Boot?
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:06pm
FM2A78M Pro4+
FM2A88M Extreme4+

Basically the same motherboard.

I cross-flashed the FM2A78M Pro4+ to FM2A88M Extreme4+,
working fine.

Cheep chipset upgrade for everyone.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
L0405 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L0405 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:15pm
I have the same issue. With the original firmware was freezing under loading, and random. With 3.20 i have random freezes without any loading. When i turn off c6 in bios, no freezing at all. I have tried other rams and psu, but haven't noticed any changing.

FM2A88X Extreme4+
A8 7600
Windows7
Madmartigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmartigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:58am
Hi everybody,

Originally posted by L0405 L0405 wrote:

I have the same issue. With the original firmware was freezing under loading, and random. With 3.20 i have random freezes without any loading. When i turn off c6 in bios, no freezing at all. I have tried other rams and psu, but haven't noticed any changing.

Hi L04505, I seem to be having the same problem (random freezes on a win 7 clean install, once frozen, I have to do a hard reboot) and I'm currently running a 3.20 bios.

A few days passed since your post, can you confirm you have stopped getting freezes after disabling C6 ?
What settings did you modify in your bios to disable C6, just "Core C6 Mode", or did you also changed "Package C6 mode" ?

I don't know much about bios settings so any help would be appreciated.

Also : the only link in this thread to a download for the 2.50 bios is a softpedia links that returns a 404 error when trying to download. Does anyone know a safe source to download it ?

My pc specs :
  • CPU : AMD A8 7600 (using stock fan)
  • Mobo : ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
  • Graphics : Radeon R9-380P-2DF5 2GB by XFX
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (4x4gb) [2 new sticks and 2 older ones]
  • PSU : Corsair VS650
  • 1 DVD RW [old hardware]
  • 1 HDD WD10 EARS (1tb) [old hardware], I have two partitions (+ the hidden reserved for system partition of course)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Madmartigan Madmartigan wrote:

Hi everybody,

Also : the only link in this thread to a download for the 2.50 bios is a softpedia links that returns a 404 error when trying to download. Does anyone know a safe source to download it ?

My pc specs :
  • CPU : AMD A8 7600 (using stock fan)
  • Mobo : ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
  • Graphics : Radeon R9-380P-2DF5 2GB by XFX
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (4x4gb) [2 new sticks and 2 older ones]
  • PSU : Corsair VS650
  • 1 DVD RW [old hardware]
  • 1 HDD WD10 EARS (1tb) [old hardware], I have two partitions (+ the hidden reserved for system partition of course)

The Beta download section for your board has a 2.60A version that is very likely not much different than version 2.50, and most likely does not have whatever it is in the 3.20 version that seems to be causing this problem.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Beta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmartigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Beta download section for your board has a 2.60A version that is very likely not much different than version 2.50, and most likely does not have whatever it is in the 3.20 version that seems to be causing this problem.

Thank you parsec but I don't think 2.60A is much of an option : most people here report freezes while running vanilla 2.60 firmware, so although 2.60A is likely to be close to 2.50, it's much more likely to have the same problems as 2.60, plus a bunch of other stuff from being a beta release.

After browsing the net for several hours about informations on C6, I decided to test L0405 solution at the moment, waiting to see if my computer will like it better (another interesting thread on this subject although this person has a different CPU).

Unfortunately deactivating the C6 core sleep mode seems to have some side effects, including a little more strain, temperatures and power consumption of the CPU when idle (perhaps also when working... readings from AMD Overdrive seems to indicate higher use of CPU when doing something strenuous, but I can't be completely sure about it).

Even if this works, I think on the long term it may (at least) slightly diminish the life span of the CPU, the CPU's fan and the thermal paste as well as crank up my power bill a notch.

Anyway, I am curious to know what pushed AsRock to stop distributing older bios versions, especially since this problem was reported by several people and seems to have an easy fix. Maybe 2.50 has other defects, but I would like to be given the choice to test that for myself, since any and all bios flashing is done at your own risks anyway.

Edited by Madmartigan - 19 May 2016 at 12:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmartigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:33pm

Hi, since a week has passed without any kind of incident, I can finally say that my freeze problem is over, after several weeks spent trying to understand where those freezes came from.

I used my computer for a day without Core 6 State enabled and it worked well. I then tried to enable it and disabled only Package Core 6 State like digithom did, and since then my computer has been working fine.

NB : the option to disable PC 6 State is only offered when C6 State is enabled, because Package Core 6 State needs Core 6 State enabled to work. If C6 State is disabled, by default, PC6 State will be disabled by the bios, which solves the problem but augment consumption and CPU load, but apparently, you don?�t need to deactivate C6 to avoid freezes, only PC6, at least with bios 3,2 that is. I don?�t think the OS has anything to do with this.

The advantage is that disabling only PC6 State allows for less consumption and strain on the CPU than just disabling Core 6 State.

Many thanks to L0405 for his private message and to both him and digithom for posting their solutions on this forum : you very litteraly saved my computer.

Sorry ASRock, no kudos for you , unless you intend to give me back the 3 weeks of my life I spent looking for a way to solve that problem, because I had no idea what caused it. This is the only place on the web where I found a solution. This problem is not benign and neither is it fine tuning of the bios settings, or else there would be a mention of this problem in the motherboard documentation or in your FAQ. Other than that, the FM2A88X Extreme4+ seems fine. I actually like it... now that it works !

I am not saying that you are not trying hard enough, but it has been going on for at least 7 bios versions so why don't you create a nice tutorial about how to deactivate PC6 State in your FAQ for those who still encounter this problem despite flashing to the latest bios ?

The elephant is not going to leave the room just because you don't want to talk about it you know...

Edited by Madmartigan - 26 May 2016 at 8:37pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:19pm
Happy to hear your problems are resolved, it is good to see the forums fill the role they were designed for. This is not an attachment to ASRock Tech support, it is a user forum provided to allow users to share their experiences and help each other out. Tech Support representatives do check in here from time to time but anyone wanting direct support from ASRock needs to visit the actual support page Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic