ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Pro - Unable to Create Large RAID0
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Pro - Unable to Create Large RAID0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote visualsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 6:13pm
This is what my Device Manager currently looks like.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Well........Finally.

Here goes nothing. Going to do a fresh install on a spare SSD using the F6 SATA Floppy Image.

Yea. There goes nothing.Ouch

I'm semi-down till I figure out what I killed in Windows lastight.

Got the 3TB drives RAIDed, decided to update my BIOS to 3.20 and play with mem for a few, got it to boot albeit very unstable @ 3600, 3600!!!!!!, and wham.

Windows 10 Pro is hosed.

I'll fiddle some more then I'll reinstall, or try a Repair

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by visualsoul visualsoul wrote:

This is what my Device Manager currently looks like.

That looks good to me, the Storage controllers entries are right.

RAIDXpert2 takes some getting used to, compared to Intel's RAID, but it seems to be more sophisticated in some ways, but at the cost of complexity.

The ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming download page has a new version of the AMD RAID driver and RAIDXpert2, despite the dates on ASRock's and AMD's website. I have NOT tried them yet.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#osW1064

visualsoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote visualsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:09pm
Man, I just got mine working... not sure I'm up for messing with it just yet.  Though I am curious. Maybe I'll give it a try.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:51pm
You can run RAIDXpert2 safely and just check it out. If you move the mouse pointer over the Help button at the top right, you can open the User Guide. Your browser should give you an option to save the document, which I think is a good idea.

The Table of Contents is 11 pages by itself, of a 133 page document. Yes, a lot there but we don't need to read it all. I would advise looking at some of it just to understand the terminology and how it works. For example, in the Active Volumes section, a Device of type Legacy is a standard, non-RAID drive that cannot be used (yet) in a RAID array. Any drive or partition to become part of a RAID array must be Initialized first, which you probably know.

Whatever you do, do NOT connect an Intel IRST RAID array to your Ryzen PC. The AMD RAID driver and software will try to make sense of it, but it is not compatible, and the result will be a huge mess in RAIDXpert2. It won't ruin your AMD RAID arrays, but you'll have some cleaning up to do after you remove the Intel RAID array disks. RAIDXpert2 remembers the arrays it thinks it detected, waiting for them to be fixed, etc.

For best results with drives used in the past, use Disk Management on another PC to delete all the partitions, or the Diskpart clean command, before connecting them to an AMD RAID enabled PC.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Whatever you do, do NOT connect an Intel IRST RAID array to your Ryzen PC. The AMD RAID driver and software will try to make sense of it, but it is not compatible, and the result will be a huge mess in RAIDXpert2. It won't ruin your AMD RAID arrays, but you'll have some cleaning up to do after you remove the Intel RAID array disks. RAIDXpert2 remembers the arrays it thinks it detected, waiting for them to be fixed, etc.

Why..... That sounds like experience talking there TongueGeek
visualsoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote visualsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm

Well........Finally.

Here goes nothing. Going to do a fresh install on a spare SSD using the F6 SATA Floppy Image.

Yea. There goes nothing.Ouch

I'm semi-down till I figure out what I killed in Windows lastight.

Got the 3TB drives RAIDed, decided to update my BIOS to 3.20 and play with mem for a few, got it to boot albeit very unstable @ 3600, 3600!!!!!!, and wham.

Windows 10 Pro is hosed.

I'll fiddle some more then I'll reinstall, or try a Repair

So you upgraded your BIOS to 3.20?  What board are you using?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:33pm

Bingo, we had a winner! I should have just said that previously. Ouch

Yes, grabbing two older SSDs from my SSD collection, not sure of their state... but I found out what it was! Yes, an Intel RAID 0 array on two drives becomes about five weird RAID arrays in AMD/Ryzen RAID! Removed the drives, but had to delete those arrays in RAIDXpert2. At least everything else survived!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by visualsoul visualsoul wrote:

So you upgraded your BIOS to 3.20?  What board are you using?

You weren't asking me, but I am now using 3.20 in an X370 Killer SLI/ac, which wardog also uses.

I think 3.20 is fine, the additional options for Smart Fan control in HW Monitoring are worth checking.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:28am

i was waiting for parsec to say at the end
"ask me how i know"
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic