ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

GSkill Trident Z RGB / RGB not functional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:38am
Completely agree with you @parsec. I discarded RGB memory kits when searching parts for my build because I can't stand it fiddling with the SPD data on the stick.

The term "borderline" was used to try to not offend anybody, but as you said, with all the troubleshooting needed to get memory working fast on Ryzen, all we don't need is to add another problematic factor into the equation.

Cheers.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

No offense, but you have three different types of RGB software potentially running at the same time?

It's a miracle that any of it works at all! RGB is the Wild West at this time, anything goes and every component for itself. I wonder how long it will take before RGB gets a standard, and all the currently manufactured RGB products are no longer supported, and can't be used with the new standard?

RGB controlled DIMMs really scares me. Imagine how it must work. The RGB control commands must somehow be injected into the data sent to the memory, which then must be filtered out by something constantly looking for it. So there must be more to it in the DIMMs then simply LEDs. Fascinating how it must work, but consider how it must be implemented for control of LEDs in DIMMs, RGB control data mixed in with our regular data?

The G.SKILL reps have no idea how or why it works, and you no doubt know more about it than they do. Given some of the G.SKILL rep's comments in Newegg reviews, I doubt if most of them ever built a PC in their lives!

Well, infact there was a big problem with Gskill memories RGB Leds and the Asus Aura software, in which if you used that software to change led's colours, potentially SPD corruption would occur rendering the whole memory stick unusable.

I can understand all this RGB craze, because I sometimes like a bit of it, but embeding it in the SPD chip inside the memory, where all the important data to drive the stick is stored, and releasing a beta product to manage it, potentially corrupting that data, it's a bit borderline IMO.   

Borderline is being very generous, IMO it is plain crazy! Wacko

Corrupted SPD data can cause errors in standard data. We won't know it happened until the SPD data is read for use after it is corrupted. SPD data includes the timing settings/data for the memory, and XMP profile(s). We risk corrupting the data used by running programs so we can have pretty lights on our DIMMs?!?! Outrageous is the term I would use! Does the SPD standards organization approve of this extra use of the SPD implementation?

I would not use memory with RGB control implemented like this under any circumstances. It brings an entirely new problem to PCs, RGB control of DRAM memory data corruption. How many issues will occur that we won't know the source of the cause... except we do, but how to prove it, how do we know when and if it occurs?

This is a horrible situation for people that diagnose PC problems. Any strange data related issues, including BSODs, could be caused by corrupted data in memory. The main target of blame for odd problems is always the mother board, when it is too difficult to determine the issue easily. The RGB control program cannot find the memory in different DIMM slots, and the board is blamed. Sorry, not the board's problem, it's the memory and its RGB software. New features in a component must adapt to the existing components, unless the new feature is a defined, approved standard used by the industry.

Now when I see RGB memory models in a build, it will immediately become suspect for the cause of unusual problems. That is, until such time that it is known to be benign. If that is ever possible.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:01am
embrace the LGBT rainbows Hug
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
apatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:57am
Same problem here, no G.Skill memory found by program, I can't even switch off those f...cking rainbow lightening, all the RGB staff is a mess, ASRock mainboard RGB works only with older AsrRgbLedSetup(v1.0.24) version, (v1.0.27) immediately hangs and restarts the system, A-Tuning don't work at all.
ASRock X399 Taichi/X670E Pro RS
AMD Threadripper 1920X/Ryzen 7 7700X
64GB:2xF5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5S/KF548C38BBK2-64
Samsung 960EVO,970Pro/980Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 1050/Asus GeForce RTX 3080TUF
W10P/W11P
Jhelms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhelms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:22pm
Checking back in sir! :)  Was out your way this week wardog, cruising Canyon Lake :)
Jhelms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhelms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:02pm
Parsec, no offense taken :) But you missed the part where I have even tried a fresh install with NO other RGB software and same thing. Works in A1 / B1 but not A2 / B2.

Wardog - much appreciated!

Gskill is piggybacked off asus aura which was somewhat cool in concept but has so many issues like SPD corruption or conflicts as everyone is trying to do their own thing. I really cannot stand the way Gskill implemented it though, in a way that a program starts and assigns the color profile at every boot. It should have had a tiny amount of non volatile memory in which you could assign the profile and it was set for the life of the ram or until you manually loaded a new profile. That would axe all this compatibility nonsense. Anyways - is what it is and GSkill has pretty much gone dark on it as they know they have a royal mess on their hands.

I am only here as this appears to be partially bios since for whatever reason, A2 B2 seem to be hidden. But it could be a million things like their "Beta" software that has not seen an update in many months.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm
A BETA program that hasn't seen updates in months and months.

nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

No offense, but you have three different types of RGB software potentially running at the same time?

It's a miracle that any of it works at all! RGB is the Wild West at this time, anything goes and every component for itself. I wonder how long it will take before RGB gets a standard, and all the currently manufactured RGB products are no longer supported, and can't be used with the new standard?

RGB controlled DIMMs really scares me. Imagine how it must work. The RGB control commands must somehow be injected into the data sent to the memory, which then must be filtered out by something constantly looking for it. So there must be more to it in the DIMMs then simply LEDs. Fascinating how it must work, but consider how it must be implemented for control of LEDs in DIMMs, RGB control data mixed in with our regular data?

The G.SKILL reps have no idea how or why it works, and you no doubt know more about it than they do. Given some of the G.SKILL rep's comments in Newegg reviews, I doubt if most of them ever built a PC in their lives!

Well, infact there was a big problem with Gskill memories RGB Leds and the Asus Aura software, in which if you used that software to change led's colours, potentially SPD corruption would occur rendering the whole memory stick unusable.

I can understand all this RGB craze, because I sometimes like a bit of it, but embeding it in the SPD chip inside the memory, where all the important data to drive the stick is stored, and releasing a beta product to manage it, potentially corrupting that data, it's a bit borderline IMO.   
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Jhelms Jhelms wrote:

I would rather they just put a damn small hard-wire on each ram module and let RGB be controlled that way vs trying to do it as they do within the ram profile.

Like I said, works perfectly in one set of slots, but not the other. Something is blocking the software from seeing the sticks in A2 and B2. Frustrating part is, the modules do not hold their settings. So I cannot program them how I like in A1/B1 and then switch. Once powered down, they loose their settings.

LOL I am flying the rainbow colors at 3200 but rather not!

For other RGB software currently installed, I use Sapphire trixx - but once set, I do not have to start or run it as it keeps the profile. I also run corsairs program for my cooler. To note, prior to installing either of those with this new build, I did try GSkills software first and same thing. Works fine in A1/B1 just not A2/B2.  So it does not appear to be an RGB conflict at this time.

Again, I am not the only one or first one with the issue. Seems more common than one can imagine. I am only seeking help here as GSkill seems to put it partially on mobo manufacturers and their bios - and then they cover themselves with the whole "this is only beta software". In short, they are selling a production product that really should be in early beta or even alpha testing determined by the number of issues that are coming up.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Jhelms Jhelms wrote:

Checking in boss :)

To be honest I forgot plum about your second request of actually changing color.

I just now fired off email, with a link here to this Thread.

Again, I'm truly sorry for my forgetting. Please accept my sincerest apology for my having done so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic