ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS updating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS updating
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:14am
Is there a breakdown of the various ways to upgrade the BIOS?...I only do it rarely and have usually forgotten the best approved safest way to do it, but I will probably be considering it when I get my new build together.
I have a Fatality B350 gaming ITX, and a small lbel on what I take to be the BIOS chip says P2.01.
I assume this is the version onboard, and realise there are newer versions that may or may not be what I need.....
A dummy guide would be great, last thing I want to do is brick the board! but I do not want to be so nervous of doing it I never update either................
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:01am
its easy
first off download the 'instant flash ' version form asrock
expand/extract the file
copy the file onto a usb drive (treat yourself buy a nice new one ,from a trusted brand) less than 4gb and formated to fat 32
now either boot system and press f6 to start instant flash, or boot into bios (del/f2) and find instant flash direct it to the usb drive and follow clear instructions
now heres a list of DONT DO'S

dont flash the bios in the windows enviroment EVER ,ZILCH,NEVER,PUNISHMENT OF DEATH type event

dont flash the bios if you have already altered the default settings (eg set ram with XMP, overclacked cpu etc etc)

just to be sure press f10 before flashing and select 'default settings' save n exit

one last thing dont tempt fate, while actually flashing bios make every effort NOT to loose elcetric supply  (eg kick the kids out the house ,wife too is best,dont think its time to switch the kettle on for tea,because at the bios flashing time murphys law states that is the best time to trip the fuse board with a sudden broken kettle)

after flashing the system tells you to restart ,do so and dont panic when it takes considerably longer to boot, this is normal ,enter bios (f2/del) have a browse save and exit ,enter bios again, save and exit and then let windows start (it has been known with some systems to stop booting windows and restart itself at this stage, just let it )

and then ta-da your bios is updated

now go load a reasonable little overclock on that amazing little cpu Smile
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:30am
That is a really helpful post,  thank you for taking the time to help. I feel much easier about doing it now.

Looking forward to getting it up and runnng, although it is a very modest build compared to most on here, but will be fine for what I need....
AS Rock B350 Fatality gaming ITX
Ryzen 3 1200
16GB  Crucial Ballistix sport 2400..( 2 x 8)
Samsung 960 M.2 256GB (boot)
Seagate Firecuda 2,5" 1TB  ( data)
XFX R7-240 GPU
G-Unique 300watt power
Lian-li PC-Q21B case
Win 10 Pro 64 bit

and a top Raven Ridge to replace CPU GPU when they appear..................

Thanks again datonyb!!
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:56am
no problem mate

dont knock the r3 1200
a lot of reviewers like it esp. with a sensible overclock (3.7 ish)

remember it was still a ryzen7 1800x when it came off the line with all its siblings Smile

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 3:42am
Quick question if you don`t mind:
Should I just go for latest version?    Would that work out ok staright from what I have, 2.01?
I think I will do it before I install the OS, so just dealing with the BIOS screen, or F6.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:05am
i usually do grab the latest version myself

but then sometimes there are little bugs

i would say install with the stock one ,as long as everything is working fine and then you have a baseline to compare your own build too if anything gets worse in a later version

a quick tip if i may
download your windows installation media direct from windows website
(google windows media creation tool)

and then you make sure you have a proper new version with the added ryzen software
(we have has small issues with older win 10 discs etc)

and make sure you install windows in uefi mode

you tuber 'pauls hardware' has a good step by step walk through

stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:37am
Great, got that, .( I have win 10 on USB to intall,, no CD etc.., straight from W website)
I will go with whats on board ( 2.01) and get a feel for that...................maybe look for later BIOS if it looks useful then use it..........No need for latest bells and whistles, just a stable platform.
Thanks again ! Appreciated

PS I will have a look at Pauls Hardware, ta!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:52am
Too, immediately after installing 10, install the latest AMD Chipset Driver Package

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers

Edited by wardog - 22 Sep 2017 at 5:52am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:59am
And YES. As daytonyb suggested, I would install the latest BIOS, P3.10 only after you deem your machine stable.

The Current P2.10 is way way outdated now. P3.10 will bring it current with AGESA 1.0.0.6b.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

dont flash the bios in the windows enviroment EVER ,ZILCH,NEVER,PUNISHMENT OF DEATH type event

This above can not be stressed enough. USE INSTANT FLASH. You've been warned. Twice now Geek Clap

Edited by wardog - 22 Sep 2017 at 6:00am
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 6:13pm
Thanks Wardog,

I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit...........

I will only consider updating BIOS after running with what is on board to assess stability etc.......
NEVER from inside windows.............I have cut my little finger off to act as a reminder of this........

I will go to ASRock site to download latest chipset etc drivers as soon as possible.......
Would this be the All-in-one drivers, or go down the list?
Also just wondering why the pref for UEFI rather than ordinary BIOS screen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic