ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

1050 ti with 990FX Extreme9 no video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1050 ti with 990FX Extreme9 no video
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:35am
I have just purchased an MSI Gaming X 1050 Ti to put into my FX6350 based system, which is running in a 990FX Extreme9 motherboard.

I have come across a problem I have never seen before and wondered if anyone here can help.

With the 1050Ti installed, the PC won't POST, it displays no video on any of the 3 outputs (HDMI, DVI or Displayport) and hangs with a b2 (don't think it's 62, there is no bar over the top) showing on the Dr Debug display.

The 1050 Ti works just fine in 2 other PCs, one a Z170 based build and the other a Z77 (on an ASROCK Extreme 4). In addition, an HD4850, GTX 285, R9 290 and GTX 1070 all work just fine in the 990FX motherboard.

I am so confused, since the only combination of parts that won't work is the one that I want!

I have tried Bios 1.70 and 1.80 on the motherboard with no luck. I have tried the 1050 in all of the PCI-E slots (well, the first 3, it won't fit in the 4th due to the PSU) and the same result occurs, except in slot 3 where I get an FF error on the Dr Debug.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I have been building PCs for 30 years and never come across this problem, so more knowledge is required, I like learning new things!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:36am
I would also contact MSI, they may know exactly what the incompatibility is.

Send a support ticket to ASRock too, they may be able to help with a BIOS update, we on the forums can't help with that.

This seems to be a common issue with newer GPUs on older platforms. I believe it is related to an unsupported feature the new cards need, sometimes a BIOS workaround can be created.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:27am
Is the card shown within "System Browser" in the BIOS?

CSM in the BIOS. What is it set to?

Are you Fast Booting?

I HAVE to ask this as I don't see you mention it:
You haven't overlooked supplying the 1050 power to its 6-pin PCIe connector have you? It is commonly overlooked.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:46am
look in bios for
'secure boot state'
and make sure its set to *supported*

750's and 1050's want this enabled
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
tufty1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
Forgot to quote in my reply, deleted.

Edited by tufty1974 - 24 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm
tufty1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Is the card shown within "System Browser" in the BIOS?

CSM in the BIOS. What is it set to?

Are you Fast Booting?

I HAVE to ask this as I don't see you mention it:
You haven't overlooked supplying the 1050 power to its 6-pin PCIe connector have you? It is commonly overlooked.

If I put the card into slot 2 and boot with one of the working cards, then yes, the System Browser recognises that it is there and knows it's an MSI VGA card.

I have tried CSM On and Off, On gets further than Off - with it off the Dr Debig doesn't get as far as the b2 error code, I can't recall where it hangs since I haven't tried that combination for a while!

Fast booting is disabled.

The power connector is attached and I have tried 3 power supplies. They all power (and game) with the 1070 and R9 290 in that PC, which are all much higher power draw than the 1050 Ti.

It's really confusing to me!
tufty1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

look in bios for
'secure boot state'

There is a Secure Boot option with "enabled" and "disabled" options, I have tried both options to no avail. The "Secure Boot State" is set to Disabled and I can't select that option to change it, the cursor jumps right over it from "User Password" to the "Secure Boot" option. There is a "System Mode State" setting too, which is set to "Setup" that I can't select.

Is there another setting I have to enavble to allow these to become available to me?

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by tufty1974 tufty1974 wrote:

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

look in bios for
'secure boot state'

There is a Secure Boot option with "enabled" and "disabled" options, I have tried both options to no avail. The "Secure Boot State" is set to Disabled and I can't select that option to change it, the cursor jumps right over it from "User Password" to the "Secure Boot" option. There is a "System Mode State" setting too, which is set to "Setup" that I can't select.

Is there another setting I have to enavble to allow these to become available to me?

i dont know im afraid
i googled your issue and found a link saying the 750ti wouldnt work in this system due to the bios being set to un-supported secure boot state
the guy couldnt get that card working becuase it was a locked bios on a oem hp system
he did find he could get another brand 750ti working that didnt require unsupported secure boot state though

heres the link it does sound very familier to your issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4PC1--0jJw

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 8:48pm
This is why I posted to contact Tech Support, these issues are often UEFI related. I didn't go to the youtube link but I am going to guess it is Tech Yes City where Brian was having issues with a 750ti, good find btw :)

The issue will probably need a UEFI update to resolve. The problem is usually with the option ROM on the GPU not being compatible.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This is why I posted to contact Tech Support, these issues are often UEFI related. I didn't go to the youtube link but I am going to guess it is Tech Yes City where Brian was having issues with a 750ti, good find btw :)

The issue will probably need a UEFI update to resolve. The problem is usually with the option ROM on the GPU not being compatible.

yes this is what bryan is saying
he also tried to flash a compatable bios file to the 750ti from a zoltac brand which works but it wouldnt flash correctly

so in this case
it may well be
either

a bios flash for the mainboard OR  a bios flash to the gpu card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic