ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi won't boot up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Taichi won't boot up
    Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:01pm
x399 TaiChi
Ryzen 1950x
EVGA 650 G3 220-G3-0650-Y1
G Skill Flare X Series 2133  128Gb
Fractal Design Celsius S24 Cooler
Samsung M2 500g EVO
MSI GeForce GT 710 - I'm a database guy, not a gamer!
When powered on, first get green then flashing blue. When I press the power on button, I hear a click but nothing else. No Dr. Debug codes, no fans.
I've removed the video card and ram but same result.
I've made sure the 4pin, 8pin and 24pin power supplies connected.
Am I doomed to RMA land?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:42pm
sdlashley, please see my signature for my similar build.  The first thing I see is the rating of your power supply.  I have an an additional 200 Watts.
Quote When powered on, first get green then flashing blue.
Where are the lights coming from?  Seems only the PS is even trying.  If so, I would ask PS support and check the PS manual.  What would you RMA?  I would borrow a stronger power supply and try again.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
sdlashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:49pm
The green & blue lights come from behind the gear logo on the mobo. 
Since I'm using such a weak video card and M2 drives and will never OC, the total draw on my power supply < 400watts so a 650w seems big enough. From what I've been able to search, this issue seems to be either the cpu power (4 pin) isn't plugged in or the board is bad. Just trying to make sure I try everything before entering the RMA process.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:22am
it wouldnt be the first time someone didnt connect the front panel cable correctly

have you 'triple' checked them ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
sdlashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:27am
Actually, I did triple, quadruple, bajuple check them... and realized I didn't plug in the 6pin vid connector. But, that didn't help. I also tried this...
power off; unplug; insert 1 dimm into A2; press cmos clear; plug in; power on power supply; power switch mobo.
I repeated the process after insert 2nd dimm into B2.
Same result... led light under asrock gear turns green, then flashing blue. When I hit the power on mobo, I hear a click but nothing else happens.
sdlashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:29am
Since I'm not getting any Dr Debug codes, seems like its either the mobo or power supply. I might need to go buy another power supply and verify it. I am getting some power since the mobo does light up but maybe something else isn't working?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:33am
do you not have a spare psu you can test ?

even new ones can be faulty
(the old saying with electronics they either blow the first day/week or last forever)

i dont think that your drawing too much from it with your precise system

but do wonder why/if a 710 needs a 6 pin power (even 750's draw enough thru the pcie to run)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:40am
sdlashley, have you tried the power on button on the board?  Please do, if not.  Do you have a volt meter to measure the voltages in the 24 pin connector?  Try clearing the CMOS.  I think you are seeing the V5SB (5 volt standby).  if all else fails, remove the front panel connectors from the board and then use the power on button on the board.  Perhaps you have a hot Reset due to plug error on the panel connectors.  You make a good point on the power supply rating, so do not get a new one yet, but you really need to measure your voltages when you get running.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
sdlashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:40am
I didn't think I needed to plug in the 6pin cause, as you said, its such a tiny vc and should just draw from mobo.
My older desktops are Antec Sonta cases with built-in PS... hard to get out. 
At the moment, I don't even have the Video card plugged in (although I have tried to boot with it in).  I'm just trying to get Dr Debug to tell me I'm missing stuff or what's wrong but I don't seem to be getting that far into the boot up process. Even if the CPU or water cooler were installed incorrectly, I would expect Dr Debug to tell me something.

sdlashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 1:45am
I disconnected all the panel connectors from the mobo. Just using the power on switch on the mobo.
I think I have a volt meter but I admit I haven't ever tested a PS before. 
Being lazy here... is there a youtube vid that shows me how to do it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic