ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

When 8.1(Really? 8.1?) states this, did you prior confirm in the BIOS that all eight sticks were correctly enumerated there?

To clarify, 8.1 is NOT responsible for this behavior.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

I just want to know what RAM to use for 128GB and how to get it to work.  I'm buying stuff left and right and I just want it to work :(

128noGB, I think until AMD/ASRock release up to date AGESA/BIOS code, memory will be a real problem in TR.  I am waiting on this memory:
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors
I can't say for sure but I suspect it has been tested under an NDA and G.Skill is waiting for updated BIOS/AGESA to be available before making the memory available.  Please answer the question(s) about what your BIOS is reporting about your memory.  You can also take a screenshot in the BIOS using F12, have a FAT formatted USB stick plugged into your system.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I assume you are aware that only W10 RS2 and above are officially supported.

Edited by MisterJ - 30 Sep 2017 at 2:18am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:34am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

re: CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
I must ask. Is this a 128GB(16GBx8) Kit, or two 64GB(16GBx4) Kits?

If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

The rest here assumes all 8 sticks are consecutively numbered !  If not post back, then contact the reseller or Corsair themselves

Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?
Describe please the method you are using to set XMP, as If you just booted into the BIOS.

You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

Please post what GPU and also try plugging in/powering the 6-pin GFX_12V1 at the lower rt corner.
Connecting GFX_12V1 would be all four MB power  connections: 4-pin(ATX12V2) , 8-pin(ATX12V1) , 24-pin(ATXPWR1) , and lastly 6-pin(GFX_12V1)

Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts that the connectors are round and inserted to their proper depth in the M ends. I've seen on occasion where one has backed out and did not make proper contact with the F pin.

Also look in the F connectors that the pins are centered. Seen this too where a pin was bent and not sliding into the M's round connector. This usually results in a connection that the M+F connection itself didn't allow for the connection securing clip on the M part to "snap' over and lock onto the F side.

Look at ALL power connections that you didn't inadvertently not get all the M-F connections properly inserted and now have two or more pins not getting inserted into their correct contact. ie: powering air

Thanks for the response!  I'll try and respond to every point:

---->  If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

Just took them all out, yes all sticks are numbered in perfect order.  Also they say this on the RAM:

CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
DDR4 128GB(8x16GB)
3000Mhz
16-18-18-36
1.35v
ver 5.39

---->   Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?

I can't get into the BIOS to set XMP with 8 sticks.

Instead, I can 1 to 7 sticks, enter the BIOS, change settings, save and exit and power off, then plug in the 8th stick, then power on.

I'm performing this exactly as I type it:

-- Remove all RAM sticks
-- Populate A2 B2 with 1 stick each
-- Power on and enter BIOS
-- F9 and reset bios to default.  Reboot. Enter into bios
-- Change XMP profile to XMP 2.0 Profile 1
-- Save and exit
-- Populate all 8 RAM sticks, reboot
-- System will not boot/POST, hangs on:  Dr. Error   C0    before rebooting

---> You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

EVGA Geforce 1060 SC.  It has a 6 pin connector.  I've also tried with a secondary GTX970.  Both are the same.  I also tried plugging in the PCIe power into the motherboard.  All 4 power are filled.

SIDE NOTE:  This motherboard has a completely exposed PCIi power connector wiring right next to the motherboard reset/power on switches.  A finger needs to simply be off by less 1 inch before some serious hard to the end-user could occur.  Unlike the entirety of the rest of the mobo, this one has completely exposed power receptacles.

--> Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts

Done and no change.   It should be noted that this is my SECOND motherboard (returned the prior x399 Fatal1ty per Asrock recommendation) as well as my SECOND PSU (other was brand new as well).  New PSU was purchased on the side chance the CPU 2+2/4+4 power wasn't correct.

It almost looks as if the bios says this:  "Hmm, 8 sticks of RAM?  No post.  I don't care what settings just don't POST".
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

have you tried using some old tricks we learnt with the ryzen cpu and ram issues ?

after all ryzen is half a threadripper cpu

with ryzen systems we try tips like

get into bios (using less ram sticks)
change the dram volts to something more powerful eg 1.375volts or even 1.4 volts to test
find the SOC setting and increase this to 1.1volt (this is the actual voltage to the memory controller)

you can also try to see if your heading in correct direction and to make it easier to boot with ram issues
enter bios set xmp to 3000 and then leave ram subtings loose eg cl16/cl18
BUT
lower the actual ram speed manually down to 2133

this basically slows down the ram to much more stable timings

if you can get it to boot then with all 8 sticks gradually adjust settings back to what you require until it becomes unstable again and then you know whats to set it permanantly

Thanks for the response!

I have a question:    What is the SOC settings specifically?  As in, what does ASRock call it?  There are these 2 areas:

VDDCR_SOC Voltage
VDDCR_SOC_S5

There is also VDDCR_SOC Load-Line Calibration.   It defaults to "Level 1". 

Which one would be for changing the SOC?  I searched everywhere but cannot find which one is which. 

UPDATE:   I set XMP enabled, set RAM to 2133mhz, increased VDDCR_SOC_S5 to 1.1v, increased DRAM to 1.375V, changed CL to 18.    It booted 2 sticks, and 4 sticks (as expected).

But 8 sticks of RAM = no POST.

1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post.

Edited by 128noGB - 30 Sep 2017 at 2:52am
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
Hi

I've tha same issue, no post with 8 dimm x 16Gb.

The Dr. code thingy shows this error:  C0

My Conf
Asrock X399 Fatal1ty pro gaming
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Adata XPG DDR4 2400 CL 16-16-16  16GB * 8
Zotac Nvidia 730 GT
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m2

I can only confirm:  1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post

Maybe a buggy BIOS CryOuchShocked?

Edited by Benja - 30 Sep 2017 at 4:31am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 4:57am
Benja and 128noGB, please open a ticket with ASRock and AMD.  Seems like a common problem to me - may well be a BIOS/AGESA issue,  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 5:36am
Opened 2 ticket to ASrock and AMD support...cross finger
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:57am
this might help some

the guy (chew) also posts up some very helpful dram settings and profiles

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support/20
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:51am
Thanks, Benj.  Hopefully it will start some responses.  Enjoy, John.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Benja and 128noGB, please open a ticket with ASRock and AMD.  Seems like a common problem to me - may well be a BIOS/AGESA issue,  Enjoy, John.

I contacted their support and they've been extremely unhelpful. 

Despite my saying that it won't POST with 8x DIMMs plugged in, they are asking for a BIOS screenshot with all 8 plugged in.   It is as if they aren't reading my ticket?

I don't know what else to do.  I've already returned 1 x399 Fatal1ty mobo.  Return this second x399 Fatal1ty and get another brand and chalk it up with ASRock simply not allowing 128GB?  Any ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic