ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi 1.70 BIOS error code loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:56am
May I   add - NEVER flash from Windows.
Even if the vendor allows it - it is ALWAYS better to upload the bios file to a pen drive, clear cmos, reboot, enter UEFI again, flash, reboot, enter UEFI, set everything up again.
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
DylanSchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DylanSchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 6:21pm
so far I see SATA SSD as the common denominator. I'll wait with re-testing when I get my NVME ssds.
jackfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:23am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by DylanSchell DylanSchell wrote:

I have a X399 Taichi  running with 1.50 bios, if I flash it with 1.70, the system goes in a UEFI error code loop. Does anyone have similar experiences, or even better, a solution ?

It just loops over these error codes:

de
ad
a2

for now I used the bios flashback functionality to back to the previous bios, but I would like to make use of the NVME raid in future. ( just running a single SSD at the moment, no raid at all )

We have had no user experiences with the 1.70 UEFI version at this time, since it is so new. You are the first one to post a thread about it that I am aware of.

The only POST code, of those you listed, that matters is the last one shown that remains on the display. That would be the A2 code, which is related to SATA.

A POST code indicates a problem only if POST fails on a particular POST procedure. The other codes you listed are not problems, they passed their tests and continued on to the next POST test.

So this problem happens immediately after flashing to 1.70, and you've never been able to get into the UEFI/BIOS with 1.70, correct?

Was the SATA mode set to RAID with UEFI version 1.50?

What version of Windows are you using?

Just wondering, are you using a SATA SSD, or NVMe SSD?

This is happening to me as well... I have 2x NVMe, 1x SATA (all in M.2 slots).

One thing that might not be clear (based on your response parsec) is that the above boot codes loop, as in they keep going repeating over and over (not once each power up).

It doesn't stop on A2, it just... loops again and again, running through all of the above debug codes.

Is there any BIOS update on the horizon soon? I really want to use NVMe RAID and SATA simultaneously...

Thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by jackfrost jackfrost wrote:

One thing that might not be clear (based on your response parsec) is that the above boot codes loop, as in they keep going repeating over and over (not once each power up).

It doesn't stop on A2, it just... loops again and again, running through all of the above debug codes.

Is there any BIOS update on the horizon soon? I really want to use NVMe RAID and SATA simultaneously...

Thanks

So this POST loop just continues endlessly? Is there any evidence of the PC restarting, and the POST process starting over again?

I ask because a UEFI/BIOS option found in Ryzen boards, AM4 Advance Boot Training will cause the PC to restart multiple times (three by default) to run through the training three times. That may not be the case here. I don't have an X399 board, so can only speculate.

A2 is not the last SATA related POST code displayed with Ryzen boards. That would be A9, possibly followed by 99, which is PCIe related and probably related to an NVMe SSD on the PCIe buss. Did you happen to observe the POST codes shown with the 1.50 UEFI version?

IMO, at this point the other POST codes aren't related or an error, since the last one displayed is always apparently A2, before the loop begins again.

Regardless, it is clear there is a major problem with the 1.70 UEFI version for some users. There will obviously be a need for a new UEFI version, but I have no information about when that will happen.

free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:42pm
i have a similar config with 2 nvme and 1 sata ssd.
my system started only if the sata ssd was in slot 3.
to use a nvme raid configuration i had to clean all old arrays and disks, build all new arrays in bios raidxpert and reinstall the system from scratch.
after this all is working as expected

Edited by free-eagle - 24 Oct 2017 at 2:43pm
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
jackfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by jackfrost jackfrost wrote:

Thanks

So this POST loop just continues endlessly? Is there any evidence of the PC restarting, and the POST process starting over again?

I ask because a UEFI/BIOS option found in Ryzen boards, AM4 Advance Boot Training will cause the PC to restart multiple times (three by default) to run through the training three times. That may not be the case here. I don't have an X399 board, so can only speculate.

A2 is not the last SATA related POST code displayed with Ryzen boards. That would be A9, possibly followed by 99, which is PCIe related and probably related to an NVMe SSD on the PCIe buss. Did you happen to observe the POST codes shown with the 1.50 UEFI version?

IMO, at this point the other POST codes aren't related or an error, since the last one displayed is always apparently A2, before the loop begins again.

Regardless, it is clear there is a major problem with the 1.70 UEFI version for some users. There will obviously be a need for a new UEFI version, but I have no information about when that will happen.

No, it's not restarting and starting the post codes from the beginning... When you hit the power switch, it goes through several debug codes until it gets to the above codes, then it loops them without restarting.

I actually believe the order its generating them is like this: de ad a2 21 12 33, loop... if that helps. I seem to remember before it loops back to de that there were other codes before the first de loop.

On 1.50, I can't say I watched the entire boot code pattern, but I'm relatively sure 99 is the last one I see before a successful boot.

I do have my SATA drive in M2_1, and my NVMe drives in M2_2 and M2_3 (because I might switch to a U2 drive later, and the manual says M2_1 is disabled if using a U2 drive).

I'll check on Wednesday if removing the SATA drive (or changing it to port M2_3 like free-eagle says) lets it boot on 1.70.

Edited by jackfrost - 24 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm
jackfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:20am
I didn't get a chance to check out the the sata ssd in the M2_3 slot, but I can confirm that simply removing the sata ssd from the M2_1 slot allowed 1.70 to boot.
jackfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 5:09am
Switching the NVMe ssd in M2_3 and the SATA ssd in M2_1 does result in a bootable system with 1.70... but it seems to be somewhat unstable.

The first boot after the ssd switch failed to show anything on the screen, with the debug display showing either 94 or a4 (I forget).

The second (and third) boots worked fine, except the NVMe ssd in M2_1 doesn't show up, and the debug display continues to say a6 even though the screen/bios is responsive.

At this point I'm going to put a cheapish 1tb intel 600p nvme drive in instead of the 1tb sata drive, and call it a day... 

I'd like to actually use the new system I built instead of leaving it on my desk opened forever, lol.
wolrah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:58am
I am having issues as explained by many of you.

X399 Taichi, 1950x, 64GB Ram  (4x16GB)

RAM= G Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3200C14-16GTZR  (FYI: ram seems to be stable with XMP enabled at 3200)

Board is at 1.70, has been since I built it 3-4 weeks ago.  I setup the system with Win10 on a single M.2 in slot 3.  Using onboard RAID for some SATA drives.

When I was setting up drives, I installed 2 cheapish 128GB drives I had laying around, with the intent to get 2 matching M.2 drives a later date (when my wallet stopped crying).  The system would not POST with any M.2 configuration other than Slot 3 alone... At the time I thought it was one of my low cost drives, so I just moved on.

Today saw the arrival of two brand-spank'n new M.2, 500GB Crucial SSDs.  The plan was to RAID0 for my OS drive.  Popped the drives into slot 1 and 2 and booted up to the same code loop:
DE, AD, A2, 21, 12, 33
I can not get into BIOS.

Install ONE drive into slot 3, no problem, any unit.
My present 128GB drive no problem windows boots.
Install either one of the new modules, no problem  (obviously no OS installed, but it will POST, BIOS sees the disk and lists the make/model)

I have pulled the ol' BIOS reset... no change.
I have un-plugged the SATA drives, no change.

I have tried every combination of M.2 modules in every available slot, no change.
System does not seem to care about the exact M.2 plugged in, just where (i.e. ONLY M.2_3!!!)

ASRock, please support,  I can post details where needed.

X399 Taichi, 1950x, 64GB GskillRGB, 980 Ti, Storage = WIP
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:36am
wolrah, this is a user forum and the chances of seeing an ASRock technical support person is very slim.  Here is a link to the debug codes:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
Those look like normal boot sequence codes.  Have you tried plugging your working W10 System SSD into one of the other M.2 sockets.  If that works, then I would suggest you plug each of your new drives into Slot-3, one at a time, and initialize them GPT and format them.  Then try all three plugged at once.  In any case please open a ticket with ASRock Support and report what is going on, so you can get ready for a RMA is needed.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic