ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350Pro4 - Bad PCIEx16 slot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350Pro4 - Bad PCIEx16 slot
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:09am
Hello all,

I have been banging my head to find the root cause of the audio stutters, fps drops, freezes on my new PC build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxMqFd). The mouse pointer also lags even when pc is idle. I am not sure if the PCIE2 slot is bad or if the PCI-e controller in CPU is bad.

This lag/stutter happens ONLY when the GPU is seated in the PCI-E 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x16 mode) slot. When I re-seat the GPU into PCIe 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE4: x4 mode), the lag/stutter go away and gaming is smooth.

Below are the things that I tried to find root cause when GPU is in PCI-E 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x16 mode) slot

When LatencyMon is ran when PC is normal, the ISR and DPC numbers (nearly 25000µs) are high. Results are below. I have tried everything possible solution provided on the internet to fix dpc/latency issue but nothing fixed my problem.

LatencyMon results in Imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/11fme

Things I have tried:

1. Windows 10 reinstall and disabled driver auto update
2. DDU nvidia drivers and reinstall only GPU driver (didnt install HD audio driver or anything else)
3. Install Ethernet driver from mobo vendor & install latest ethernet driver from manufacturer
4. Tried installing Realtek audio driver 
4. Disable HD audio driver from device manager and disabled HD audio from bios
5. Disable C-states from bios
6. Disable HPET from bios
7. Set gpu and system at max performance
8. Set dynamic tick command (cant remember the command)
9. GPU and CPU temps are normal ~80c and ~45C under high load respectively.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:29am
NightKing, please post your system specifications as I have in my signature.  Make sure you have DLed your chip set drivers from AMD:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Make sure your BIOS is up to date and do a "Load UEFI Defaults" (F9).  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
NightKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:25am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

NightKing, please post your system specifications as I have in my signature.  Make sure you have DLed your chip set drivers from AMD:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Make sure your BIOS is up to date and do a "Load UEFI Defaults" (F9).  Enjoy, John.

MisterJ,

Updated my signature with specs. I have DL'ed latest chipset drivers from AMD and latest P3.20 bios but that didnt solve the stutters.

I also tried loading with UEFI defaults .. that didnt help too.

Thanks for taking time to respond. Smile

Edited by NightKing - 11 Oct 2017 at 3:26am
AB350 Pro4, Ryzen 5 1600, Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD, G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GVRB, Win 10 x64 Home, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB G1, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold , BIOS 3.20
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:56am
How old is the G2 PSU?

550w, IMO, is low for using a 1080.

Install a voltage monitoring app to track and record voltages.
NightKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:00am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

How old is the G2 PSU?

550w, IMO, is low for using a 1080.

Install a voltage monitoring app to track and record voltages.

Everything in my rig is brand new (<60 days old).

I used PCPartpicker to see the compatibility & power usage. 

I'll install and check the voltage monitoring just to eliminate that PSU isnt a problem here.
AB350 Pro4, Ryzen 5 1600, Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD, G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GVRB, Win 10 x64 Home, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB G1, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold , BIOS 3.20
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:34am
NightKing, PartPicker has left several people here with insufficient power supplies.  I hope you can get your money back and get a more stout and modern PS.  It looks like to me it does not have 4-pin CPU power.  I suggest you get at least 650 Watt supply that has an 8-pin (or 4+4) CPU power and a 4-pin CPU power.  Using the peripheral cable for the CPU will probably not cut it.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Thanks for the system specifications - very helpful!

Edited by MisterJ - 11 Oct 2017 at 4:34am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
NightKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:54am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

NightKing, PartPicker has left several people here with insufficient power supplies.  I hope you can get your money back and get a more stout and modern PS.  It looks like to me it does not have 4-pin CPU power.  I suggest you get at least 650 Watt supply that has an 8-pin (or 4+4) CPU power and a 4-pin CPU power.  Using the peripheral cable for the CPU will probably not cut it.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Thanks for the system specifications - very helpful!

MisterJ, I am noob when it comes to PSUs.. the G2 550W has 1 x 8-Pin (4+4) EPS (CPU) connector. More info here. I am not using a peripheral cable to connect to CPU.

Moreover, if there's no sufficient power to the system then I would have experienced the same lag/stutter even when the GPU is inserted in PCIE4 slot but that's not the case.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 6:18am
The slots are routed differently and a whole load of other very technical differences I won't get into. The power regulation to the PCIE4 slot may be more accommodating of an under-powered PSU. My point is that the lack of stutter is not an indication that power isn't the issue. For a start the PCIE4 slot is only wired as x4 not x16 so the GPU is pulling less bandwidth and likely using less power as a result. It stands to reason x4 draws less power than x16. 

An older model 550w PSU (old model but new I am getting from your post) is certainly not sufficient for a GTX 1080, especially not Gigabyte's G1 Gaming version which features much beefier power circuitry than reference models. Even if the PSU proves not to be the issue you will be doing yourself a favor getting a higher rated one, that 550 will eventually blow up on you and could potentially take out half your system with it. It isn't just a matter of "can it handle it?" it is a matter of prolonged load over the unit's optimum power delivery range.

If you need further proof, or possibly disprove our theory, check the air temp of the exhaust coming out the back of your PSU when gaming under load, if it is hot and the fan is spinning up at high RPMs then the PSU is under powered. No PSU should ever ramp up the fan RPMs to near max and still be blowing hot air. 

I hope this helps.
NightKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The slots are routed differently and a whole load of other very technical differences I won't get into. The power regulation to the PCIE4 slot may be more accommodating of an under-powered PSU. My point is that the lack of stutter is not an indication that power isn't the issue. For a start the PCIE4 slot is only wired as x4 not x16 so the GPU is pulling less bandwidth and likely using less power as a result. It stands to reason x4 draws less power than x16. 

An older model 550w PSU (old model but new I am getting from your post) is certainly not sufficient for a GTX 1080, especially not Gigabyte's G1 Gaming version which features much beefier power circuitry than reference models. Even if the PSU proves not to be the issue you will be doing yourself a favor getting a higher rated one, that 550 will eventually blow up on you and could potentially take out half your system with it. It isn't just a matter of "can it handle it?" it is a matter of prolonged load over the unit's optimum power delivery range.

If you need further proof, or possibly disprove our theory, check the air temp of the exhaust coming out the back of your PSU when gaming under load, if it is hot and the fan is spinning up at high RPMs then the PSU is under powered. No PSU should ever ramp up the fan RPMs to near max and still be blowing hot air. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks for detailed explanation Xaltar. My room gets hot when GPU is on full load, so you are correct that my PSU is underpowered! . I cant return my existing 550w PSU as its > 30 days Cry. What I can do is.. test it out with a new model of 850W PSU and see if that fixes my problem. If a new 850W pSU doesnt fix the stutter, i'll return it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 6:31am
Good luck Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic