ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGESA 1.0.0.7 incoming !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGESA 1.0.0.7 incoming !
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:14pm
"AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it."

-via Guru3D-

Edited by Rares - 16 Oct 2017 at 5:39pm
X370 Gaming K4 / Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725 / G.Skill FlareX 14-14-14-14-34 @ 3200 XMP / Sapphire Nitro RX480 / SSD x 3
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:51pm
So means Threadripper will be left without the update as it is mainly targeting AM4 platform?
Pity as the memory compatibility on the X399 is far from perfect...
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

So means Threadripper will be left without the update as it is mainly targeting AM4 platform?

can you share the original link that announces this?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
Nothing about AGESA 1.0.0.7 in AMD's blog posts yet, where they have had information about AGESA updates in the past.

Originally posted by Rares Rares wrote:

"AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it."

-via Guru3D-

This sounds both good and bad, with too much potential for bad, at least in the short term. ASSUMING that it is true!

I'll look into this more later, soon.

Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

A bit early to be lamenting TR being left out of the party, don't you think? Plus Ryzen users get to be the Beta testers of the new AGESA version, again assuming this is true. Also, given what the main intended purpose of this update is, which does not apply to TR at all, what is TR missing? Why do we think every AGESA update automatically includes fixes to issues we may be having?

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:21pm
I hope all of you will take a look at my latest response from AMD concerning TR and AGESA:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6271&KW=agesa&PID=37940&title=amd-response-to-agesa-bios-query#37940

Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Google sees many references:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-preps-agesa-1-7-firmware-to-support-raven-ridge-apus.html

Edited by MisterJ - 16 Oct 2017 at 11:33pm
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:06am
Saw the reply from AMD in your thread John/MisterJ. Thanks for that... However I am still not fully satisfied ;-)

Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

can you share the original link that announces this?

The changes we know of are meant for Raven Ridge APUs and Pinnacle Ridge = AM4.
Since there was no word of TR4/SR4 (and thanks to John we know that AM4 AGESA is not shared with TR4/SR4) this is my (personal) assumption.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A bit early to be lamenting TR being left out of the party, don't you think? Plus Ryzen users get to be the Beta testers of the new AGESA version, again assuming this is true. Also, given what the main intended purpose of this update is, which does not apply to TR at all, what is TR missing? Why do we think every AGESA update automatically includes fixes to issues we may be having?

I am not lamenting... I would "just" want the same memory compatibility level the AM4-users are getting & be happy with that.
Since the whole PR circles around on mentioning that Threadripper is the "Crème de la Crème" of all the RyZEN selects, is it really that bad for me to assume/request that it would perform _at least_ on par with the AM4 platform?

On par for me beeing -- 4 Samsung B-Die 16GB DS Sticks running with full 3200 CL14 speed (Ripjaws V 64GB "red" set).
I enjoy it on the X370 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming since beta AGESA 1.0.0.6 (and it was 2 Months after RyZEN launched)
On X399 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming I have the same set on 2933 stable. 
Anything above it - goes into bootloop. (3066 is not stable with some booting problems/BSODs after a few hours).
And yes --- I have played A LOT with the ASRock UEFI and all the advanced settings...
And by all means == I would be more than happy to play the beta-tester... 

Would be kinda nice for AMD to give some information/insights on what to expect also from the X399 platform... at least being marketed as "premium".

Edited by SoniC - 17 Oct 2017 at 1:11am
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:55am
Wondering how much of the memory compatibility that AMD has learned on the Ryzen platform can or will be applied to the x399 Threadripper. Also does threadripper also have the lower clocks on the memory when all 8 dimms are fully populated cause Ill be investing about 3k in a month or so to be fully decked out to 128 gb.
TraxXavier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraxXavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:28pm
I am also going to get a 16 core 128GB machine soon, can people here confirm that with the 1.80 bios the 128 GB of ram will work fine?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

Wondering how much of the memory compatibility that AMD has learned on the Ryzen platform can or will be applied to the x399 Threadripper. Also does threadripper also have the lower clocks on the memory when all 8 dimms are fully populated cause Ill be investing about 3k in a month or so to be fully decked out to 128 gb.

High memory over clocks are always more difficult to achieve as the capacity of memory used increases. That is simply basic PC memory reality and applies to both AMD and Intel. You can see that in any memory QVL/Support list. The highest memory over clocks are only available with one DIMM per channel, and the capacity of the DIMMs at the highest speeds are reduced compared to lower speed over clocks.

Memory over clocks basically depend on three things, the capability of the processor's IMC, the layout of the DIMM slots on a mother board, and the model of memory being used. The model of memory depends upon the memory chips being used, the extent of the binning of the memory chips, and if the memory is sold (purchased) in a matched set. The programming for the memory in the UEFI/BIOS is also very important, but cannot compensate for the limitations of the other three things.

The greater load on the IMC with more memory makes it more difficult for the memory controller to work at higher speeds. We can increase the voltage(s) used by the memory controller, but that has limits, and the IMC also is affected by the "silicon lottery" affect.

The more memory slots being used, the more interference between the signal traces on the board occurs, and it is more challenging to layout the memory signal traces. Trying to keep the signal traces all the same length or as close as possible matters, due to the very high frequencies involved.

How is that done with four memory channels, and two memory slots per channel? The slots closer to the CPU have their trace lengths increased to match more closely with the slots further away. But that also reduces the speed potential of the closer slots. Balancing one trade-off for another is difficult engineering.

Do we see memory over clocking on very high capacity enterprise mother boards? No because higher speeds and stability cannot be guaranteed with very high capacities. Guaranteed being the keyword there.

With the price of DDR4 memory of any capacity being ridiculous currently, high capacity kits (64GB+) at high rated over clocks are priced beyond ridiculous levels. So to purchase 128GB of memory, we buy two 64GB kits, or possibly four 32GB kits. We take the chance of using unmatched DIMMs in multiple kits. The results can be disappointing.

Using 128GB of memory in X399 systems has been problematic for many users, using boards made by any manufacture. Keep in mind that the responsibility for the ability to use 128GB of memory is shared by all the involved parties, not just the mother board manufacture.
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:54am
UPDATE : 
ASUS has released first UEFIs with AGESA 1.0.7.1

Rough translation (short version): 
these are for AM4 mainboards (as I've assumed earlier) and are going to the top of the line Mainboards later on - as they include some additional OC features, they need presumably also more time.
But AGESA 1.0.7.1 is close.
In the changelog they only mention support for new processors (Raven Ridge).
Plus -- this version also contains a cold boot bug fix -- where memory was set to 1.2V only (at boot) thus boot-looping in some cases.  

I hope that this feature will also come to ASRock and TR4 platform (mainly cold boot fix).
Here the post on the overclockers forum>

Edited by SoniC - 21 Nov 2017 at 1:56am
-=SoniC=-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic