ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi & 960 EVO M.2 Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 2:20am
ManannanMacLir, exactly what version (32/64 bit and version number) of W10 are you trying to install and where did the install media come from?  It would be best, in my opinion, for you to post your specifications in your signature as I have - always automatically in every post.  As near as I can tell, the M.2 SDD is your only drive besides the USB - correct?  So, please use F11 to boot to the Boot Device menu, select the UEFI version of the USB and boot it.  When you get to the select the install device, select your M.2, delete all partitions, then click FORMAT (GPT).  Proceed with the install.  It should work with no problems.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
ManannanMacLir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManannanMacLir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:52am
I am installing a legitimate(paid for) copy of Windows 10 64 Bit Home. I created the Installation Media on a Flash Drive via the Tool provided by Microsoft.

I can delete all partitions, which just leaves the drive, however  the "format" option is greyed out when I select it. 

If I create a new Partition, Windows automatically creates several(MSR, System, Recovery, Primary). However I then get a new error  

" Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Below this I get the following error.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Now if I delete all partitions at this point  and restart the system, I am able to install Windows. However once installation is complete and asks to restart, it simply loops back to the beginning of Installing Windows.
X370 Taichi + Ryzen 1700 + GTX 970 + 960 EVO M.2 + G.Skill 3200 RGB + Thermaltake 850W Gold + Windows 10, 64 bit Home (legitimate copy)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:45am
Thanks, ManannanMacLir.  I am using the MS Media Creation tool to DL a copy (ISO) of the latest version of W10 (1709).  I assume this is what you used to create a USB image - correct?  Sorry if I implied you might have an illegal copy of W10.  The three partitions created are normal.  Right now, I do not understand the "can't install on a GPT" partition message.  When you created the USB stick from the DLed file were you asked to create a UEFI USB?  Did you boot the UEFI tagged USB stick on the Boot Device Menu?  My DL is complete and I will do some analysis soon.  I will go into my BIOS and get a screenshot of my Boot device Menu and post it.  Hang in there and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Boot the one in Yellow:

Edited by MisterJ - 21 Oct 2017 at 4:54am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManannanMacLir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:01am
No thank you, MisterJ. I appreciate the help.

I used Microsoft's "MediaCreationTool.exe." Selecting the "USB Flash Drive" option I created an install file on the USB. I don't recall whether it asked specifically to create a UEFI USB.

I was booting from said UEFI USB when attempting to install. 

What confuses me is Windows states that it installs just fine on the 960, but will not boot to the 960 after installation. Windows disk manager detects the 960(when I hook up my 850 that already has windows on it), BIOS detects the 960. However Samsung Magician oddly enough will not recognize the 960.

The USB itself is in FAT32 Format, I don't know if that makes a difference. 
X370 Taichi + Ryzen 1700 + GTX 970 + 960 EVO M.2 + G.Skill 3200 RGB + Thermaltake 850W Gold + Windows 10, 64 bit Home (legitimate copy)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManannanMacLir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:02am
Re-creating a Windows 10 install Flash drive as we speak.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:37am
ManannanMacLir, I just created a USB stick and was asked nothing.  Mine is a FAT32 also.  I think the USB stick is fine.  Did you see my screenshot of the Boot Device Menu?  Your USB stick will show up twice.  Be sure to boot the one with UEFI in front as in my screenshot.  Make sure the 850 is not plugged into your system.  Please post a screenshot of your Boot Device Menu.  Plug a FAT formatted USB stick into your system and boot using F11.  Just using the install USB you are creating will work fine.  You do not need a second stick.  You will get a file like 171020154709.BMP stored on the stick.  Please post it here.  I am off for a while.  Go ahead a try your install again.  I'll check back soon.  Enjoy, John.
rbarker31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarker31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 5:48am
What ended up fixing it?  I'm getting ready to load win10 on a X370 w/ PM961 and this is good info. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by rbarker31 rbarker31 wrote:

What ended up fixing it?  I'm getting ready to load win10 on a X370 w/ PM961 and this is good info. 

I find that pre-formatting the 960 EVO (or any drive) is part of the problem.

It's better to let the WIndows installer format the SSD. To do that, choose the Custom Installation option offered early in the installation process. That screen will show any partitions currently on the drive. Delete all of them. Then find the "New" button in the lower right corner of the screen, click it, click Ok on the next prompt, and Windows formats the SSD for UEFI booting. There are really four partitions created on the drive, if only three are shown. Most programs won't show all four, Disk Management won't for example.

Selecting the "UEFI:<device name>" entry for the USB flash drive (FAT32 formatted) is essential for an NVMe SSE.

Some people have problems when they use the Media Creation Tool to write the ISO to the USB flash drive. I don't use that option, I just save the ISO file at the end of the Media Creation Tool process. I then mount the ISO file manually and select "Send to...." to USB flash drive. Takes a few minutes, but that's it besides unmounting the ISO files when the ISO write is done.

These steps always work for me for installing Windows in UEFI booting mode, which can be done on any SSD, including SATA SSDs.

kaoticspeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaoticspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
I tried this method, i can get it to install the files. but once i reboot and remove the usb drive it gives the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" when i go into boot bios i can see the samsung 960 evo drive. but no Windows boot. when i boot with another raid hd. i can see the windows file in the NVME m.2 drive. any idea how to get it booting? computer sees it, just doesn't boot it..
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 2:13am
Did anyone consider Rufus and a plain .ISO from M$?

For GPT I believe you should have CSM disabled, and possibly - SecureBoot enabled.

Latest BIOS and frequent CMOS resets are always a must!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic