ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Button Cable Location on Motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Button Cable Location on Motherboard
    Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:26pm
On the Asrock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac I want to make sure that I connect the Reset and Power Button to the correct jumpers on the motherboard. The Powerbutton cable doesn't appear to have a Plus and Minus side to the cable. When connecting the cable to the motherboard, should the cable be straddled top and bottom or right and left? Same question for the Reset cable should it be connected top and bottom or right and left on the motherboard?

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:40pm
to be technical

it dosnt matter on power or resets

all they do is make the circuit when pressed

the plus and minus matter on the led connectors though as they are diodes and thus wont work the wrong way round

as for which ground to use

follow the orientation of the leds already inserted eg along the row not crossing the row(it dosnt matter really but looks neater)

and the odd pin on the end a ground can be ignored
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wussery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 12:54am
Just to be clear here. There are two rows and five columns. Should I place the power and reset buttons cables on columns 4 and 5 respectively and NOT across pins in the same row.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:19am

The pins boxed in red are where the power switch connects. The reset switch connects to the pins to the right and up one pin, directly under the SATA port. Beneath the power switch (in the image) is where the power LED connects and directly to the right of it is the HDD activity LED connector. There should be a gap of 1 pin between the reset switch and the HDD activity LED.

I hope that makes things clear, it is all marked on the board but it's hard to read given the black on black text.

Edited by Xaltar - 24 Nov 2017 at 1:22am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:25am
Oh and if there is label text on your connectors, the label side always faces to the right (referencing the image). This only matters for the LEDs, they will not light up if the polarity is wrong. For the switches, as datonyb stated, there is no polarity so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Xaltar - 24 Nov 2017 at 1:25am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:40am
Originally posted by wussery wussery wrote:

Just to be clear here. There are two rows and five columns. Should I place the power and reset buttons cables on columns 4 and 5 respectively and NOT across pins in the same row.

looking at the picture and the motherboard manual
its two columns and 5 rows Tongue
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wussery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:04am
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm waiting for a board replacement and will ensure that my pins are connected per your instructions. I wish the manual was a bit clearer on this.
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
I find as a general rule that MB header cables that form the earth/ground/negative are either white or carry a white stripe..
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
wussery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:28am

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The pins boxed in red are where the power switch connects. The reset switch connects to the pins to the right and up one pin, directly under the SATA port. Beneath the power switch (in the image) is where the power LED connects and directly to the right of it is the HDD activity LED connector. There should be a gap of 1 pin between the reset switch and the HDD activity LED.

I hope that makes things clear, it is all marked on the board but it's hard to read given the black on black text.

The diagram above that is shown in red appears to be in conflict with the documentation on page 29 of the manual. I would bet that the placement of my header cables is the root cause of all of the issues that I have been having with this computer build. I am currently dealing with a power recycle  issue that may be related to the bumbling that I appear to be doing with these header cables.

The "pins boxed in red are where the power switch connects." There are two ground connections in one column (5 possible connections) and one ground connection in the other column (4 possible connections).

The power switch looks like it can be connected within the same column as the diagram above describes or it can be connected across two columns. What is NOT clear is what ground connection is left OPEN. The documentation on pg. 29 does not clearly spell out where the reset and power cables go as there is no plus or minus designation on these cables.

Believe me I'm not trying to be difficult here, but just trying to get clarification on a build that I should have had completed over a week ago.

Edited by wussery - 01 Dec 2017 at 11:38am
MOBO: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC
PSU: EVGA 750 B3
Cooler: Cryorig C7
Boot Disk: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256GB SSD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:09pm
Your confusion is understandable, since the system panel header is usually oriented the long way horizontally, rather than vertically as it is on an ITX board.

Picture from the manual:

For this board, the power button connector from the PC chassis is connected to the two pins you have circled in red, above in your picture. That is, the GND (ground) pin for the PWRBTN pin is directly above it.

NONE of the connectors from the PC case should be connected with their two pins horizontally on this header, they should all be connected vertically.

The ground or negative (-) pins for each of the four connections is the negative/- pin directly above each type of connection.

The PLED and HDLED + and - connections are oriented vertically in the picture. It would be inconsistent to then have the PWRBTN and RESET connections oriented horizontally on this connector. Which is why they aren't oriented horizontally.

Regarding which wire from the PC case is + or -/ground, that depends upon the PC case manufacture. Some PC cases put a + and - on the plastic connector itself. Others color code the wires, as said above. It is true that the negative/ground wire will normally have a while line or white dashes on it. If that is not the situation with your PC case, that is beyond the control of a mother board manufacture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic