ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 taichi & storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:53am
Thanks, Pape.  How about the CSM setting?  Enjoy, John.

Edited by MisterJ - 28 Nov 2017 at 4:47am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 8:31am
Oups forgot to include the detail about cms.
It get set properly when i enable raid. Did check it the first couples time.

I have to say this bios is not user friendly at all.
Wish asrock included more detail in the description
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
parsec, where did you learn this?
Quote Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399...

Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:50am
So i got the lsi going but no dice.
Each time i enable raidxpert 2 all boot device go away including the lsi.installing windows while in this mode is imposible on the lsi also, same issue as raidxpert2.

Interesting the lsi switch from legacy to uefi and become available inside the bios just below raidxpert2.

Edited by Pape - 27 Nov 2017 at 10:06am
Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
So found the issue.
Need to use the uefi windows boot.
By default the bios will boot the legacy version of the windows install.
Need to do f11 and select the uefi partition of windows.

Edited by Pape - 27 Nov 2017 at 10:40am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

parsec, where did you learn this?
Quote Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399...

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Why wouldn't it be? Booting an OS from a SATA RAID array is hardly exotic or new.

The AMD RAID Installation Guide (the file download is called English.pdf) on either of ASRock's X399 board's Manual page describes the creation of a SATA or NVMe drive RAID array, and includes the steps to install Windows 10 on either type of RAID array.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X399%20Taichi/English.pdf

The description for X399 boards (also applies to Ryzen X370, B350, and A320 chipset boards) begins on page 11. I have never seen any documentation that states RAID arrays cannot be used as the OS drive on Ryzen or X399. That would be quite a mistake by AMD if that was the case.

On my Ryzen PC, not using an AMD RAID array as the OS drive, my RAID data drive only has two Device Manager entries under Storage Controllers for the RAID Bottom and RAID Controller devices, but not a third one as you brought to my attention. It seems the "RAID Config Device" device/driver is necessary when the RAID array is used as the OS drive. I'm not working with an X399 system unfortunately, just my experience with AMD RAID with my Ryzen PC, and the available documentation.

The guide describes loading the three drivers during the Windows installation in three specific steps. The drivers in the AMD64 folder must be used for Windows 10 64 bit. The AMD RAID Bottom device driver is loaded first, then the AMD RAID Controller storport driver is second, and the AMD RAID Config Device driver last. I would use this order of driver installation at all times, just in case.

The guide states that configuring the CSM option is not necessary when using SATA RAID arrays as the OS drive. That only applies to NVMe SSDs. But then we see the title of the section for X399 calling in a "UEFI RAID Configuration..." on page 11. It won't hurt anything to configure the CSM option as you have done previously.

Pape, question for you, how did you create the USB installation drive? Some people have problems with the USB flash drives created with the Media Creation Tool. Normally that happens when the CSM option is configured for UEFI booting.

Did you ever check the boot order when booting from the USB installation drive? You may find there are two entries in the boot order, one with the prefix "UEFI:", and another with prefix "RAID:". Usually the "UEFI:" entry is first in the boot order. Just be sure it is the first entry, since that will cause the UEFI boot loader to be used. You could try the "RAID:" entry which would cause a Legacy type installation, but the confusion in the manual may only apply for NVMe SSDs.

Given all the attempts you have done with your drives, when you try again I would create the RAID 0 array over again, deleting it first to be sure the drives are clean.

Edited by parsec - 27 Nov 2017 at 11:23am
Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:31am
That is the thing, boot order was bios than uefi.
When the LSI became uefi I realised my storage was now uefi and I needed to make my installation in accordance.

I tryed to disable uefi storage under csm but this moved the raidxpert2 outside of the bios and did not notice any configuration promp will look at it more tomorrow as I'm not ready yet to jump in the win10 bandwagon.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:47am
parsec, I agree with you, but only via an implication.  There are no such explicit words that a SATA RAID can be used as a boot device.  I also cannot find
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The guide states that configuring the CSM option is not necessary when using SATA RAID arrays as the OS drive.

Originally posted by Pape Pape wrote:

...as I'm not ready yet to jump in the win10 bandwagon...
Are you not running W10 as you stated earlier?
In the AMD Gaming Blog the instructions include this:

Q: Is your NVMe RAID solution bootable?

A: Yes. Create the RAID array with the RAID management menu(s) in your BIOS, then proceed with Windows installation. Please ensure that your system is in pure UEFI mode by installing Windows with Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in your BIOS. You will also need the NVMe RAID driver on a flash drive, as the Windows installer will ask for it before your array can be detected.

My bottom line is the AMD X399 RAID is a big mess.  I am at a loss to give Pape reasonable instructions of how to proceed.  I do strongly recommend that you (Pape) open an ASRock ticket and ask if  a SATA RAID can be used for a boot device and if so to please be provided instructions of how to do it.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:28am
Easier to troubleshoot using a supported OS.
Do i want to run win 10 every day, not if i can avoid it.

Edited by Pape - 28 Nov 2017 at 7:29am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 9:55am
Interesting, Pape.  You still do not say what OS you ARE running, but I infer it is NOT W10.  There is a true incongruence here:

I received this in response to a ticket I opened - all explained here:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6072&KW=rs2&PID=36668&title=resolved-by-tsd1950x-will-not-boot-media-comp#36668
The image is saying that Threadripper supports W10 RS2 64 bit ONLY.   In my users manual and probably yours:

Quote OS ??Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit
* Windows® 10 RS2 is supported.
* For the updated Windows® 10 driver, please visit ASRock?™s
website for details: http://www.asrock.com

Please display all your system specifications including OS and post them in your signature so we can see them on all your posts.  Enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic