ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 taichi & storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 taichi & storage
    Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
Hi,

Building a new X399 taichi and run in a snag.
Created a sata raid 0 out of 2 drives. The newly created volume does not show up in the boot option and windows will not install on the raid volume complaining about none bootable device.
Boot on sata raid is supported on x399 bios 1.80 ?

Thanks
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
Pape, did you follow the instructions beginning on page 11 of the RAID Installation Guide?
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf
This implies, at least to me, yes.
Quote E. (This step is only for NVMe RAID on X399 chipset): Go to Advanced, AMD PBS and set NVMe RAID mode¨ to <Enabled >. Then click <F10> to save to exit.

But it certainly does not say boot.  It may just be saying a SATA RAID can be created.  The information available for RAID is very poor.  I recommend you open an ASRock Support Ticket and ask them.  Please let us know what you learn.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Pape Pape wrote:

Hi,

Building a new X399 taichi and run in a snag.
Created a sata raid 0 out of 2 drives. The newly created volume does not show up in the boot option and windows will not install on the raid volume complaining about none bootable device.
Boot on sata raid is supported on x399 bios 1.80 ?

Thanks

What version of Windows are you using?

Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399, the problem is Windows does not have a compatible built in AMD RAID driver for X399/TR to use during the installation.

Even Windows 10 does not have a built in AMD RAID driver for Ryzen/AM4. You must load the AMD X399 RAID driver during the Windows 10 installation, using the Custom installation option. The new AMD X399 RAID that also supports NVMe RAID is so new that Windows does not have its own copy for use during an installation. Who knows when MSoft will include these AMD RAID drivers.

The AMD X399 RAID drivers (there are two you must install) are in the SATA Floppy Image ver:9.0.0.88 download file on your board's download page. You must use that version since you have the 1.80 UEFI version installed:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Download

The "Floppy" terminology is a hold over from the days of using floppy disks, and Intel still uses that terminology too. You need to have the two RAID drivers on a USB flash drive that will be read when you use the Load Driver option in the Custom Windows 10 installation.

There are two drivers you must install in that download file, the rcbottom and rcraid driver. All of the files in the RS2x64 folder must be on the USB flash drive. In Windows in Device Manager, after the Windows installation, there will be two entries in Storage Controllers, one for each driver.

Are you familiar with loading the drivers during a Windows installation? Be sure to read the AMD RAID documentation in the manual from your board's download page. Be sure to ONLY use the section for the X399 chipset, the manual covers both Ryzen and X399 systems:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Manual

Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:23am
Thanks for the infos and reply.

I did use the F6 drivers from Asrock drivers section.
The drivers must be loaded in 2 separate actions. Windows does see the raid partition but refuse to install on it. When I do refresh there a comment below the drive selection windows indicating this drive cannot be use as it is not bootable.

Also juste enabled raid again to create a D drive out of my remaing sata disk and even if i leave my c drive un-raided it disapear from the boot options in the bios.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Pape Pape wrote:

Thanks for the infos and reply.

I did use the F6 drivers from Asrock drivers section.
The drivers must be loaded in 2 separate actions. Windows does see the raid partition but refuse to install on it. When I do refresh there a comment below the drive selection windows indicating this drive cannot be use as it is not bootable.

Also juste enabled raid again to create a D drive out of my remaing sata disk and even if i leave my c drive un-raided it disapear from the boot options in the bios.

Sorry but very little information given, so all I have is more questions. We don't know what version of Windows you are using.

Depending upon the version of Windows 10 (??) you are using, there is a bug with earlier, RS1 versions when used with X399. You must set the IOMMU option in the UEFI/BIOS to disabled. This may NOT be the only problem you are having, but applies whether or not you are using a RAID array as the OS drive.

After loading the F6 drivers, did you partition/format the RAID 0 array by clicking the New button in the Custom install screen? Creating the RAID array does not partition or format the RAID volume at all in a way that is usable by Windows.

When you enabled RAID (again? Please explain that, do you mean in both screens as suggested above?) did you Save and Exit the UEFI/BIOS, and then go right back into the UEFI? You must do that to apply the RAID setting.

Which drive disappeared from the boot order, the original (two) drives for the RAID 0 array? If you deleted that RAID 0 array (I'm guessing?) it is not formatted and I would not expect it to be shown in the boot order without any partitions or formatting. If you check the Storage Configuration screen, are the two drives shown there?

Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:21pm
I can understand the more questions part

Here are my steps
1) storage configuration -?‹sata mode raid
2) save and quit
3) go under raidxpert2
4) array management -??delete all array
5) create new array
A) raid level 0
B) select my 4 sata disk
6) create array
7) save and reboot
Note) note boot device in bios
8) boot on my usb stick containing win 10
Note) created the usb stick from the MS windows 10 download today.
9) select advance install
10) select load driver
11)load driver amd-raid bottom device (rcbottom.inf)
Note) the driver show twice in the select driver to install using the top one
12) once loaded returned to where do you want to install windows, no drive available for install
13) select load driver
14) selecting amd-raid conrroller storport (rcraid.inf)
15) drive is now available
Note) there is a yellow triangle with a ! : windows can't be installed on this drive. (Show details)

Details:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

Even if I create a partition and format the partition the message stay the same and i cannot continue the installation.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
Pape, we need much more information.  Please post your specifications as I have in my signature.  Include your OS (if W10, 1607,1703 or 1709, 64 bit).  Also tell us how you created your RAID - BIOS or Windows.  Is you RAID usable-just can't install on it.  Please give us the error message.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:18am
Pape, I see two things to try.  It looks like you did not do Step F. on page 11.
Quote F. Go to Boot CSM and set "Launch Storage OpROM policy" to <UEFI only>.

I also do not know why you and parsec are not loading all three drivers in the RAID driver package.
So, I recommend that you set CSM as requested and Load all three drivers.  I am not as mystified as a lot of people about drivers.  I strongly suspect if drivers are loaded and not needed, there is no problem.  When you get a minute, please look into "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository".  There are about a gazillion drivers in there that almost no one uses.  They just sit there using space until their VendorID/DeviceID is requested.  If you DLed W10 (Media Creation tool) recently, you should have 1709.16299), exactly what you want.  Please hit Windows key-R and type winver.  You will see an About window for Windows.  Enjoy, John.
Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:21am
As mentioned above: in bios.
I have a x399 taichi running a 1900
2 X F4-3200c14d-16gfx
Drives are samsung 850 evo and ocz vertex 4
The current win 10 pro from the download tool is dating from 9/27/2017 ver 1709

Pape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:38am
Did try to load the extra driver to no avail.
I got a idle lsi 9260 I'll try to set it as primary OS boot and see if i can successfully use a raid from the raidxpert2 as secondary drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic