ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New PC build - Screen black on start up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stov3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PC build - Screen black on start up
    Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:10am
Problem:
When I power on the PC GPU fans spin I see Motherboard Logo, after a few seconds the screen goes black & monitor gives the no signal message on the screen.

Back Story:
Upgrades the Motherboard, CPU & Ram, Used previous PSU & GPU.  (However the PSU was used in another computer, so I have never used this PSU with this GPU - previous PSU was 360w, PSU worked fine in the second computer for a GTX 560Ti - the only difference being it used 2 x 6 pins where 970 used 6 pin and 8 pin, which I'm supplying a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin to GPU) 

Had problems with installing windows (due to USBs not working past BIOS, when I got to windows install screen no USBs work 2.0 or 3.0 - Could not find option in BIOS to enable Legacy drivers) on this computer so I used another computer to final windows on my SSD (then swapped it ower to current computer - specs below) Once SSD was installed, Windows 7 loaded up fine, used windows 10 upgrade tool, after restarting this problem occurred. I did not verify when running on Windows 7 if GPU fans were spinning (the DVI was plugged into the GPU DVI) & did not install video drivers before reformatting to Windows 10. I selected wipe the SSD as I did not want any problems since I had installed the OS on another system with different components. So it should have been a fresh install of Windows 10.

-I've tried to start the computer with the DVI plugged into motherboard DVI and no signal at all.
-I've tried to boot in safe mode with no success.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4
GPU: Asus GTX970
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
Ram: G.Skill 8gx2 2666Mhz
HD: 260gb SSD
PSU: 750w
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:34am
Stov3, I would suggest you enter BIOS, hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), then F10 (Save and Exit).  I do not understand the W7 to W10 upgrade tool you used.  Did you have to have a W10 key?  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Stov3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stov3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:37am
No, I did not have to use a Windows 10 key, I used a Windows 7 keys - Windows offers a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you use assistive technologies.

Link:

I ran the installer once windows 7 was booted up on the new build computer.

I'm currently at work so I can't try the fix at this time, but I will report back when I am able to (Thursday morning)

Thank you for your reply,
Steven
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:04am
OK, Stov3, I understand that process.  I am surprised that did not work.  You are welcome and perhaps others will have suggestions.  W10 should bring lots of drivers and I suspect that if you were seeing video on W7 that the GPU fans were running.  I'll look a little closer.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:17am
There is no iGPU on Ryzen CPUs so that explains there being no signal when connected to the motherboard DVI port. 

Let us know how resetting to defaults goes for you.
Stov3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stov3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 5:39am
Alright, I couldn't wait any longer to test so I went and picked the computer up. I reset those settings you suggested, saved and exited and the same problem reoccurred.

Steven
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:43am
Thanks, Stov3,  I hoped that would be a quick fix.  I recommend you install a fresh copy of W10.  Please use the W10 Media Creation tool to make a USB stick with the latest W10.  Boot the USB stick and install W10 where you want it, being sure to Format the volume first.  Please let us know how it goes.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic