ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 XMP bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Flode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:31pm
Hello and sorry me again,

i found out the the xmp profile on the 1.3 bios for extreme 4 board has set
vccio and vccsa way to high. was set to 1.2 and 1.25 by default xmp.

For me this was the reason why the system could not boot into windows and was unstable.

I have now set xmp profile for my ram (3200) and then manually lowered

vccio to 1.1V and vccsa to 1.15. Not the system is rock stable again ram running finally with xmp speeds corretly.

Maybe this is helping one or another of you guys.

Best regards

flode

Edited by Flode - 10 Dec 2017 at 7:37pm
Flode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 11:37pm
Same issue hear went so nuts i went out getting new ram today.
But didnt help at all. Both 16gb ram sets dont boot with xmp settings.
System is very unstable with bios 1.3. just flashed back to 1.22 working fine again.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by wojwen wojwen wrote:

I recently bought Z370 Extreme4 mobo and after upgrading the BIOS to 1.30 XMP stopped working properly. Windows would randomly freeze (almost always after stopping a CPU benchmark). Turning off XMP profile worked and I didn't experience any crashes after that. Later I downgraded BIOS to 1.22 and again turned on XMP. After the downgrade everything was fine so I'm sure there is an issue with the newest BIOS.

My specs: 
CPU
i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Extreme4
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Blue 1TB
PSU
Corsair RM650X
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro

This is the first report of this situation with your board and UEFI version, although it has only been available for a week.

While it might be an issue/bug, it is also possible that this occurs with your model of memory, but not others. That could still be a bug with your memory in particular.

You said that XMP stopped working, but what does enabling the XMP profile do? It applies a built in over clock of the memory speed, sets some of the memory timings as needed for that speed, and increases the DRAM voltage. When the XMP profile is not enabled, the memory is running at its stock, default speed which is easier on the memory controller.

What is really happening is your memory overclock seems to be causing Windows to freeze randomly after closing a CPU benchmark.

Yes, the previous UEFI version with XMP enabled did not seem to cause the freezing in Windows. Are you absolutely certain that the UEFI option settings you used between the previous and new UEFI versions are absolutely identical? Including manually set voltages? Any comparison between the two must be identical. Can you see any differences in the memory settings and memory related voltages between the two UEFI versions with the XMP profile enabled?

If you believe there is an issue, please file a support request with ASRock on this page, or via the support site for your region of the world:

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
talos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:20pm
Thanks for sharing!  I'm encountering a very similar issue with the following specs:  8700k/Z370 Extreme 4/GSKill TridentZ RGB 3200 14 CAS 2x8Gb/Gaming X Trio 1080 Ti/Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W.  The RAM shows the Extreme 4 on its QVL list.

I've tried every BIOS version, XMP/manual, bumping voltage to 1.4+, loosened timings; always crashes after a minute or two, guaranteed instant crash when stopping Prime95.  Sometimes it even locks up at POST.  If I drop the frequency down to 3000, however, it's completely stable.

Took the same sticks, put them in a 7600k/Z270 Extreme 4, and the XMP settings work perfectly at 3200, passing every "stop a benchmark" test I could throw at it with no trouble whatsoever.

I hope they address this soon, because I'm really wishing I'd gone with the Taichi or Gaming 7 at this point!
wojwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wojwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:05am
I recently bought Z370 Extreme4 mobo and after upgrading the BIOS to 1.30 XMP stopped working properly. Windows would randomly freeze (almost always after stopping a CPU benchmark). Turning off XMP profile worked and I didn't experience any crashes after that. Later I downgraded BIOS to 1.22 and again turned on XMP. After the downgrade everything was fine so I'm sure there is an issue with the newest BIOS.

My specs: 
CPU
i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Extreme4
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Blue 1TB
PSU