ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 XMP bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eballen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 11:17am
If you have issues trying to obtain stability, you could attempt to not only change the voltages, but to actually go into the timings and alter those to be closer to the xmp profile the ram suggests.

To figure out what this is, you can download AIDA64 and look at your ram timings, then google what each number on the ram timing means. Then look for those settings on the Extreme4 UEFI and alter them.

Doing so made me realize just how incorrect the timings are from what they're supposed to be. Especially the Trfc.

Anyway, fixing that seems to have properly stabilized my ram and got rid of weird quirks my PC had waking up from sleep.
villanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote villanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:18pm
Hi Guys

I wanted to change my vccio and vccsa settings to the value that Flode posted,can someone explain how I go about this on the AsRcok extreme 4 please?

Vccio and vccsa are greyed out for me, I've applied xmp but wanted to lower the voltages
mouraklanis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouraklanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 2:01am
Hello guys. I have the gskill trident z rgb kit and of course i cant use xmp since i have the rams installed in A1 and B1 slots. (xmp works fine in A2 B2 slots but rgb doesnt). I managed to reach 2800Mhz by tweeking a bit the vccio value. But cant go above that. Does anyone have any values that i could maybe change and hit more than 3000?
Rogher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 4:29am
I have the Asrock Z370 pro4 and I've updated the BIOS to the latest available version. I can select the DRAM Frequency at 2666mhz, and my PC runs well, although I noticed the computer screen turned black for about 3 seconds while I was using Firefox once time. But I'm not getting my G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) working at 3200MHz.
I enter the BIOS, click on OC Tweaker, DRAM Tweaker and I select XMP Profile 1 for 3200MHz. Then I save and exit. So my PC reboots and the screen turns black with no HDMI signal and I can't access the Bios neither the operating system. I have to turn off the computer by pressing the power button.
I think strange that when I put my T-Force Vulcan ( 8GB DDR4 2400 - TLRED48G2400HC1601) and enter the Bios, it shows the option to load XMP Setting and the pc boots normally.
But when I insert the G.Skill TridentZ RAM this option is not available.
I tried G.Skill RAM in A1 and B1 slots, and then in A2 and B2 slots and edited the voltage settings of VCCIO to 1.1V and VCCSA to 1.15V.

My build is:
-Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Pro4 - Version Bios - P 3.30
-Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200, Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
-CPU: Intel i7-8700
-Storage: Samsung 970 Evo - 250gb
-GFx Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp Edition
-Operating System : Windows 10 with all updates

Does anybody know why these things are happening?
Rogher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 7:18am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

These posts seem to confirm the issue. I say "seem" only because it is unusual for an issue to apply 100% of the time when there are hardware variables involved. The variables here are different models of memory, with differing OC speeds applied by the XMP profile.

Enabling the XMP profile causes an automatic increase in the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages. That is not caused by the XMP profile itself, but the code in the UEFI. That is a standard adjustment when over clocking memory, it normally enhances stability.

The interesting thing here is, all three users posting about this issue are using 3200 speed memory. My guess is the voltage values used for VCCIO and VCCSA when the XMP profile is enabled is simply one voltage value, regardless of the memory OC speed.

A memory OC of 3200 is not a very high memory over clock relative to Intel Z370 and Z270 boards and the Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake processor's memory controllers. Memory over clocks for Z370 and some Z270 systems of over 4000 are possible. The high VCCIO and VCCSA voltages are more appropriate for use with memory over clocks over ~3600.

The purpose of the high VCCIO and VCCSA voltages applied when the XMP profile is enabled is to insure (as much as possible) a memory OC will POST successfully. As we see with CPU over clocks, more VCore is needed, but too much is unnecessary and we reduce it to an appropriate value.

The problem is all users are not aware of the need to configure the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages with memory over clocks. The memory OC potential of the memory controller is also a factor. The compromised solution is to set them on the high side.

VCCIO and VCCSA voltages also? tend to be "sweet spot" type voltages, the optimum values need to be dialed in for the memory being used, and the OC speed. Increasing them worked with memory over clocks, but too much was not known to cause stability issues, at least with Z270 systems.

My ASRock Z270 board's UEFI also set the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages higher
than was needed with my G.SKILL 3600 memory. But I did not experience
any of the freezing issues described here. talos reported the same experience with his Z270 system. I am surprised that reducing
those voltages caused the freezing to stop, given past experience. I'm glad that it did. It seems things have changed with the memory controllers in Coffee Lake processors.

FYI, you can check the actual applied VCCIO and VCCSA voltages in the H/W Monitoring screen in the UEFI, and in Windows with programs such as HWiNFO64. My point is the actual/resulting voltage tends to be a bit more than the value entered for either option, according to the readings. You might want to select a slightly lower value for the option, to achieve a perfect result for your memory.

I think strange that when I put my T-Force Vulcan ( 8GB DDR4 2400 - TLRED48G2400HC1601) and enter the Bios, it shows the option to load XMP Setting and the pc boots normally.
But when I insert the G.Skill TridentZ RAM this option is not available.
I tried G.Skill RAM in A1 and B1 slots, and then in A2 and B2 slots and edited the voltage settings of VCCIO to 1.1V and VCCSA to 1.15V.
Joeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:42am
Thanks so much for this, those settings seem to have made so much of a difference in stability. Can't believe how bad the XMP default voltages are.
Huzzaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huzzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm
Hey, so apparently there is yet another BIOS update available.
Has anyone yet tested this?

V4.00
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Huzzaa Huzzaa wrote:

Hey, so apparently there is yet another BIOS update available.
Has anyone yet tested this?

V4.00

I downloaded and tested 4.10 and it seems enabling XMP works now without any need for voltage adjustment.

I do still however have resume form sleep issues caused by either overclocking the CPU or enabling XMP.

I have thread about it here - http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10012&PN=2&title=z370-extreme-4-hanging-freeze-resume-from-sleep
Vexz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vexz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by techdiver techdiver wrote:

I downloaded and tested 4.10 and it seems enabling XMP works now without any need for voltage adjustment.

I cannot confirm that. My mainboard runs BIOS 4.10 since the release date of that version and I even tried other RAM modules (both on QVL list). VCCIO and VCCSA are still very high values.

BUT I cannot tell if my system runs stable with lowered values (as mentioned before in this thread) because just now was the first time I ever changed VCCIO and VCCSA. My system never ran stable. Hopefully lowering the values fixes this now once and for all.
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Vexz Vexz wrote:

Originally posted by techdiver techdiver wrote:

I cannot confirm that. My mainboard runs BIOS 4.10 since the release date of that version and I even tried other RAM modules (both on QVL list). VCCIO and VCCSA are still very high values.

BUT I cannot tell if my system runs stable with lowered values (as mentioned before in this thread) because just now was the first time I ever changed VCCIO and VCCSA. My system never ran stable. Hopefully lowering the values fixes this now once and for all.

Just going on my previous experience. If I enabled XMP my system would become unstable quite quickly (unless I manually adjusted VCCIO and VCCSA) but now it runs normally without any adjustment. Now in saying that, in my system, any overclock whether it be CPU or RAM causes resume from sleep issues. This is definetly still motherboard issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic