ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ab350m pro4 won't POST! Help please!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ab350m pro4 won't POST! Help please!!
    Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:10am
Guys, Ill be honest. I'm absolutely desperate. I just can't figure this one out. At this point im close to sending it all back and giving up. I hope someone can help!

Basically all the fans work so everything is getting power, but there is no output to the monitor. 

Specs:
MB: Asrock ab350M Pro4 AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3.4GHZ 8-core
Cooler: Cryorig C7 with AM4 Upgrade Kit
Hard Drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C
PSU: Corsaire CX-M Series CX550M 
Ram: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8gb) Model F4-2400C15D-16GFX

I have read up a bunch of threads and i've tried the most common solves people have had. Here is what I have already tried:

1) Making sure Ram is correctly slotted in 2/4 slots (it took more force than I was expecting)

2) Testing the GPU on another computer and it works perfectly

3) Originally I had ram that wasn't listed QVL so I just changed to the Flare X thinking that would solve it. It did not =( (Original ram GeIL Evo Potenza 16GB Model GPR416GB2400C16DC which was not the specific AMD Ryzen edition so I thought maybe that was causing it not to post)

4) Plugging the monitor into the graphics card only. Took me a while and some reading to realize that the integrated graphics doesn't work on this board.

5) Removing the MB from the case on the offchance that one of the mb mounts was incorrect or touching the board and shorting it. I can't remember if this was before I realized the integrated graphics didn't work though, so maybe I should do that with the graphics card hooked up again.

6) Along with step 5 I unplugged everything non essential (HD, case fans, etc) and just left the Ram, CPU, heatsink, case power (to turn on), to see if it would post, but it did not.

7) I tried booting with No ram in. When I did this, it stayed on for about 15 seconds (but no post) and then rebooted. If I leave it, it continues this cycle of Rebooting every 15 seconds.

8) Unplugged and replugged everything back in just in case I had something halfway plugged in

9) Resetting CMOS

I'm gonna be honest, I'm really discouraged. I have built 4 computers and no problems (but I am in no way even an ametuer, I really barely know what i'm doing). I have asked multiple people if it could be the motherboard, and they all say that it COULD but it's unlikely. Is there something i'm missing? Im almost to the point of offering to pay someone for the solution! Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Seien - 17 Dec 2017 at 12:16am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:38am
Are there ANY beeps? Are you able to get to UEFI at least?

Also, try these:

- try just 1 stick of RAM in all slots
- repeat the above with the other stick of truth, lol no, RAM
- try the DOS re-flash method for UEFI
- clear CMOS to defaults
- check if your CPU cooler is seated properly and the TIM is applied OK EDIT: this means to redo the TIM application again; cleaning, re-applying, etc. See here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6937&title=issues-with-cryorig-cooling-on-asrock-am4
- check if there is a fan hooked to the CPU fan header (idk, hardly your case but worth to check)

Please keep us posted. Hope any of the above helps.

Edited by zlobster - 17 Dec 2017 at 12:44am
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:45am
Seien, Ryzen processors do not have an integrated GPU, so you must use the graphics card.  I know little about your board, but I assume you have no Doctor Debug hex display.  You may wish to purchase a speaker so you can hear the beep code.  The PSU looks a little light.  Does it have connections for the CPU 8-pin and 4-pin power connections?  Can you beg or borrow a 650 or so Watt PSU to try?  Are the fans on the video card running?  If you can get into BIOS, please do an F9 then F10.  Also check the HW Monitor page form temps and voltages.  F12 will put a screenshot on a plugged FAT formatted USB stick.  Make sure PCIe power connectors go to the video card and CPU connectors to CPU.  The next thing to check may be the CPU for bent pins or thermal compound on the pins.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please tell us your BIOS version and please do not try to flash it!

Edited by MisterJ - 17 Dec 2017 at 12:47am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Seien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:54am
[URL=][/URL]zlobster, Thank you for responding! I tried ram in all slots, no dice :(. Also tried to reset cmos (by moving the pins on the mb and then back). There is a cpu fan header hooked up and it is running.

I am not sure how to do the DOS method but I?™ll lookk it up!! Also, I?�m so nervous to undo the thermal paste and reseat it but I?™ll try! That part always makes me nervous when doing it the first time. Thank you for the ideas!

Edited by Seien - 17 Dec 2017 at 1:01am
Seien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Seien, Ryzen processors do not have an integrated GPU, so you must use the graphics card.? I know little about your board, but I assume you have no Doctor Debug hex display.? You may wish to purchase a speaker so you can hear the beep code.? The PSU looks a little light.? Does it have connections for the CPU 8-pin and 4-pin power connections?? Can you beg or borrow a 650 or so Watt PSU to try?? Are the fans on the video card running?? If you can get into BIOS, please do an F9 then F10.? Also check the HW Monitor page form temps and voltages.? F12 will put a screenshot on a plugged FAT formatted USB stick.? Make sure PCIe power connectors go to the video card and CPU connectors to CPU.? The next thing to check may be the CPU for bent pins or thermal compound on the pins.? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please tell us your BIOS version and please do not try to flash it!

Thank you for the reply! The psu does have connections for the mb connections (24 pin big one and a smaller one, I don?™t remember the pins off hand). There are connections for the gpu as well (a solid 8 pin into psu and a 6+2 into the gpu). I think I?™ll try to grab a speaker, maybe that will give me some clues! I?™ll try to contact a friend who might can let me borrow a new psu. The fans on graphics card are spinning, but still no video. Sadly because it won?™t output any video I can?™t see any bios info :(. I?™m glad you said not to flash the bios because I had considered it! I think the pins are right into the psu from gpu, is above the correct way to do it or do I need to flip cable around? Thanks so much for all your help! I?™ll check the pins on cpu...the thermal paste was very nerve racking and I?™m worried about messing it up!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:06am
Seien, it is not a good idea to try to update the BIOS when the system is not stable.  Please do NOT attempt!  When it is time, I recommend you use the Instant Flash method.  Please answer my questions before you remove your CPU cooler.  I understand your nervousness about removing the cooler, but I have done it several times to replace CPUs and boards with no problems - I do recommend some TIM cleaning solvent.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:58am
right my money is on the power connectors or the cpu location/socket

may i suggest
first
follow the 24 pin power to the board (make sure the additional break-off 4 pins also push down correctly) this is actually a 20+4 and the 4 pins tend to not push down with the other 20

second
the gpu card power MUST be the 6+2 and connected to the output of psu pcie 8 pin socket

thirdly
the motherboard also need an extra 8 pin power from the psu this must be labelled cpu/eps and it can only be 4+4 plug (some boards only need the 4 pins) your needs the 8 (4+4)

it is highly likely you have mixed up the pcie 6+2 and the cpu/eps (4+4)

dont worry its quite common to do this

if you have checked and tested the above
i suggest you move onto removing the cpu and looking carefully for bent pins or traces of thermal grease on socket holes or cpu pins

dont be messing with that bios at all yet for gods sake !
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Seien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:58am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

right my money is on the power connectors or the cpu location/socket

may i suggest
first
follow the 24 pin power to the board (make sure the additional break-off 4 pins also push down correctly) this is actually a 20+4 and the 4 pins tend to not push down with the other 20

second
the gpu card power MUST be the 6+2 and connected to the output of psu pcie 8 pin socket

thirdly
the motherboard also need an extra 8 pin power from the psu this must be labelled cpu/eps and it can only be 4+4 plug (some boards only need the 4 pins) your needs the 8 (4+4)

it is highly likely you have mixed up the pcie 6+2 and the cpu/eps (4+4)

dont worry its quite common to do this

if you have checked and tested the above
i suggest you move onto removing the cpu and looking carefully for bent pins or traces of thermal grease on socket holes or cpu pins

dont be messing with that bios at all yet for gods sake !

Thank you for the help! I'm honestly not quite sure I did all those things right so I took a few pictures! The GPU has the 2+6 side plugged into it and the psu side has the 8 pin. The way the PSU comes (as seen in the pictures via the giant cable) is hard wired with the 24 pin connector and the 8 pin cpu connector on their own lines, so I cant make sure they are in all the way in the PSU because they are blocked off by the box itself. The board is getting some power because all the fans come on, but maybe it's still a problem? The thing that confuses me is there is some lable on the PSU of 4+4 CPU, which doesnt make a lot of sense because the PSU comes with that line already separate? Maybe you can make heads or tails of it From the pictures?! Seriously, thank you for your help!

Edit: Having trouble uploading pictures here so I just posted them on IMGR

Edited by Seien - 17 Dec 2017 at 4:06am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 4:12am
Hmm, from your pictures I can't see a cable going to your GPU, the 1070. Your 1070 should also be hooked to the PSU.

Also, what are you powering from the 'PERIPHERAL & SATA' connector? Pls don't tell me it's the GPU. Shocked
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Seien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 4:26am
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

Hmm, from your pictures I can't see a cable going to your GPU, the 1070. Your 1070 should also be hooked to the PSU.

Also, what are you powering from the 'PERIPHERAL & SATA' connector? Pls don't tell me it's the GPU. Shocked
 Whoops! Forgot to include that picture! So here is the picture going into the GPU (its the 6+2). The side that goes into the PSU is the only plugged in thing on the 6+2/4+4 side of the PSU (But I have hte full 8 pin connector plugged into that one). 

I have another normal HD that the Peripheral is going to! Forgot to mention that in my specs. So is the plugged in 8 pin for the GPU in the right spot in the PSU? The way the lable has the 4+4 on it makes me worried i plugged that into the wrong spot!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic