ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi defective WiFi?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi defective WiFi?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:16pm
Hi, I have a new build with an X370 Taichi motherboard, and I didn't notice it immediately when installing everything, but I cannot get the built-in WiFi card to work at more than 20-30 Mbps (in both directions, either send or receive) when the access point (Asus RT-N12 D1 with latest firmware) is in the room above, as usual. Doing an internet access speed test, if I put the access point next to the PC that has the X370 Taichi, in the same room, the max I get is 53-54 Mbps, whereas my Lenovo laptop gets 87-88 Mbps, which is not much less than if I use an Ethernet cable at 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps.

My operating systems on my previous PC and on my laptop report 144.4 Mbps connections to the access point, but on the new PC with X370 Taichi, I only get 72.2 Mbps. I also tried with another access point (actually the router from my internet access provider), which has 802.11ac, and it doesn't go over this 72.2 either.

I found with some google searches that other people have had the same or a similar problem, and advised changing some options (like WMM on the access point, which is enabled, disable Bluetooth, which I did, etc.). I tried everything, turning Bluetooth off seems to make a very slight improvement, but that's it.

I tried the latest drivers from ASRock, and also the "generic" one provided by Windows (which seems to improve the speed a bit). Of course, I checked that the antennas are properly screwed. I also tried on Linux, and the WiFi there is still as slow.

Could this be a symptom that the WiFi on my X370 is defective? The speed of only 72 Mpbs seems a bad sign considering that my other devices achieve 144 with the same AP.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:24pm
im using drivers direct from intel

they have there own installer pack to detect and install correct driver

but to be fair its a technicality as i dont use the wifi on this system anyway,due to surrounding area being swamped with too much wifi (i loose around 65% speed with any device sat next to my wifi router), so i hard wired ethernet from router to pc in my office/mancave

wifi where i live is just for the mobile phones , and not any use for the pc's
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:59pm
The WIFI on this board is fairly well known. Ubuntu or Kali live USB should show good results for speeds.

I'm using 'Update drivers' from Win 10 device manager for both BT & WIFI, although I'm trying to disable the WIFI altogether. Disabling seems impossible with this board for now.

Also, I can't recall, but the WIFI is hooked on a shared PCIe lanes. If other devices are hogging the lane at the same time you may be facing the low throughput.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:33pm
Thanks for your answers! I made a mistake in my first post, and the access point was set to use 20 MHz bandwidth channels only, which explained the limited speed (now my laptop, which can use two streams unlike the card provided with the X370 Taichi, can connect at 300 Mbps).

However, I do think that my X370 Taichi has a problem, because the left socket for the antenna doesn't seem to work at all. If I unplug the antenna, nothing changes. If I screw only one antenna into this socket and not the other one, I can't detect any wireless network, but if I put one antenna on the right socket only, then it works. It's not the antennas themselves, because I tried swapping them.

This doesn't seem normal, does it?

Edited by Onox - 19 Dec 2017 at 5:33pm
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:01pm
Doesn't seem right. Check if MIMO is enabled in drivers. Also, did you try a Live Linux USB?

Try connecting to your WiFi router and see how the Taichi connects to it. Most reputable WIFI manufacturers provide ways to see the wireless clients' capabilities in their routers/AP.

Ironically, I'm trying to shut down my WIFI for good, but UEFI won't allow me. Smile
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:57pm
Onox, does your board have BlueTooth?  We know that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth use the antennae.  Perhaps Wi-Fi uses one and Bluetooth uses the other?  I suggest you open a ticket and ask ASRock.

zlobster, it is true that the Wi-Fi cannot be turned off but it can be removed.  There are several post here, some with pictures, on how to remove the Intel card but you will loose Bluetooth also.

Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 12:12am
ther might be posibility of dual band 2.4ghz on one antena and 5ghz on another
dunno i have intel 8260 (oem from lenovo) on my x370 fatal1ty gaming x and saw plenty of network setups in there
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:17am
^ this^

i presume one is 5gig and the other is 2.4
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:39am
My X370 Taichi WIFI is Intel 3168, which is 1x1 TX/RX, so NO MIMO.

This means 1 antenna is for 2.4GHz WIFI & BT, other is for 5GHz, since they are hooked to 2 different radio front-ends. At least that is the most likely scenario.

EDIT: is it possible that I swap the WIFI module with another one? Are they whitelisted in UEFI?

Edited by zlobster - 20 Dec 2017 at 2:41am
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 3:16am
theres no reason to whitelist anything, it isnt notebook
but as for hardware its ok to put anything as long its pin compatible (m.2key e)

but before you do, you may try go to google/youtube and look for ac 3160 slow connection entries
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic