ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [Solved] Strange Issue Between Motherboard and GPU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] Strange Issue Between Motherboard and GPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amantalado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] Strange Issue Between Motherboard and GPU
    Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:26pm
[Solved] RX 580 doesn't work on Windows 8/8.1.
Hello I will try to keep this succinct, first my build is new and just put together:

AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Video Card
VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

The software is a basic Windows 8.1 Pro x64 installation via bootable USB. The drivers for the motherboard were installed with the CD that came with it along with the online driver for the AMD All-In-1 installer, which at the end said 'Your Graphics Card is Ready'.

Now, everything is hooked up, all the lights are on, and the monitor's cable is connected to the graphics card port rather than the motherboard. Monitor is fine, computer starts and loads very quickly, except it appears that despite having my monitor specifically using the Graphics Card to display from, the system is sticking to Windows Integrated Graphics. When I try to use the Motherboard's port for the Monitor cable, it simply goes dark and doesn't register a feed. I've also tried different power supply cable configurations on the card, using the 6 pin and then the 8 pin connectors when no change was seen. In the BIOS, the closest thing I found to a Graphics Card option was Advanced\AMD PBS which has just the entry: Primary Video Adaptor: Ext Graphics (PEG) and it is grayed out and unable to be changed.

The only thing I haven't tried is Disabling the Basic Display Adapter in it's Driver Settings, but I get the feeling that I don't want to risk it yet.

I'll take any advice I can get, but my minds coming up blank for the time being.

Edited by Amantalado - 18 Dec 2017 at 11:56pm
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Amantalado Amantalado wrote:

Now, everything is hooked up, all the lights are on, and the monitor's cable is connected to the graphics card port rather than the motherboard. Monitor is fine, computer starts and loads very quickly, except it appears that despite having my monitor specifically using the Graphics Card to display from, the system is sticking to Windows Integrated Graphics. When I try to use the Motherboard's port for the Monitor cable, it simply goes dark and doesn't register a feed.

There is no integrated graphics on your system. The motherboard's port is meant to be used when pairing the motherboard with an AMD APU. Without it, it doesn't output anything. The "Windows Integrated Graphics" may be a poor way to let you know that Windows is using some generic drivers for your GPU. Have you downloaded AMD's newest drivers for the RX 580 and installed them?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:38pm
heres afew facts

you cannot use the onboard video connector because you dont have any (the ryzen dosnt have any graphics in it )

windows is misreporting the graphics as to see anything on screen you have to be using the rx580

and lastly save yourself a real drama use win10 the ryzen just isnt happy using anything lower (you can still use your win8 key for win 10 as long as you download the win10 from microsoft 'media creation tool ' this will allow you to use the win8 key on the same version eg win10 64bit pro

i suggest for graphics driver to install
amd radeon adrealin pack from the amd support website
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Amantalado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amantalado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:32pm
Looking around, it looks like RX 580 doesn't play nice at all with Windows 8.1. I'll try upgrading to 10 along with gettings Drivers for the Card itself.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:39pm
i think you can upgrade to win10 direct thru your windows 8 app shop thingie

(dont quote me i totally skipped that win8 nightmare)

try the amd radeon driver install first though it might be a simple fix

allthough ryzen is more suited for win10
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Amantalado Amantalado wrote:

Looking around, it looks like RX 580 doesn't play nice at all with Windows 8.1. I'll try upgrading to 10 along with gettings Drivers for the Card itself.

Win 10 upgrade is free (for now at least), if you have a valid key for Win 7 or above.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic