ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi & RAID & Win10 Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShushDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi & RAID & Win10 Install
    Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 7:06am
Here is another "I can't get Windows to Install RAID on this MB" thread, sorry.

I have a new X399 Taichi, Ryzen 1950X and am trying to install Windows 10 Pro from a Full Version, Retail USB. I am installing the OS (or trying to) on two 500GB SATA SSDs. I am on BIOS version 1.5.

Here is what I've done:
  • I have followed the instructions found http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf.
  • There is only one RAID 1 array, consisting of both of the SSDs; SATA Mode is set to "RAID"; the Boot->CSM and set ?œLaunch Storage OpROM policy??is configured to UEFI.
  • I have downloaded the RAID drivers from the BIOS' "Easy Raid Installer".
  • I have also disabled IOMMU in the BIOS (although that took days to figure out), so I've cleared that hurdle.
  • When I boot up the computer with the USB drive inserted, the Windows 10 installer comes up (after asking me if I want to install 32-bit or 64-bit). I finally arrive at the "Where do you want to install Windows?". I follow the directions and install the 3 drivers in the correct order.
The Problem:
However at the end, there is a yellow exclamation point saying "Windows can't be installed on drive 2 partition 1. (Show details)". Click on that says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Troubleshooting performed so far:
  1. I have tried to click on "New" (it is no longer an available option). No change.
  2. I have clicked on "Format", said "OK" to the warning. No change.
  3. I have deleted and reconstructed the array. On the second time, I kept the Media Type (I can't recall the exact language) to "Both" instead of previously selecting "SSD". No change.
  4. I have followed the solution found by user Pape from the following thread: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6722&PN=3&title=x399-taichi-storage, which was to force it to boot from the UEFI partition of the USB drive. This results in a boot error screen titled "Windows Boot Manager" saying that Windows failed to start, the file is \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD, Status: 0xc000000f, Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
Please, please help! This is SOOOOO frustrating. Thank you for the help!
X399 Taichi - Ryzen 1950X - 16 GB DDR4 3000 - GTX 1080 Ti
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 9:09am
ShushDog, I am really curious why you are running such an old version of BIOS?  Please post a more complete set of your specifications in your signature as I have.  Now for my recommendations:
1. Install the latest BIOS - 2.00 at this writing.
2. DL drivers and instructions from the ASRock pages for your board.
3. See my posts at the end of this thread: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6859&title=x399-fatality-1950x-raid-problems
4. Read the instructions and ask questions.

And questions: 
1. Are your SSDs SATA or NVMe?
2. Where did your W10 USB stick come from?
3. Have you read any of the many RAID threads here, including ones I have contributed to?
4. Is there any chance that you will want to step up to an NVMe RAID if you current drives are not?

I do not understand why you would want to create a RAID on the old BIOS which will not survive an update to 1.70 or higher.  If you upgrade to higher than 1.50, you will have to save your data and create a new RAID.
Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
ShushDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShushDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 9:45am
Hi! Thank you for replying! Here are the answers to your questions:
0) I just bought the MB new from Newegg.com and have been using the BIOS version that it was installed with. (Why 1.5)
1) SATA
2) Retail - Frys actually.
3) I have read three of them, IIRC. 2 of them seemed to have ended in success when the Win10 USB was used as a UEFI boot device and the other was about ghost drives which I don't have currently.
4) No I don't plan on upgrading to NVMe.
5) I was not planning on upgrading my BIOS, so any consequences from upgrading BIOS was not part of my calculus up to this point.

One important note: I am trying to create a RAID array for the boot drive, i.e., I want my two disks to be my C:\ drive. I just wanted to make sure my intentions were clear in case there is something flawed here.

Here's what I'm going to go try:
  • I will go update the BIOS to 2.0.
  • I have already downloaded "SATA Floppy Image" and "AMD RAID driver" from the download pages and I will try to install Win10 with both, "SATA Floppy Image" first. (I already tried that once and I got BSOD'd in the Win10 installer when loading the 2nd driver.)
  • I skimmed over the post you linked, but it doesn't seem like what was going on there applied to my situation, but perhaps I am missing something.
I will post back with the results of the BIOS upgrade and SATA Floppy Image drivers!

ShushDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShushDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
Ok, here is an update:

1. I've updated the BIOS to 2.0. Everything seems fine and stable.
  2. I've tried the Win10 install with all 3 sets of drivers, none of which eliminated Windows installer error. (1 set from the CD via the "Easy RAID Installer", 2 sets from the ASRock download page.)

SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:48pm
Just a tip - never use the drivers provided by the manufacturer on his website (and never ever ever use those from the CD - these are even older). Go directly to AMD website and download the latest chipset and raid drivers. 
Also download the latest W10 iso from Microsoft. The old one IS NO GOOD read here ->
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6615&title=important-windows-10-information-for-x399-users
Plus on your place I would make sure to install W10 in UEFI mode (google).
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:45am
Sonic,
Quote ...never use the drivers provided...
is usually great advise but not here!  Always use the ASRock drivers from the MB pages for RAID.  ASRock will claim that they have not modified them but they have.  It is the same with the Aquania drivers.  As far as I know this is an X399 thing and not general.  If you use the AMD RAID drivers, you will see a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle.  Scares me so I use the ASROCk posted ones and they work fine.

ShushDog, you got ahead of me.  The two sets of drivers on the ASRock page are identical.  There is an additional file in one, but the driver files are the same.  Please do this:
1. Boot into BIOS, hit F9 then F10
2. Boot into BIOS, set SATA mode to RAID
3. Set CSM to disable
4. F10
5. boot into BIOS
6. use RAIDXpert2 (RX2) to delete all drives you want included in the RAID and any
    arrays shown
7. Create array, selecting each of your drives, one by one
8. F10
9. Boot into Boot Menu (F11)
10. Select install USB (BTW, where did it come from?).  You should see UEFI only version.
11. Install the RAID drivers in this order: 
   1-rcbottom - all your drives in the RAID will disappear
   2-rcraid - you will see your one RAID
   3-rccfg - you are good to go!
12. Install W10 on the RAID.
13. Enjoy.
Please remember that you can get a screenshot in BIOS using F12 with a FAT formatted USB plugged.
Enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

It is the same with the Aquania drivers. 
I am using the stock drivers from the beginning -- you just need the ones for the proper chipset.
Works perfectly for me
As far as I know this is an X399 thing and not general.  If you use the AMD RAID drivers, you will see a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle.  Scares me so I use the ASROCk posted ones and they work fine.
this I didn't knew (not using RAID by myself). Would be best to investigate it further and adopt/adjust the changes to the newest AMD driver. I cannot honestly believe that they will mod the drivers cause then they would need to re-sign the drivers with their own certificate... and last time I took a look this was not touched. 

Edited by SoniC - 22 Dec 2017 at 12:56am
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 3:44am
Sonic, I do not know what you mean by "stock drivers" and "proper chipset".  I DLed all the drivers from the Aquantia site and they are all the same no matter the product version, but they are not the same as the ASRock drivers.  If you will open the RAID driver rcbottom catalog file from AMD and ASRock you will see they have different signers.  The ASRock one is signed by Seagate and it is not signed properly.  I attempted an install on my VM with Safe Boot enabled and install crashed with a signing error.  Enjoy, John.
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:49am
Is there a way to migrate a single NVMe boot Win 10 install to a RAID-0 NVMe install by means of restoring a mirrored copy? My mirroring software of choice is Macrium Reflect.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:46am
JayB33, please post all your specifications as I have in my signature.  Tell us about your RAID to be.  My first thought is that the mirrored copy will not have the RAID drivers and it may not boot.  How  is a mirrored drive restored?  I need to understand much more about your setup and intentions.  Enjoy, John.

Edited by MisterJ - 31 Dec 2017 at 3:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic