ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[solved]New build not starting x370 taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:21am
http://asrock.nl/downloadsite/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

Chapter 2.6, page 27, System Panel Header, as Jake said.

Fans stopping after power on is strange. Smells like something's tripping some protection (OVP, OCP, etc.) in the PSU or the mobo itself. Please triple-check all cabling. Check if CPU and cooler are seated properly. Check if something isn't shortening out somewhere. Check jumpers, fan and peripheral connectors and cables.

Are you getting ANY Dr. Debug codes at all?

If you're know your way around a multimeter we could try a few hacks and see if the PSU is working w/o the mobo.

EDIT: now looking more into that RAM of yours, I really think Ryzens will hate it big time. It's neither on the QVL, nor tailored specifically for AMD. But it costs 450 GBP which is craaaazeey! What do you say you pick the cheapest single stick of RAM from the QVL and try with it?

Edited by zlobster - 31 Dec 2017 at 3:25am
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
evilben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:28am
I've quad checked all the cables, they are securely in the correct spots. I've double checked the CPU, it should be seated correctly as well.

Nothing on the Dr debug.

The mb looks fine. The only thing that looks suspect is on the back it looks like the solder from the clear cmos button has overflown onto one of the pins for the usb/mouse plug in.

I'm not familiar with a multimeter, sorry.

The local microcenter was out of tweeters and didn't have any cheap ram from the list (using the one stickied at the top of the forum) will have to order online.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:39am
By checking the cables I mean disconnect them, make sure each (yes, each) end goes securely in their respective connector. Seems trivial but even I have done some screw-ups by simply overlooking trivial stuff.

OK, next thing - can you please post a good macro photo of what you think is the overflown solder?

And something 'radical' - try removing ALL your RAM and peripherals, incl. GPU, HDD, SSD, etc. Leave only the PSU, CPU and the CPU cooler.

Clear the CMOS and try powering up again. Mobo should be beeping (once you get a beeper) and blinking like a madafaka. Err, I mean Dr. Debug should give you some values. That's a good sign!

Continue adding other components one by one. Make sure you clear CMOS each and every time.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
evilben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:08am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:26am
evilben, that looks like a good candidate.  I recommend you send the picture to ASRock Technical Support.  Hopefully someone with a Taichi will know what they are looking at and if it is wrong.  I would send the picture off ASAP, so you can get an RMA going soon if needed.  Good find.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
evilben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:26am
Checked all the cables again. They are well seated. The mb power supply doesn't have wires going on at position 20, is this intentional? Also missing two wires coming out on the PSU side.

Tried the radical idea. Same result. CPU and PSU fans start then stop immediately. The leds under the plastic near the sata ports turn on purple then start blinking blue as soon as the PSU is switched on and continue after I try to power up the machine and the fan thing happens.
Nothing from the Dr debug
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:28am
Originally posted by evilben evilben wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/WaLkoas.jpg

Although your observations are correct and there is indeed a leaked solder, that's not an issue in this case. Minus what's a typical poor solder job, these two pins you're seeing are not used to carry electricity. They are merely for keeping the respective components installed on the PCB.

These components' housings are most likely sharing a common grounding point anyway, i.e. they are already 'touching internally' via PCB traces. Some solder in that case is not an issue at all.

But let's be clear, that's a bad soldering, hands down! Take notes, ASRock. You're lucky I don't want to take my PC apart, otherwise I'd show you what a mess my Taichi is under its plastic ports cover shroud thingy! Enough 'garage works' outsourcing already!

Edited by zlobster - 31 Dec 2017 at 5:29am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:33am

Tried the radical idea. Same result. CPU and PSU fans start then stop immediately. The leds under the plastic near the sata ports turn on purple then start blinking blue as soon as the PSU is switched on and continue after I try to power up the machine and the fan thing happens.

That's bad news. Cry At that point the mobo should have started telling us where it's hurt.

Even though I don't think the bad solder job in your picture is the real problem, I still believe the mobo is to be RMA'd nonetheless.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:10am

Checked all the cables again. They are well seated. The mb power supply doesn't have wires going on at position 20, is this intentional? Also missing two wires coming out on the PSU side.

On a side note, I can't really imagine which wires are missing. Could you please post some pictures with all wires you're suspicious of?
evilben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:43am
Psu side https://i.imgur.com/dPvHrDe.jpg
Mobo side https://i.imgur.com/suAtbcZ.jpg
You can see the spots without metal contacts. There are no wires in those at all.

I am attempting an RMA from Newegg. Hopefully it is just a bad Mobo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic