ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wond1r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:06am
What CPU are you using because you could have a look at this:

and here for the actual download:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090007

Edited by wond1r - 03 Mar 2018 at 3:07am
diegopau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diegopau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:13am
It would be great to have an update from Asrock on a new BIOS. But it seems that we might have another solution those with Haswell and higher:

For what I read there Microsoft will be rolling out their own patches (not available through Windows update directly) and even if not all target CPUs are supported yet they will be and should be listed here eventually: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

In my case I own a H81M-VG4 R2.0, I am not sure Asrock will ever update the BIOS for it.
diegopau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diegopau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:14am
Originally posted by wond1r wond1r wrote:

What CPU are you using because you could have a look at this:

and here for the actual download:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090007

Sorry I didn't see your post :)
SectorGZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SectorGZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:57am
From the Asrock Website https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS

I don't see an update for the Z170 OC Formula Cry ... I wonder if that is in the works Ermm
Z170 OC Formula
Intel Core i7-6700K CPU
32GB DDR4 3200
NVIDIA GTX 970
Asus VN247 Monitor
Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB
WD 2TB
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Windows 10 Pro on VMware
Joe88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 8:49am
Nothing yet for the X99 OC Formula
soulstealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:33am
just letting you know that micro code updates will probably happen over windows (10) updates:

mandrakerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrakerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:35am
Friends, left the microcode update Meltdown and Specter for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge,
3rd and 2nd Generation Intel.

Please => New Bios ASRock Z77 Extreme4

https: //newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/03/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Edited by mandrakerj - 13 Mar 2018 at 1:55am
Grisu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grisu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:16pm
They did them all.

But now there is no need for it anymore as MS provides it with manually installed KB in Windows like it's done in linux.
And if there will be better microcodes in future there is no need for asrock to update firmware for it.

Especially as their code will protect only against special attacks maybe never seen in real world and still unsecured against new comming hacks.

So maybe even better to stay with recent firmware and handle it completely in OS where you be able to turn it off/on by (de)installing proper KB or update.
For skylake already available: https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

mandrakerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrakerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Grisu Grisu wrote:

They did them all.

But now there is no need for it anymore as MS provides it with manually installed KB in Windows like it's done in linux.
And if there will be better microcodes in future there is no need for asrock to update firmware for it.

Especially as their code will protect only against special attacks maybe never seen in real world and still unsecured against new comming hacks.

So maybe even better to stay with recent firmware and handle it completely in OS where you be able to turn it off/on by (de)installing proper KB or update.
For skylake already available: https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

Nothing to do friend!
Ideally, this Fix should be run directly by the ASRock Manufacturer directly on the updated Bios.
The Impacts, Fall of Performance, are much smaller than by Intel or Microsoft Software.
And this update of Bios also gives to disable On Off.

Go for me, they are words of IT and Developers.
The main update is in Bios by ASRock Manufacturer.

The one provided by Intel is different and heavy, with a lot of performance loss.

TonyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:27am
I've just flashed my AsRock Z97 Extreme6 to the latest v2.80 bios that was released on the 13th, and Spectre is now fixed.

There is also a new bios for the AsRock X99 Extreme6.
AsRock Z97 Extreme6
EVGA GTX 970 SC
i7 4790K
32GB DDR3 1600
Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB NVME
WD Velociraptor 1TB 10K HDD
x3 Seagate 4TB 5900RPM HDD
Pioneer BDR-S08XLT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic