ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvizc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:15pm
Owner of Asrock Z77 extreme4 reporting in and looking forward to this also. 
FFreestyleRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFreestyleRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:08am
Here we go... i7-8700k with ASRock Z370 Extreme4 (BIOS 1.40):

https://i.imgur.com/uGXhPmJ.png

I hope that my system won't become unstable and if so I hope I can rollback the changes back to Microcode rev. 70. :)
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:38am
Originally posted by FFreestyleRR FFreestyleRR wrote:

I hope that my system won't become unstable and if so I hope I can rollback the changes back to Microcode rev. 70. :)
Nice, congratulations. Wink
Morku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:42am
I gave up waiting for official updates, I never understood why there is so slow support.
I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme4. Last official update is from january 2017. Since a year! And Skylake is not that old. So there is a Beta update to have at least HT bugfix from july 2017.
So since a half year we/I have to wait when this BIOS gets "stable". wtf?
Even Intel will stop at some point to bring out uCodes for CPU, it shouldn't be that problem to support Boards to that date. I whish there would be at least an official announcment of ASRock.
So personally, Spectre is a nice accident to see, which boardmanufactur takes care for old mainboards and after that I will see if it is worth to stay for ASRock.

So I modded the BIOS myself which might be an option for advanced users with Dual BIOS. It would be great if there would be a manufactur who support modding bios with easytools to always implement microcode. Of course, it's not recommended :)

tsunami2311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami2311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by FFreestyleRR FFreestyleRR wrote:

lucky i still waiting, I would  go back old microcode/bios the cat is out bag with this flaw due to social media wilder fires, if the bad people dint know about that they sure do now and will try and exploit it
tsunami2311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami2311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Morku Morku wrote:

I gave up waiting for official updates, I never understood why there is so slow support.
I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme4. Last official update is from january 2017. Since a year! And Skylake is not that old. So there is a Beta update to have at least HT bugfix from july 2017.
So since a half year we/I have to wait when this BIOS gets "stable". wtf?
Even Intel will stop at some point to bring out uCodes for CPU, it shouldn't be that problem to support Boards to that date. I whish there would be at least an official announcment of ASRock.
So personally, Spectre is a nice accident to see, which boardmanufactur takes care for old mainboards and after that I will see if it is worth to stay for ASRock.

So I modded the BIOS myself which might be an option for advanced users with Dual BIOS. It would be great if there would be a manufactur who support modding bios with easytools to always implement microcode. Of course, it's not recommended :)

you have same cpu and board as me did you notice any real noticable diffrence preformance wise?

Edited by tsunami2311 - 13 Jan 2018 at 3:31am
Morku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:44am
No, not noticable in my daily using. I am also not into benchmarks and my video encodings still have the general speed like before. I am fine with the current solution, but I think it's not the last update we saw.

Terry from Microsoft told, that you won't notice a performance drop when using a current CPU and Windows 10. There will be a bigger performance impact for older CPU (like Haswell and older) and if you still use Windows 7/8.1.
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:21am
How much slower will your PC feel  after patching for Spectre-Meltdown

SiliconTrigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:58am

So I modded the BIOS myself which might be an option for advanced users

Hi Morku
care to share how you did it. One of my ASRock that still use runs on core i5-2500k with that last beta BIOS from I think 2012.
No way ASRock will fix that

I'd really appreciate if you shared a bit on that issue!

Also, good for you, btw :)

Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:05am
Originally posted by SiliconTrigger SiliconTrigger wrote:

So I modded the BIOS myself which might be an option for advanced users

Hi Morku
care to share how you did it. One of my ASRock that still use runs on core i5-2500k with that last beta BIOS from I think 2012.
No way ASRock will fix that

I'd really appreciate if you shared a bit on that issue!

Also, good for you, btw :)

What board do you have?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic