ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by SiliconTrigger SiliconTrigger wrote:

Originally posted by tsunami2311 tsunami2311 wrote:

intersting how asrock has made no offical statment on this and seem to be silently doing update at random

Yes, that's unusual and not in a good way. The other manufactures usually have set up a dedicated website for Meltdown, Spectre, listing all the affected products and more information and links to the patches. ASRock releases patches 'on the dl'

On the upside, my B250-HDV got the firmware update today and is now fully patched Smile

Dedicated website?

Links please as I find none using MY Google Fu.
wond1r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wond1r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:04am
http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3904
and 
http://www.asrock.com/Microsite/SA00088/
ok2018 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ok2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:15am
[URL=][/URL]http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=bBIOS

latest beta have 8 and 9 series updated last month so that boards are still updated. I really do not wont to upgrade until new cpus are without current bugs and they are faster substantially from what I have now. i have asrock h97 killer and asrock z97 pro 4 boards.

Edited by ok2018 - 19 Jan 2018 at 3:16am
Hackerpcs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hackerpcs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
I know it's probably a long shot but securing older boards like my B75 Pro3-M with the very popular 2nd Generation i5 Sandy Bridge 2500K would be nice

C:\
λ  Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]
For more information about the output below, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4074629

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True
Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: False [not required for security]

Suggested actions

* Install BIOS/firmware update provided by your device OEM that enables hardware support for the branch target injection mitigation.

BTIHardwarePresent             : False
BTIWindowsSupportPresent       : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled       : False
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy      : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : True
KVAShadowRequired              : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : True
KVAShadowPcidEnabled           : False

C:\
λ

Edited by Hackerpcs - 19 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
Unregisteredabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:03am
So according to the news bulletin released yesterday on January 18th, they only mention current updates for 100/200/300 series for now, and then intend to update 8/9/SoC in the future. Not sure what SoC is.

Is 8 series for Haswell? I have a Z77 and Ivy Bridge, is that 7 series?

Intel said they are working on CPUs up to 5 years old. Haswell is just under 5 years, but Ivy Bridge is just over 5 years.
ok2018 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ok2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:36am
Where did you read it that 8 9 and soc comes next? Sorry i dont know that soc means. y, i meant that 8 and 9 are haswells.

there are updates for Ivy Bridge for Linux so i really hope they will update everything. if thay dont i will switch to amd, and that will be on playstation.
no more xx.
SiliconTrigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:38am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Dedicated website?

Links please as I find none using MY Google Fu.

If you have a non ASRock system:

Microsoft's Website is a good starting point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

as it lists the deep links to the manufacturer's Meltdown websites for Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo and many others.

Originally posted by wond1r wond1r wrote:

http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3904
and

Although very late to the game, I'm glad they finally did it, but on Jan 18 it was hardly 'news' anymore and considering that we have been talking about it in this forum topic since Jan 6.

Originally posted by Hackerpcs Hackerpcs wrote:

I know it's probably a long shot but securing older boards like my B75 Pro3-M with the very popular 2nd Generation i5 Sandy Bridge 2500K would be nice

Same here. I still have a core i5 2500k too! My understanding is that Intel has not released microcode for these CPUs yet so there is at this point in time nothing that ASRock or any other manufacturer can do about it Unhappy

Unregisteredabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by ok2018 ok2018 wrote:

Where did you read it that 8 9 and soc comes next? Sorry i dont know that soc means. y, i meant that 8 and 9 are haswells.

there are updates for Ivy Bridge for Linux so i really hope they will update everything. if thay dont i will switch to amd, and that will be on playstation.
no more xx.

It's that 2nd link that others have mentioned that talks about older hardware. The 1st link, the one from the actual news bulletin, only mentions 100/200/300 series chipsets.

This is the 1st paragraph in the link:
ASRock is aware that the current Intel® microcode version might be defected by security vulnerabilities, we are working closely with Intel® to fix and update new BIOS for ASRock 100/200/Z370/X299 series motherboards.New BIOS versions for ASRock 8/9/X99 series and SoC motherboards will be created after new intel microcode is available.

Edited by Unregisteredabc - 20 Jan 2018 at 8:45am
JCorrea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCorrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:19am
There is not update for ivy/sandy yet.
Termie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Unregisteredabc Unregisteredabc wrote:

New BIOS versions for ASRock 8/9/X99 series and SoC motherboards will be created after new intel microcode is available.

that's what I´ve waited for. Thanxx for sharing. Of course the current Haswell/Broadwell microcode which was released by Intel recently is buggy/causes unexpected reboots. But glad to hear that updated UEFI's will come asap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic