ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 2:04pm
I surely hope everyone has heard about the recent blow-off of the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. My question for ASRock is simple: will there be a BIOS and relevant driver update for all the motherboards in the past 5 (even better 10) years?

I am still running a Z77 in my machine, and the BIOS update stopped at the end of 2013 IIRC, which is not a big issue because the machine runs stably. However, when serious security issue like this arises, I wonder if ASRock is really going to go back 5 years and mod the BIOS for a 5-year old MB? I hope this is the case, or I'd need to rebuild my system with a new MB =(

Edited by csasr - 05 Jan 2018 at 2:04pm
Xeonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xeonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 2:35pm
Would like an updated bios as well, also on Z77.  Why nothing posted on this site about ASRocks' intentions on how they are handling this?
Graag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:35pm
I'm interested on this also. I have P67 Extreme6 with overclocked 2500k on it. I know this is an old system, nearly seven years now. But it is still a perfectly functional machine even for gaming.

I'm doubtful that any manufacturer would support so old hardware. I't the same thing with all consumer electronics these days. It's not planned obsolescence but rather obsolescence by negligence and insecurity.

Edited by Graag - 05 Jan 2018 at 8:11pm
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm
I already posted this to the other thread, but here goes:

Please note that Meltdown and Spectre variant 1 cannot - according to current knowledge - be fixed with a microcode update. According to The Register, Skylake and later CPUs will receive a microcode update to counter the Spectre variant 2 (which requires kernel countermeasures as well), but I don't know if that's actually necessary or if it only makes the performance impact of the kernel countermeasures smaller.

In any case, hopefully ASRock will be able to provide all available updates to those affected.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Sebastian DI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastian DI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:22am
Oh thankssssss that u opened this thread!

What can i say? I am obviously really pissed about the situation.
I owe a relatively still modern MoBo called "ASRock Z77 Extreme6" with the BETA Bios P2.80E on it. Vulnerable as hell still.

By the way i will not buy a new MoBo or a new Prozzi. Why. Because all processors that are on market are vulnerable. I will not trash my Intel 3770k. I want that Asrock gives Bios updates to all users, even if they use a 4 year old Mobo. We all need the microcode update, FAST.

Greetz,

DI
All will end "good"....
Sebastian DI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastian DI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:27am
Clap

Then they do not know what they told u about. ALL PROCESSORS are affected to this vulnerability. It can get fixed by the System you are using (in my case windows 10 64bit). And it will certainly slow down for example Videos u open on Windows. The SSD for example opens Videos slower than before.

The thing is, that for example an Intel 3770k needs a microcode update from the Mobo, so that the patch that Microsoft brought out, 100% works. This is possible to do.

I want that fixed!
All will end "good"....
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 2:17am
There is already a class action lawsuit brewing up. Simply jump on the bandwagon and give Intel the same screwing they are giving you.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 2:22am
Meltdown has not been shown to affect other CPUs than several generations of Intel CPUs and Arm Cortex-A75. There is also no microcode fix for it at the moment.

Edited by PetrolHead - 06 Jan 2018 at 2:22am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
csasr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:30am
A BIOS update would be nice, otherwise, it'd be new MB and new CPU. Even worse, we have to wait for updated CPU design down the road, which makes the period of vulnerability long and painful.

I've patched Windows 10, and being less than technical/educated, I grasped the idea that 1) a firmware update from Intel (don't know if I've ever seen that or what it is!) and 2) an update of BIOS and other drivers from the OEM have to be implemented in addition to the OS patch to address the issue.

New to the forum here, so I'm not sure if ASRock staff actively participates in discussion, but so far it looks like a support ticket is to be opened?
csasr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

I already posted this to the other thread, but here goes:

Please note that Meltdown and Spectre variant 1 cannot - according to current knowledge - be fixed with a microcode update. According to The Register, Skylake and later CPUs will receive a microcode update to counter the Spectre variant 2 (which requires kernel countermeasures as well), but I don't know if that's actually necessary or if it only makes the performance impact of the kernel countermeasures smaller.

In any case, hopefully ASRock will be able to provide all available updates to those affected.

I tried to follow Intel press, but this company sucks at transparency. I didn't immediately blame it for the flawed design and the followed consequence, but their dodging statement really angered me.

I also read that they were going to update firmware for "90%" of the current market, but that doesn't answer whether my CPU will be included. My CPU is definitely older than Skylake - I'm still on Sandy Bridge... Dang it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic