ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Wake Up On Lan FAILURE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:42am
Hey MisterJ,

No damn luck on this one. 
i removed the device.
Uninstalled the drivers.
Verified they where not around in any Windows Directory.
Rebooted the system and the adapter was not there.

installed the downloaded drivers.
Setup the options in the adpater for WOL.

NADA, Nothing, Zilch,

Turned on the VLAN Monitor set it to Enabled.

NADA, Nothing, Zilch,

Man I am lost now.  The lights are on for the Adapter when the machine is off.
I proved the router is sending the WOL packet.
What is left ????????????????

X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
GSkill 3200 16 gig CL14-14-14-34
Sapphire Nitro R9 200 series 4gb
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:53am

http://www.sysadminshowto.com/how-to-configure-wake-on-lan-in-windows-10-and-windows-8-1/
on this site some people says that they need unclick all those pwer options in order to make wol working

dejianr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:56am
MisterJ,

I have no idea if this means anything. I DISABLED all the ACPI settings in BIOS.
I shut the machine down. The light for Lan Adapter was still on. If ACPI is turned
off how can there be power to the card when off.

What setting is causing that ????

If the light is on when these setting are off how do you know if the right settings for
WOL are turned on.  I am use to only having the light on when the WOL settings are
correct.
X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
dejianr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:59am
Thanks kerberos_20,

As defined in the spreadsheet settings on page one I have tried every setting
here that you can try to no avail.  It will  not wake up on lan.
X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 7:03am
Originally posted by dejianr dejianr wrote:

Thanks kerberos_20,

As defined in the spreadsheet settings on page one I have tried every setting
here that you can try to no avail.  It will  not wake up on lan.

but reading further down ull get to user comments:
Ticking the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" instructs Windows 10 to cut the power of the network adapter and therefore there will be zero power on the ethernet port. If your computer is connected to the internet through a so-called 'home plug' (aka as IP over Power), zero power on the ethernet port may activate the internal power saving protocol of the Home Plug and switch it off. From then on it will be impossible for the magic packet to reach the system and have the network adapter starting it up.
dejianr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 7:16am
Hi kerberos_20,

Well you caught me, I did test that options and forget to click it off on the spreadsheet.
But for S & Grins I will try it again.

There are three Options:
Allow Turn off
Allow Wake Up
Only Magic packet

When you unclick the allow turn off and leave the
Allow Wake Up and Only magic packet to be clicked.
When the machine reboots the Allow Wake Up is OFF and
the Only Magic Packet is on.  WOL still does not work with
those settings.

The Allow Turn Off and Allow Wake Up seem to go together.
You get both or none.

FYI, to everyone:
It is 06:15pm EST and the wife wants to eat. So I done for today.
3 days of playing with this is way too much.
I guess tomorrow I will have to play with the Intel I211 Adapter and
drivers to see if I can get that work for WOL.

X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:50am
dejianr, I should have said earlier that I do not use WOL and do not have any reason to believe the Aquantia drivers will correct your situation.  I do know this adapter requires the drivers from Aquania for extensive problems experienced in the beginning.  I do not know if you found the threads talking about this, but the bottom line was to get rid of the ASRock modified drivers.  Interestingly it is just the opposite on the Aquantia 10 Gbps NIC on the X399 MBs.  The Aquantia gets no connection with the vendor driver and seems to work fine with the ASRock driver.  I suspect you will have much better luck with the Intel NIC.  It has a great reputation. Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
dejianr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:39pm
Yes it appears the only reason I chose ASROCK over ASUS was the one thing that will not work.
ASROCK does build good boards no question about that. I know there are not a lot of people that use WOL. Since I family all over the country and have cameras that record all night long, I need to be able to stop and start the machines remotely. WOL works perfectly for this task when it works.

I will update once I get around to the Intel drivers and Adapters later today.
Luckliy it is 6 degrees outside and the wife is willing to stay home and keep warm which
gives me more time to fool around. Tomorrow will be  -1, so that is more time.

Thanks to all for your input and help.
X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 9:33pm
dejinar,

Somthing's definitely off here. You NEED to verify WoL/magic packets are arriving at the desired NIC. Only then it makes sense to continue troubleshooting. Thus far I'm seeing 3 pages of 'drivers, drivers, drivers'. Well, I'm not giving you attitude or something, but I'm yet to see a WoL issue with default drivers and settings. It's just works out of the box.

Easiest way to verify if your NIC is receiving magic (packets) - boot some Linux Live USB, run tcpdump. Here is a good guide on TCPDUMP https://danielmiessler.com/study/tcpdump/ I even took it a bit further; you can use this directly tcpdump -i any -nttttXvvve

After starting the tcpdump, go to your router and try sending the magic (packets) to the sniffing machine.

A few other things - I saw someone mentioned VLANs, if you don't have a clue what that is, do not mess with it! From what I gather you have a very simple network topology.

And yet another thing - you won't get any miracles running your 5Gbps card in a 1Gbps network. Any decent router/switch (I personally won't put your ASUS there) should do 1Gbps with decent NIC (your Intel one is a good example) and decent cabling.

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
dejianr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejianr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:14pm
Hey zlobster,

I updated the Intel Lan Drivers this morning and switched the cable to the Intel Lan Card.
Setup the WOL in the GUI Interface. Shut the machine down. Opened the Router and send
the WOL Packet and the machine came up.

So the WOL was working and sending the correct packets to the Lan Card.
The Aquantia card is not reacting to the packet. MisterJ stated that there are
issues with Aquantia adapter/drivers and we have proven that. maybe a future
update will solve the issue. But for now the Aquantia Adapter does not support
WOL is my best guess.

I am using the Intel card and am getting 960-965 Mpbs on downloads. So that will
work.
X370 Fatal1ty
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung EVO 500 gig NVME
Corsair HX850I Power
Corsair H100GT CLC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic