ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 PRO4 - BIOS 4.40 OC Mode Change Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fostek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:06am
THIS IS MY LAST ASROCK PRODUCT.
srdjan1995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srdjan1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:16am
Can someone tell me what is the max voltage I should go for when OC'ing my ryzen 3 1200? I heard something like v1.42 is the max safe voltage. Or can it go a bit higher without damaging the CPU and decreasing it's life span? Thank you :)
donalgodon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:39am
Originally posted by ZTR ZTR wrote:

I downgraded back to 3.30 from 4.40 with no issues although YMMV

It worked for me too. 

I downgraded successfully from 4.40 to 3.30.

The update wasn't great for me. It seemed to be interfering with my Corsair Commander Pro's fan profiles. It sent one fan into full-speed state for no reason. I noticed it only after updating and haven't seen it again since downgrading.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:18am
AGESA updates really mess with fan profiles sometimes, I had to ditch an update or 2 for the same reasons. I wish AMD would just get it sorted and stop running around in circles like a chicken with it's head cut off.... Don't get me wrong, I love my Ryzen build, value for money is insane and the performance, well, 6 cores and 12 threads for the price of an 8th gen i5 or less? What's not to love? I just wish AMD would get it together and get all the kinks worked out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:54am
double post. Sorry.

Edited by donalgodon - 13 Jan 2018 at 5:22am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:12am
Originally posted by ZTR ZTR wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation ZTR Thumbs Up

I was fairly sure that would be the case but I don't take chances with forum member's systems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Clemenator Clemenator wrote:

When I overclock to 3.7 easy way cpuz and task manger say I am running at 2.4
When I overclock using pstates to 3.8 under asrock switch it will not save and under amd switch it saves and bios say it is 3.8 however cupz and task manger say it is 2.7 

It is not a visual only bug my computer is running much slower like stock or under.

So literally for me overclocking underclocks the cpu ryzen 1600

Last note the voltage will stay at what I change it to and so will the ram just not the cpu   

Did you try flashing back to 3.30?
Clemenator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clemenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:35pm
When I overclock to 3.7 easy way cpuz and task manger say I am running at 2.4
When I overclock using pstates to 3.8 under asrock switch it will not save and under amd switch it saves and bios say it is 3.8 however cupz and task manger say it is 2.7 

It is not a visual only bug my computer is running much slower like stock or under.

So literally for me overclocking underclocks the cpu ryzen 1600

Last note the voltage will stay at what I change it to and so will the ram just not the cpu   

Edited by Clemenator - 12 Jan 2018 at 4:36pm
ZTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:37pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:32pm
You can almost always back flash the UEFI, the only exception is when there is a major microcode update (added CPU generation support), sometimes in this instance you will brick the board because the older BIOS does not contain it's microcode version and you end up with a new microcode and an old BIOS that does not know how to handle it.

UEFI/BIOS updates don't always include microcode updates, you can update one without the other. With AMD this shouldn't be an issue, this kind of problem usually only happens with intel boards that receive updates to support a new CPU generation, Sandy -> Ivy, Haswell -> Broadwell etc. If you look at boards on ASRock's website you will note all the earlier gen intel boards only have UEFI updates listed that were released after the new gen support was added. This is to help users avoid bricking their boards by rolling back partially (without restoring the old microcode). 

As I said, AMD doesn't usually suffer from this issue as much. Personally I tend to prefer not rolling back a version number (v5.XX -> v4.XX/v3.XX) The change in version number usually signifies a large change which could include a microcode update. If a system is running well and is stable I always advise against BIOS updates. AM4 boards in particular seem to be more prone to bad flashes for some reason, you can see this on all the motherboard manufacturer forums, some quirk of the AGESA code they haven't worked out yet maybe..... 

Rule of thumb when it comes to rolling back BIOS versions, if the version number has changed, 1.XX - 2.XX, then don't do it. You are almost always safe with a rollback within a version, 1.10 -> 1.95 -> 1.20 for example. ASRock will usually pull older versions when it becomes unsafe to back flash to them however. If you really need to back flash a full version number or more then contact ASRock via support ticket and inquire, they can tell you with 100% certainty. I flash up and down all the time when writing reviews and trying to push overclocks to the limit but I tend to have backup boards on hand if something goes wrong, touch wood, it hasn't backfired on me yet.

Edited by Xaltar - 11 Jan 2018 at 1:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic