ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 - CPU fans, but no debug error codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgzeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 - CPU fans, but no debug error codes
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:23am
Hi all,

I have an X399 Taichi motherboard that has never successfully POSTed. Currently, with a minimal hardware setup (CPU, heatsink, 1 stick of RAM in A2), I get no boot progress and no debug error codes when attempting a boot from the motherboard power button (but I do get CPU fans and of course the decorative LEDs). 

Am I correct in thinking that aside from a BIOS reflash, I only have an RMA remaining to troubleshoot?

A summary of my previous troubleshooting:
----
The overall symptom profile is reminiscent of a previous topic (http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6211&PN=1&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up); that person also had only LEDs and no debug codes, but unlike me, also had no CPU fans spinning.

Prior to this issue, I at least had a C0 code; my initial research uncovered the need for both the 4+4 and the 4-pin 12V lines. I got another cable for the 4-pin line (confirmed compatibility with ATX standard diagrams and comparing pin-to-pin correspondence with a multimeter). This still didn't clear the C0 code, so I removed all component parts and inspected the CPU and socket. The pins looked ok; I did find some dust on the CPU interface, which I blew off with some compressed air.

After reseating the CPU and reassembling a minimal setup (CPU, heatsink, 1 stick of RAM in A2), I now had no debug codes (and also no fan). I then attempted a battery-removal CMOS reset, which brought back the CPU fan.

I have checked the power connectors for orientation and fit on both the MB and the PSU side. I could attempt another CPU reseat, but 1) I'd expect an error code from a bad reseat, and 2) I had a lot of trouble getting the screws to catch each time (Foxconn socket), and I don't want to do that futilely.

While the PSU is lower-rated than most TR builds, I don't plan to overclock, and I have a low-wattage GPU. My expected power draw should, in principle, fit well within the envelope of a 650W unit.

The RAM could potentially be an issue (I didn't realize how finicky TR RAM compatibility could be), but I expect an error code from an issue there, not a lack of codes.

Part listing:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-core/32-thread)
Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi
Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140mm CPU air cooler
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White) (x2 Kits to equal 64 GB total)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Graphics Card (GT1030-2G-CSM) 
SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT1050MX300SSD4
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
rgzeta, never too early to get ASRock Technical support involved.  What UEFI version are you running?  Can you open UEFI?  Do you have both 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power cables connected?  Are they both CPU and not PCIe and oriented correctly.  More than one person had a 4-pin rotated 90 degrees.  Also make sure the PCIe power connectors are correct.  Can you beg/borrow a higher power power supply?
Debug codes link:  http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
C0 - OEM BDS initialization codes                     BDS is Boot Device Selection.  What are you trying to boot?  Can you try booting an old time SATA drive?  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
rgzeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgzeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

rgzeta, never too early to get ASRock Technical support involved.  What UEFI version are you running?  Can you open UEFI?  Do you have both 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power cables connected?  Are they both CPU and not PCIe and oriented correctly.  More than one person had a 4-pin rotated 90 degrees.  Also make sure the PCIe power connectors are correct.  Can you beg/borrow a higher power power supply?
Debug codes link:  http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
C0 - OEM BDS initialization codes                     BDS is Boot Device Selection.  What are you trying to boot?  Can you try booting an old time SATA drive?  Enjoy, John.

I don't know what UEFI version I have, as I can't get it to POST, much less get to the UEFI screen.

I do have both cables; both are connected; both are indeed CPU and not PCIe; both are oriented correctly, unless I've suddenly developed spatial visualization problems. I'm aware of the possibility of rotating the 4-pin by 90 degrees and have checked for that.

One thing to consider - the second 12V CPU cable (used in the 4-pin slot) doesn't have the in-line capacitor that the ones that come with my PSU do. I don't think that should materially affect things, but maybe they do?

Borrowing a higher wattage PSU from another system is perhaps possible, but I'd want to be pretty sure that it'll help to justify off-lining that.

I'm technically not attaching any storage media (really I just want to get to UEFI).
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
Issues like this, the most concrete way to find out what is wrong is replacing each part (or testing each part in a known working PC) until you get a working system. Expensive and/or inconvenient, sure, but beats speculation.
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic