FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAGESA PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Dibdidu Dibdidu wrote:

Be warned when using the 350B itx/ac and APU.
Dont update to 4.40
Look here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7337&title=ab350-gamingitx-ac-bios-440-bricked-it

This is so anecdotal I won't comment.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by foppe foppe wrote:

I appreciate that, but I do find it rather disturbing how (in my case) 4.20 was released only to be retracted, and that the ab350m already got a new bios *again* after 4.30 was released for it last week, with no indication as to why and what was changed/fixed.

Be concerned with the releases for YOUR board.
Dibdidu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Yes, just his and my experience.
My board isnt running after this update to 4.40.
Thats why there is a forum.
To share experiences. ;-)
Heckinwoofer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
Any idea why the DRAM voltage can't go past 1.35V in 4.40? The option is there but the value keeps changing back.
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:10pm
Thanks Wardog.
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
I think a lot of the issues we see stem from the fact that AMD are playing catch-up. Intel is not without it's issues but where it comes to platform support and stability they have a lot of experience over AMD. AMD has not had a new architecture for over a decade before Ryzen hit, they got used to the simplicity of releasing minor UEFI tweaks and microcode updates during that time. Ryzen was nowhere near ready at the time of it's release. The firmware alone needed another 6 months to a year of vigorous testing and tweaking in conjunction with other hardware manufacturers. This never happened.

Now they are pumping out AGESA updates like crazy trying to catch up and mitigate performance and stability deficits when compared to intel. AMD are not being as careful and thorough with their testing as manufacturers are used to. On top of that there are users clamoring that updates are not flowing fast enough, X or Y vendor already released updates for this, why doesn't my board have an update yet? etc. When intel releases a major core platform update it is fairly safe to assume it has been thoroughly tested, it's changes documented and distributed to hardware vendors and major bugs and tweaks have already been addressed. I can only guess but I am almost 100% certain the same is NOT true of AMD with Ryzen.

Yes, we are seeing some fairly high instances of bricked boards via UEFI update issues and failures but this is not happening to all boards. This indicates either an issue with particular hardware combinations or users not following the proper procedure when updating. I frequently find that a user has failed to restore factory defaults before updating for example. This alone can easily cause issues, especially if the system isn't completely stable at the overclock the user has set. In a fair number of cases with the newest updates however it does seem that certain hardware seems to be resulting in failed (bricked) updates. 

I have passed this information on to ASRock and they are looking into the issue. They have a lot to deal with regarding Ryzen with the demand for updates being what it is. They must walk a fine line between trusting AMD did their due diligence in testing and not trusting them and running more tests in house before updates are released. This takes time, often resulting in angry users over slow update releases. It does not help that users flock here or use the ticket system to demand updates ASAP. 

This is not an ASRock specific issue by any means and my post applies to other brands too. I am not defending ASRock or just pointing fingers at AMD. AMD did what they needed to in order to remain viable and now are shoring up the issues that move caused. It isn't surprising and I don't hold it against them, my Ryzen system is the best system I have owned in years. 

Edited by Xaltar - 18 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
Well said, I think you outline the situation very well.
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Dibdidu Dibdidu wrote:

Thats why there is a forum.
To share experiences. ;-)

Thumbs Up
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Heckinwoofer Heckinwoofer wrote:

Any idea why the DRAM voltage can't go past 1.35V in 4.40? The option is there but the value keeps changing back.

You should create a Sig.

As to why, no. I don't have your board to test with.

Fire off a msg at https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp and ask them to check this.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This indicates either an issue with particular hardware combinations or users not following the proper procedure when updating. I frequently find that a user has failed to restore factory defaults before updating for example. This alone can easily cause issues, especially if the system isn't completely stable at the overclock the user has set. In a fair number of cases with the newest updates however it does seem that certain hardware seems to be resulting in failed (bricked) updates.

Yes folks. I agree.

I have been in computing now for decades. Even owned my own shop at one time.

Buying the parts and building it isn't scratching the surface.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic